• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Newbies shouldn't waste their time or money...

valentin_84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Arizona
There are so many stupid thing we get suckered into when we first get into shooting. Let's help a newbie out!

I'll start first...

Newbies shouldn't waste their time or money <span style="font-weight: bold">breaking in a barrel!

</span>

Re: Newbies shouldn't waste their time or money...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">noobs should <span style="font-weight: bold"> research </span> info first and start new threads last </div></div>
This, it would help new members avoid wasting their money, as well as other members time, and bandwidth.

Newbies should read the title and understand the subject of a forum.

Hey, speaking of which, WTF does this have to do with gunsmithing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newbies should read the title and understand the subject of a forum.

Hey, speaking of which, WTF does this have to do with gunsmithing? </div></div>

LMFAO
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF does this have to do with gunsmithing? </div></div>

Um, I think it has to do with how most wasted money and time is by having things done that are not needed or buying crap parts to install they don't work...

Buy all your firearms from Red Jacket and ONLY use Counter Sniper scopes.
Shop for ammo with used bullets in it. A much better deal and you really don't need new bullets.

Seriously, you should have put this in a more suitable subject area as it has nothing to do with gunsmithing.

Re:Newbies shouldn't waste their time reading this

The critical issues for optics are:

For what do you intend to use it?

U get what your pay for.

No one with any degree of metaphysialcertainty can say USO v. S & B V Zeiss V. Hensoldt v Premier is the better

.......Reading stupid threads that offer no knowlege and waste hide members time and band width.

get'em Kenda.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newbies should read the title and understand the subject of a forum.

Hey, speaking of which, WTF does this have to do with gunsmithing?</div></div>
Kenda, this is the best reply I have seen in a long time, thank you!

I frequent a motorcycle forum that has a "Great quotes from this site" thread (or something like that). This would definitely be a prime candidate. A thread like that would not work around here though because there is just way to much hilarious shit that gets said on any given day.

No suplus ammo
No scopes $200 and under (Bushnell 10X $180 OK)
No barrel clamped bipods
If you don't reload - buy a variety of good ammo and see which your rifle likes
Write your dope down, and buy or get a rangefinder
If you get a Mildot scope buy a Mildot Master

Why do you say, "No surplus ammo?" I have a feeling I know why (this being predominantly a precision shooting site & all), just curious if that is where you were headed.

I don't mind running surplus through an AR (which I rarely shoot) or a pistol (IF you know what you are getting yourself into), but buying a case of 147 gr. de-linked 7.62 to run through your first bolt gun because it is the cheapest thing you can find... probably not such a hot idea.

Honestly, I've gotten too the point where if a newbie asks if buying a mosin, throwing a tasco scope, ATI stock, bipod and using it for precision is a good idea.

I just dumb myself down and say minute of lawnchair is acceptable.

Just saying - surplus ammo is for minute-o-duck stuff, milk jugs and tv sets at 100yds - kind of a waste except for blasting stuff

If your honing your skills - use quality ammo

pick up a book and read it understand it so we don't have theards about rotational drift as they but it at 200 yds with a 22lr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a .22 and learn use it. </div></div>

AND! dont buy Factory bolt guns and think you can make it a precision rifle... after all is said and done the only thing left is the trued action and maybe the bolt... Ask me how I know!

YAY! ANOTHER barrel break in thread!
crazy.gif

Biggest things I noted about newbs and my experience when I was a newb.

-Buying guns because they look cool or are in a movie is a huge waste.

-Buying guns you haven't tried. Pistols especially. Just hit up any indoor range and try them. Do it a bunch of times over a couple months and then come to a decision.

-Trying to save a buck buying something cheap is pretty much throwing that money away. Later you'll end up throwing it in a box or breaking it.

-Buying the biggest and loudest gun. Stopping power means nothing if you can't hit shit.

-Waste any money on tactical gear. You're not going to have a clue what nylon shit is going to work for you and your situation until after you've had some familiarization with a platform and marksmanship. Fill a sock or old BDU sleeve with sand and tie it off for a rear bag. Shoot off of whatever backpack you have for hiking. Grab whatever duffle bag you have an make it a range bag. Put mags in your pants pockets. And so on. Eyeball other shooters gear and ask to try it out.

-Once you have picked out a pistol, don't consider strapping it to your side to look all tactical and shit, spend a few weeks familiarizing yourself with it. Dry fire with the loaded mags and ammo in another room. Lock the slide back, release it, work the mag release. During this entire time make sure to observe the rules of firearms safety. Don't become complacent. Then when you are familiar with the pistol, start the process of choosing a holster. Find a firearms knowledgeable friend and try as many of his as possible. Most likely he'll have quite a few after years of searching for the perfect holster. Just start with a plain hip holster at first. No drop legs, shoulder rigs, cross draw or appendix carry. Finally get one that's either leather or kydex. Don't go cheap. Once you have that holster, yet again practice for a few weeks drawing CORRECTLY from that holster while observing the rules of firearms safety. (Again keep loaded mags and ammo in a different room.)

-Don't trust gun rags. Read forums. Find experienced shooters and tag along with them. If they spend more time talking about bacon and beer than they do actually shooting don't go shooting with them, go to their barbeques instead.

-Shooting is about marksmanship. Any time you go shooting, make it about marksmanship. Challenge yourself. Don't waste your money yanking the trigger as fast as you can because it sounds cool. If you want to make loud noises just go to the Indian reservation and buy some fireworks.

