• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newish member from Phx Arizona

Turbo0321

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Mesa, Az
What’s up everyone, so I’ve been a member since 2018 but finally decided to start being an active member instead of just lurking around the forums reading the all the info.
My current Interest are learning how to reload and getting efficient with long range shooting /wind calls. I have 8 yrs experience behind a bolt gun in the Marine Corps but that’s the extent of it, and it’s been a while since I’ve had any type of training.
Would be cool to eventually meet some knowledgeable guys in Az or the surrounding states at matches or the range to expand my knowledge or get some pointers.

Howdy from Chandler. If you’re on FB, check out the AZLRPRS group, they’ve got a monthly match up at CowTown that’s very well done!

Reactions: Turbo0321
Welcome from Pearce, AZ.

Check out Ben Avery Range. Closed for now, but when it opens, try it.

It's a bit out of day trip distance for me, but they have an active LR community there.

Handloading, I started out w/45ACP in the early 1990's.

My first rifle reloading caliber was 308; I suggest starting with 223.

Greg

Hello, from another AZ member.
Welcome from Pearce, AZ.

Check out Ben Avery Range. Closed for now, but when it opens, try it.

It's a bit out of day trip distance for me, but they have an active LR community there.

Handloading, I started out w/45ACP in the early 1990's.

My first rifle reloading caliber was 308; I suggest starting with 223.

Greg
Howdy from Chandler. If you’re on FB, check out the AZLRPRS group, they’ve got a monthly match up at CowTown that’s very well done!

I have yet to shoot a rifle match out here, I do some training for work at Cowtown every now and then but nothing long range at this point. I live in east mesa near gateway airport and was an avid USPSA shooter for a while, mostly shot at Rio Salado and a few at Phx rod and gun club matches. Ive driven by Ben Avery Plenty though and always see that 1000 yard range and have wanted to shoot there.
Ill look into that Facebook group now and hopefully be able to get to a match at some point soon

Reactions: Basher
Hey man.

Also new, and also from Phoenix. I'm up by Cowtown, though.

I get out to Rio every once in a while for matches or TNS.

We've probably ran into each other before.

Hey man.

Also new, and also from Phoenix. I'm up by Cowtown, though.

I get out to Rio every once in a while for matches or TNS.

We've probably ran into each other before.
Yeah definitely probably crossed paths. I used to shoot every tuesday night steel and all the satruday/sunday practical pistol matches there

Reactions: sixsixnine
Yeah definitely probably crossed paths. I used to shoot every tuesday night steel and all the satruday/sunday practical pistol matches there

You ever checked out the Black Rifle match that their multi-gun division puts on?

I started going just before all this COVID nonsense started. It's a good time.

You ever checked out the Black Rifle match that their multi-gun division puts on?

I started going just before all this COVID nonsense started. It's a good time.
I was tempted to shoot that match before but never got around to it. All my time was spent shooting Production and Limited trying to climb the ranks as fast as possible

I shot 223 at Ben Avery in a 600yd Mid Range F T/R match once (2018 SW LR Nationals).

It felt like the entire world was there.

The heat killed me, and I had to retire (had a heart attack two months later).

I loved every minute of it (my 20 y/o Granddaughter was shooting alongside me in her first-ever NRA Match).

Kind of a "Changing of the Guard" for me.

Greg

I shot 223 at Ben Avery in a 600yd Mid Range F T/R match once (2018 SW LR Nationals).

I loved every minute of it (my 20 y/o Granddaughter was shooting alongside me in her first-ever NRA Match).

Greg
Sorry to hear you had to retire from shooting, but glad you survived the heart attack!

Greg

If you ever feel like getting back out there, I rigged a misting system up to the patio umbrella on my gun cart.

Keep ya nice and cool.

I’ll echo that you should definitely try to make it to some AZLRPRS matches. It’s a great time with loads of knowledgeable people.

I'd dearly love to compete again, but my health imposes some steep limitations on me; after all, I turn 74 in another two weeks. Prone is hard, and heat above 85 simply turns me into a Zombie.

I both admire and envy the PRS folks, and wonder how I might make it work for me. I live in AZ, about 80mi East of Tucson and a bit South of I-10 alongside the Wilcox Dry Lake Bombing Range on 191, 50mi No. of Douglas/Agua Prieta.

This requires that a trip to the Phoenix region includes a two day journey with a stopover. This in itself is no hardship, I like the visits to Phoenix and the hospitality there, and such trips are family affairs. But it's time and cost, and the economy/hotels appear to be shut up tighter than a crab's ass in a hurricane at this moment.

The heart attack was quite mild; the Big One was in 2004, and while it's got me a bit down (I'm unable to run, for instance), I'm a long way from out.

Excuses are despicable, and I need to get past that stuff.

We'll see, I hope I can make one of the AZLRPRS events so I can figure out what's my place in that scene. I'd make the trip to be a spectator, and figure out what my loadout should be. Bear in mind that my approach to such things tends to be minimalist, a little primitive, and maybe a bit outside the box.

Mister/Cooler? THAT sounds interesting, tell me more. Offhand; this one looks practicable.

Greg

Last edited:
I'd dearly love to compete again, but my health imposes some steep limitations on me; after all, I turn 74 in another two weeks. Prone is hard, and heat above 85 simply turns me into a Zombie.

I both admire and envy the PRS folks, and wonder how I might make it work for me. I live in AZ, about 80mi East of Tucson and a bit South of I-10 alongside the Wilcox Dry Lake Bombing Range on 191, 50mi No. of Douglas/Agua Prieta.

This requires that a trip to the Phoenix region includes a two day journey with a stopover. This in itself is no hardship, I like the visits to Phoenix and the hospitality there, and such trips are family affairs. But it's time and cost, and the economy/hotels appear to be shut up tighter than a crab's ass in a hurricane at this moment.

The heart attack was quite mild; the Big One was in 2004, and while it's got me a bit down (I'm unable to run, for instance), I'm a long way from out.

Excuses are despicable, and I need to get past that stuff.

We'll see, I hope I can make one of the AZLRPRS events so I can figure out what's my place in that scene. I'd make the trip to be a spectator, and figure out what my loadout should be. Bear in mind that my approach to such things tends to be minimalist, a little primitive, and maybe a bit outside the box.

Mister/Cooler? THAT sounds interesting, tell me more. Offhand; this one looks practicable.

Greg

That link you sent is almost identical to the one I made, except for the price.
Rigged mine up at Home Depot with a weed sprayer, tubing, and some mister heads for about 20 bucks.
A few pumps on the handle, and it'll spray for a good 5-10 minutes. I make a lot of friends when I bring it out during the summer months.

Sorry to hear about your limitations, though. Gotta be frustrating when the mind is willing but the body won't cooperate.

My biggest impediment is this lockdown. I can't get out the way I need to in order to stay fit.

All things pass.

Greg

Reactions: sixsixnine
I'll second the recommendation for AZLRPRS on FB but mostly because I help with the matches we run at Cowtown. Another match you might look into is held at Rio Salado. Info can be found under Four Peaks Precision on FB. If you're feeling like getting out of the heat, Knob Creek Long Range Shooters has a match/training once a month near Heber. Regardless, you'll run into the same people. We all seem to shoot the same matches and hang out afterwards for lunch.