• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

newbie questions about my 45 70

brknshk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
redmond, oregon
hey guys im new to the 45-70 round, i recently bought one to go hunt elk with this year. does anyone here have experience with the 45-70 and would it be a better round than my 7mm rem mag as far as hunting elk with? ive heard horror stories from my buddies about elk soaking up lead and i dont want to have to track for 3 days if i hit one with my 308 or 7mm. is this stuff true they tell me? any opinions would be great, i have hornady leverevolution rounds for my 45 70 right now. they are 325gr ftx with muzzle vel at 2050 fps and how far out do you guys think this round would be effective to?

Re: newbie questions about my 45 70

There is tons of "Internet Lore" out there and you can't believe most of what you read. With the proper bullet/load, as well as proper shot placement, the 7mm Mag will perform adequately on Elk-size game. Is it "ideal"...no. Will it do the job...absolutely yes.

As for the 45-70 Gov't...it is an excellent Elk cartridge (again...with proper ammo suited to Elk and proper shot placement). I have successfully used the .45-70 on Elk with the following loads:

1) Corbon DPX loaded w/ 300gr Barnes X-Bullets (appr. 1900fps and 2400ft/lbs);

2) Buffalo Bore 350gr +P JFP (appr. 2050fps and 3300ft/lbs); and

3) Garrett Cartridges 420gr +P Hammerhead (**-this is my pet load for anything in North America!! 1850fps with 3200ft/lbs).

I have not had a chance to hunt with the LeveRevolution ammo yet, but if you head over to the Marlin Owners forums, you should be able to get some more info. They are certainly accurate enough and powerful enough for 200yd (give or take) Elk shots, but I don't know about terminal performance.

Good luck!!!

You didn't say what rifle you have, but there are some hot loads for the modern stronger action 45-70's that are just a whisker under the .458 Win Mag energy wise. And don't forget that many a buffalo was taken with the 45-70.

However as stated above, shot placement is everything. I had a 45-70 and loved shooting it. Rainbow trajectory and you could watch the bullet in flight lots of times.
smile.gif

Pete makes an excellent point and one that I kinda took for granted but need to make clear...

All of the loads I mentioned in my first post are NOT, repeat...ABSOLUTELY NOT...for use in anything other than modern Marlin 1985 Lever Actions, modern Browning lever actions, Ruger No. 1 and similar rifles!!! Especially the Garrett Hammerhead load!!

Friends and i have shot quite a bit of game with 45/70's and they truly do thump game with authority. Obviously its not like your 7mm as far as trajectory but within its range it will put down anything....................for feral pig sized game I like the soft 300gr Hollowpoints. The speer 400 gr Flat nose is also expands violently. While for your Elk I would load some woodleigh 405 gr Flat noses, these expand VERY well but hang together they produce perfect mushrooms.

im sorry guys its a single shot new england rifle. ive heard that i need to use a lighter on the side load.

Absolutely...I think all factory ammo is labeled as to what rifle it is safe in but I would still only shoot factory stuff that was made for the Springfield Trapdoor in your H&R.

There are three classes of actions for the 45-70. You might get a Sierra reloading manual - it tells you exactly what is what. The round is fun and very simple to handload for though. I shot some brass loaded with black powder and 405gr lead bullets and it was great. The smell is wonderful.
smile.gif