• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newcastle Brown Ale fans

trg

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2003
Iceland
Any New Castle Brown Ale fans out there?
Or brown ale fans in general?

I've only known brown ale for a few years, but it's becoming one of my favorite types.

Feel free to recommend some brown ale brands.

Re: Newcastle Brown Ale fans

Big Newcastle fan here. One of my favorite beers. By the way, good Seneca quotation in your sig line.

Love the brown(Dark, Chestnut, Porter, Black, in finitum) ales as well as the Reds(Ruby, you get the idea)
Try the Wytchwood Bountiful

beer-cask-bountiful.jpg

The Hobgoblin Ruby is freakin awesome too

beer-cask-bottle-hobgoblin.jpg

From New Belgium Brewing is the 1554 Black Ale that is quite good

beers_1554.png

Oh man, now I got me a powerful thirst!

Newcastle loves me, and I love it... unconditionally. I would not put it in the same category as Guinness, as Guinness is thicker and considered a Dry Stout. It's a Mild Ale, and tends to be maltier and sweeter on the palate, with a fuller body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any New Castle Brown Ale fans out there?

I've only known brown ale for a few years, but it's becoming one of my favorite types.

</div></div>

How long have you got?

Well, from the big breweries of course you've got 'Newcastle Brown Ale' from 'Scottish and Newcastle', but the bad news on that front is that Carlsberg (The owners) have just closed the brewery in Newcastle, so it won't be "Newcastle" Brown Ale anymore.

You could look at "Black Sheep Breweries", from Masham in North Yorkshire. Their best bitter is good. As is 'Old Peculiar' from just up the road at the 'Theakston's' brewery. Black Sheep is owned by another Theakston brother, the 'black sheep' of the family.

Moving South, we have the 'Wychwood' brewery. My personal favourite is 'Hobgoblin' but they have a few good beers.

'Bishops Finger' from 'Shepherd Neam' is good, as is 'Boddingtons', although not truly a brown ale.

I could wax lyrical on this subject for hours, and I have the 'beer belly' to prove it, but it's late here and time for my bed!

Anybody seriously interested can pm me. I have made it a lifelong quest to sample as much different beer as I possibly can. Though not a world authority, I AM a <span style="font-style: italic">VERY</span> dedicated amateur.

Oh, an as an aside, NEWCASTLE (all one word) Brown ale is known as Dog round these parts. You would walk into the pub and tell the barman "A bottle of Dog please mate".

I hope this helps.

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG-

+1 Newcastle!!!!

IMHO Newcastle is tied with Guinness for best beverage ever to come out of a tap/bottle. Smooth, even flavor, and a pleasure to drink. Not a fan of the light colored beers/ales. Rather drink water than Miller, Budweiser. Might I suggest O'Dells Cuthroat Porter- brewed here in my home town. Found it back east last year but not sure if it is going overseas.

Been to Newcastle a few times, the brewery, and follow the Magpies when I can. No longer a Premier team (screw Manchester United) but that should change in the next few months.
Pretty cool looking town- changed/cleaned up nicely since the early 90's. I go up there to hang out on Hadrian's Wall-coolest place on that island.

Han

Regards </div></div>

Hey Han,

Next time you're over here call me! We can drink, AND shoot (obviously not at the same time, or we can shoot first drink later!)

Check out 'Cuddy Craggs' on the wall. Plus I can take you to the spot on the wall used in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood film.

Plus, you MUST visit Bamborough castle.

PM me for more!!

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG-

+1 Newcastle!!!!

IMHO Newcastle is tied with Guinness for best beverage ever to come out of a tap/bottle. Smooth, even flavor, and a pleasure to drink. Not a fan of the light colored beers/ales. Rather drink water than Miller, Budweiser. Might I suggest O'Dells Cuthroat Porter- brewed here in my home town. Found it back east last year but not sure if it is going overseas.

