• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Newbie question here!!

everyreggie

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
Ok so I am new to long range shooting and will be taking a long range class in the near future, but would like to get a jump on things at the range.

My question is this...theoretically if all things were equal and I was zeroed at 100yds, how many clicks of elevation would I need to have to be in the same place on target at 200,300,and so on out to say 1000 yds? I have a Viper Vortex 6.5x20x50 on a 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie question here!!

You're missing a few variables to be able to determine that. Muzzle velocity (Bullet speed) in FPS for one. Temp, elevation, etc.

and you don't want to determine "clicks". Determine bullet drop in inches and convert that to whatever your scope uses (MOA or Mils).

thanks for the heads up!
Muzzle veocity - 2620
temp - 85 degrees
Elevation - 150ft
MOA - 1/4

I can do the math on the inches, Thanks!

If you can load your 6.5 Grendel so that your muzzle velocity is the speed of light you can just use a peep sight. Get some data on your caliber/bullet and go to jbm calculator.