-Your first guns should be platforms that are widespread, well regarded and common. Parts and accessories will be easier to obtain or try out. Maintenance will be cheaper. Knowledge from other shooters and forums will be greater. (Like:Rem 700, AR-15, Glock, 1911, 870, 10/22)

-When you can, buy American. The larger our firearms industry grows the better it is for maintaining our 2nd amendment rights. It leads to more positive visibility in the public eye. More money, more jobs, more power.

-Don't blame you guns and gear for your misgivings as a shooter. It just leads to a deadly cycle of buying and selling in search of an unobtainable "perfection".

-Strongly consider firearms training instead of a new gun or fun new gear.

-Read, don't argue. Listen and absorb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a .22 and learn use it. </div></div>

AND! dont buy Factory bolt guns and think you can make it a precision rifle... after all is said and done the only thing left is the trued action and maybe the bolt... Ask me how I know! </div></div>

hehehehe.... so true my friend... so very true...

I just ordered the following as a package:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rem 700 barreled action (Heavy Barrel) w/New X-mark pro trigger
Badger Oversized Knob for the bolt
B&C stock A2 stock (Selling)
Wyatts Bottom Metal with 2 5rd. Mags. (Might Sell)
Talley 20 MOA Picatinny Base </span>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
While waiting for this to come in, I've done research and ordered the following

<span style="font-weight: bold">Manners MCS-T4A in Gap 3 Color desert (reason why I am selling the B&C A2)
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 zero stop with NP-R1 reticle
Nightforce rings</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Im debating on selling the Wyatts with the 2 5 round mags to buy the Badger Bottom metal... Not sure though, I've already told Manners that the bottom metal was going to be Wyatt's, so not sure if the Badger can be inletted after the fact... </span></span></span> <span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">(any help here would be nice)</span></span></span>

Once I get it all in the Manners, I will shoot it and see how it is shooting. Most likely I will send it out to have the action trued, and the stock bedded, and a new barrel maybe....

so like you said, very little is left stock.....

Newbies shouldn't waste their time or money...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest things I noted about newbs and my experience when I was a newb.

-Buying guns you haven't tried. Pistols especially. Just hit up any indoor range and try them. Do it a bunch of times over a couple months and then come to a decision.

-Trying to save a buck buying something cheap is pretty much throwing that money away. Later you'll end up throwing it in a box or breaking it.

-Buying the biggest and loudest gun. Stopping power means nothing if you can't hit shit.

-Waste any money on tactical gear. You're not going to have a clue what nylon shit is going to work for you and your situation until after you've had some familiarization with a platform and marksmanship. Fill a sock or old BDU sleeve with sand and tie it off for a rear bag. Shoot off of whatever backpack you have for hiking. Grab whatever duffle bag you have an make it a range bag. Put mags in your pants pockets. And so on. Eyeball other shooters gear and ask to try it out.

-Once you have picked out a pistol, don't consider strapping it to your side to look all tactical and shit, spend a few weeks familiarizing yourself with it. Dry fire with the loaded mags and ammo in another room. Lock the slide back, release it, work the mag release. During this entire time make sure to observe the rules of firearms safety. Don't become complacent. Then when you are familiar with the pistol, start the process of choosing a holster. Find a firearms knowledgeable friend and try as many of his as possible. Most likely he'll have quite a few after years of searching for the perfect holster. Just start with a plain hip holster at first. No drop legs, shoulder rigs, cross draw or appendix carry. Finally get one that's either leather or kydex. Don't go cheap. Once you have that holster, yet again practice for a few weeks drawing CORRECTLY from that holster while observing the rules of firearms safety. (Again keep loaded mags and ammo in a different room.)

-Don't trust gun rags. Read forums. Find experienced shooters and tag along with them. If they spend more time talking about bacon and beer than they do actually shooting don't go shooting with them, go to their barbeques instead.

-Shooting is about marksmanship. Any time you go shooting, make it about marksmanship. Challenge yourself. Don't waste your money yanking the trigger as fast as you can because it sounds cool. If you want to make loud noises just go to the Indian reservation and buy some fireworks.

-Your first guns should be platforms that are widespread, well regarded and common. Parts and accessories will be easier to obtain or try out. Maintenance will be cheaper. Knowledge from other shooters and forums will be greater. (Like:Rem 700, AR-15, Glock, 1911, 870, 10/22)

-When you can, buy American. The larger our firearms industry grows the better it is for maintaining our 2nd amendment rights. It leads to more positive visibility in the public eye. More money, more jobs, more power.

-Don't blame you guns and gear for your misgivings as a shooter. It just leads to a deadly cycle of buying and selling in search of an unobtainable "perfection".

-Read, don't argue. Listen and absorb. </div></div>

Good stuff man, thank you!

Assuming this is about gunsmithing and not derailed....

1. verify information and use common sense to seperate opinion from fact. Hard to do in the firearms world.
2. Learn from other's mistakes.
3. Learn from your mistakes.
4. As with all things start small, you don't go out back and build a deck if you've never built a bird house.
5. Learn from your mistakes.
6. Listen and read a lot, talk much much less.
7. Do not start an expensive project with cheap tools, quality will produce quality.
8. Apprentice if possible, even if you have 'blah blah blah' background, hands on experience is better than reading and SWAGing if you can not afford to replace that custom-whizbang-paper-puncher-7000-kaboomenshooter
9. Learn from your mistakes

What NOT to do....well I do not know near enough to tell someone what not to do, your firearm your choice and many are wiser and more learned than I on this subject.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest things I noted about newbs and my experience when I was a newb.

-Read, don't argue. Listen and absorb. </div></div>

Do you know what sucks?

I've taken 25 years to learn all these lessons. I have a sneaking suspicion that you've been doing this a lot shorter of a time.
blush.gif

Good show!