Been to Newcastle a few times, the brewery, and follow the Magpies when I can. No longer a Premier team (screw Manchester United) but that should change in the next few months.
Pretty cool looking town- changed/cleaned up nicely since the early 90's. I go up there to hang out on Hadrian's Wall-coolest place on that island.

Han

Regards </div></div>

Hey Han.

Did you check out those Belgian beers I recommended?

Colorado is becoming one of my must visit places in the world. It combines two of my favorite hobbies,
mountain biking and beer.
I can just imagine biking across the mountains all day and finishing the day with some micro brewery beer at night, sounds like perfection to me!

If I ever moved to the US, Colorado would be my first choice.

Best regards

TRG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
beers_1554.png

</div></div>

By far one of the best!
+1554

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big Newcastle fan here. One of my favorite beers. By the way, good Seneca quotation in your sig line. </div></div>

Thanks. I got that quote from the God Delusion by
Richard Dawkins, and it's a book I can highly recommend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the brown(Dark, Chestnut, Porter, Black, in finitum) ales as well as the Reds(Ruby, you get the idea)
Try the Wytchwood Bountiful

beer-cask-bountiful.jpg

The Hobgoblin Ruby is freakin awesome too

beer-cask-bottle-hobgoblin.jpg

beers_1554.png

Oh man, now I got me a powerful thirst! </div></div>

So many US brands I haven't tasted, I've tasted the main one's like Samuel Adams, Brooklyn, Anchor and Sierra Nevada.

But not the good micro breweries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any New Castle Brown Ale fans out there?

</div></div>

How long have you got?

Well, from the big breweries of course you've got 'Newcastle Brown Ale' from 'Scottish and Newcastle', but the bad news on that front is that Carlsberg (The owners) have just closed the brewery in Newcastle, so it won't be "Newcastle" Brown Ale anymore.

You could look at "Black Sheep Breweries", from Masham in North Yorkshire. Their best bitter is good. As is 'Old Peculiar' from just up the road at the 'Theakston's' brewery. Black Sheep is owned by another Theakston brother, the 'black sheep' of the family.

Moving South, we have the 'Wychwood' brewery. My personal favourite is 'Hobgoblin' but they have a few good beers.

'Bishops Finger' from 'Shepherd Neam' is good, as is 'Boddingtons', although not truly a brown ale.

I could wax lyrical on this subject for hours, and I have the 'beer belly' to prove it, but it's late here and time for my bed!

Anybody seriously interested can pm me. I have made it a lifelong quest to sample as much different beer as I possibly can. Though not a world authority, I AM a <span style="font-style: italic">VERY</span> dedicated amateur.

Oh, an as an aside, NEWCASTLE (all one word) Brown ale is known as Dog round these parts. You would walk into the pub and tell the barman "A bottle of Dog please mate".

I hope this helps.

Neil </div></div>

Hey Neil.

I'm becoming a big fan of English Ale in general.
Young's and Fullers are one of my favorite brands.

The big beer conglomerates truly disgust me. Have you seen the US documentary the Beer Wars? It's all about business, not quality. All the people who drink the lager piss are killing real beer.

If you are interested in exchanging some beer, I'm all for it. I'm living in Denmark and can get some good brands here that you won't get in the UK.

PM my if you are interested.

Best regards

TRG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James Johnston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newcastle Brown Ale is good shit!!!</div></div>

i first tasted this ale in 1970.......wonderfull !

Wytchwood is Brit. I like the bottles and ther brews are actually quite good.

You will also enjoy one I forgot about, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Good stuff once you get past the price per bottle since it is also imported.

Check out the Ales from Pyramid, Full Sail, Sierra Neveda, Lagunitas Brewing, Booneville, and the many others out on the west coast. Brooklyn Beer has a good Chocolate Stout too

If you get a chance try Moosedrool from Big Sky Brewery in Missoula Montana. They now bottle it and it can also be found in WA and Idaho. Not sure where else.