• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie Rifle Build!

KUDA

General Spike
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Western ,NC.
Hey Guys
I've been lurking around a while,I've decided to finnally do a rifle build
I'm no sniper by any means,but I have a good eye...LOL
I have an FN SPR A1 now,heavy NON fluted barrel
not much info out there about these rifles though,so I'm looking to sell or trade it to get this project going

Kinda wanting to get into a 700 action
700p or 5R
I like the 308 round,but I like the 300 WM too!
On a buget, Grandpa with small kids too..LOL

anyway,looking at doing a 20 inch barrel set up,wanna hunt with it too..any issues with wanting this??
Wanna go with a mag set up for sure

Any insight or help would be awesome!,
cant post my rifle here yet,havent hit 100 posts yet
any interest in it though,hit me up

looking forward to lots of advise!
Heres what I have now,topped with an Elite 4200,8-32x40
under 100 rds,way more accurate than me so far!

Should I keep this one and build on it??,Im told ya really dont wanna cut down the barrel due to the Chrome line???
Thanks in advance!

fnspra1010.jpg

fnspra1014.jpg

fnspra1006.jpg

Re: Newbie Rifle Build!

looks good. Do a search here for much better answers than I could provide to all your specific questions

Keep the FN!! Same or better qualuty as a 5R Remington. There is nothing wrong with cutting down a crome lined barrel. CDI makes FN bottom metal for magazines that run AI magazines, keep your stock (its a McMillian, cant get much better!). You could have it fully bedded, might could help accuracy..... mabey.

I belive you would make a huge mistake selling the rifle, just because there is not alot of info on these say compared to the vanillia Remington does not mean that they are not excellent rifles.

Matter of fact, I'm hunting with one right now!

Good luck with your decision!

cool,good info, can it be rebarreled for the 300 wm round?
Im now reading where you can get the aftermarket stuff for them!

300wm is a long action, and your bolt face is wrong, it could be opened up and run the wsm. With that about of money involved you would probably be better off selling or trading yours and starting over, however you have a nice rifle now.

A 20" barrel will do everything you want. .308 is an excellent round but you sound unsure of yourself to move away from the .300 WM (and I don't blame you). .300 WM is a great 1000 yard cartridge, whereas you can also reach 1000 yards but you'll work harder, IMHO.

And if you hunt bigger game than deer from time to time, you might want to stay with the .300 WM. Maybe just cut back your barrel (or re-barrel with a fine custom barrel)?

That's a nice rig you already have. Looks like a great balance for hunting/tactical rig as-is.

If you want a detachable magazine, just get a badger bottom metal (or other vendor's). I'm not sure what's out there for the FN but likely there are a few vendors that can supply you with something.

This spr already has the det mag,Im thinking Im gonna stay with it,maybe have the barrel cut,and go with a cdi bottom metal with a *5 & 10 rders
anyone know any place that will do the barrel?
ceracoating?good stuff or bad?
and a good set of 1 inch rings ,have weavers on it now,they work but in need of upgrade
I wanna do the 20' barrel for sure,ive read that ill lose a little speed but thats ok
I can always do a 300 later for big game

I have steel TPS rings, they're pretty nice, heavy, but they're steel so that's a given, alledgedly they're CS sucks so I wouldn't get their alloy ones.
20" is fine on a .308, unless you want ever bit of velocity you can get. 20" is not so great on a 300WM or 300WSM, both are pretty overbore and need barrel length to burn their powder charges, you'll generally lose more velocity and gain muzzle flash and noise going short with them compared to a .308.