• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
Hows it going all. I was wondering could anyone tell me what is the best way to get into gunsmithing? I have asked the guys around town and no one seems to have the time or the drive to want to take some "young kid" in and help educate me so that I can continue to serve the shooting community. Please guide me.

Re: Newbie

If you can get a shop to let you "sweep the floor and ask questions" that might be a good way to get some information. I learned how to make chips before I learned anything about making chips into weapons.

Welcome to the forum.

I am no gunsmith by any means. But like any trade the first step is to take classes. Become certified on as many manufacturers as you can. Like other trades, once you learn and master one name, the others just fall into place. Every firearm does the same thing, manufacturers just use a slightly diffrent method or parts to get it done. Once you get some education under your belt see if a local gunsmith would be willing to take an apprentice. You probably wont get paid much, if at all, but you will have the knowledge and equipment to gain the experience you need. Try and gain some experience as a machinist. If you already know how to operate the equipment the better off you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hang out with cka, no really learn as an apprentice and time </div></div>
who is cka and where can I find him. Im in Las Vegas, Nv.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryznstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hang out with cka, no really learn as an apprentice and time </div></div>
who is cka and where can I find him. Im in Las Vegas, Nv. </div></div>

he is just fucking with you man he lives here in Texas!!!! LOL but if you want to learn gunsmithing take a look at Colorado school of trades I am getting ready to attend in December to learn gunsmithing myself

Trinidad Co. has a good school I heard?

Most of the guys I have asked have been Jerks or very politely explained that having someone looking over their shoulder and asking questions would take time to answer. and time = money so a seemingly free endeavor, even getting mundane work done for free, wouldn't be worth their while.

So my tuition has been spent collecting tools when I can and trying to repair and restore things I come by, and I am too stubborn and cheap to pay someone to do something I could do myself. It might just take me a little longer to figure it out.
I am, however not certified, so I am limited to tinkering with my own stuff.

Well I wouldn't mind doing the same thing until I can get certified. However I don't understand things like "head space, jeweled trigger, etc." I mean what tools do I need to figure that stuff out where do I start for heaven sake how do I change out a barrel...????

I started doing machine work in 1970. I did an apprenticeship as a machinist and another as a tool and die maker. I still don't think of myself as a "gunsmith". But I have done a lot of repairs and alterations.

To start with. I don't know how mechanically talented you are but get a book on Mechanical Drawings. I know "Audels" put out several technical books on blueprints, machining and welding. All can come in handy. Gun Digest puts out a series of books. One on pistols & revolvers, rifles, shotguns, rifles and law enforcement weapons. Also NRA has a couple of books available on firearms assembly. Check Brownell's web site. They have a ton of different books to help with specific applications.

Read a lot before you actually start making chips

Good luck. I wish you well.