• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newbie to reloading

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
After doing a ton of research, I am finally investing in some reloading equipment.

I have a .223 rem, proof 1:7 SS turned into a bighorn origin.

Will be placing my first order for powder, bullets, brass, and primers. Seems like everyone has they’re special take.

For first time ordering components, where should I start with components?

I am a complete newb with reloading, please understand that haha.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: 338dude
You do better to search with your title and read the threads that already exist with this question

With a 1:7 you can go up to 90 gr bullets comfortably stabilized.
I’d look for something in the 75-80 gr range as they offer a significant increase in performance over a 55-69 gr bullets but still get decent velocity.

There are a dozen (or considerably more) sites I check for components frequently: Powder Valley, Grafs, Midsouth, Midway, Natchez etc... Some are much more expensive at times (or have a good sale going) than others, so I'll never purchase from one without checking the others first.

Ammoseek has a reloading components section that'll show you what's in stock with comparative pricing among probably 150 sites or more. If you are looking for something exact, this is my first choice.