• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Newly purchased Springfield M21

ToySldr

Private
Minuteman
I was a longtime user of a standard M14 and upgraded it myself to have an EBR chassis during a deployment. I just purchased a never fired Springfield M1A (SA9121) with Krieger barrel. When I remove the trigger assembly, can the upper receiver be removed? It's solidly in place and I don't want to damage anything. The M14's I've handled were never this tight.

AJ

With the M21 , and Match bedded M1A's ....You aren't supposed to remove the receiver from the bedding routinely.
There is a general train of thought to leave the trigger guard not latched as well.

FWIW... my '96 SAI M21 Douglas barreled will shoot wonderfully small groups for about 150ish rounds, and then need the gas piston and gas cylinder plug cleaned of carbon to go back to the small groups.
That rifle helped teach me to shoot. It is very predictable. I could readily see if my trigger pull was messing up my groups... or if my bench seating was cattywampus.

What year was yours made ?

Let us know your thoughts please

I read an "article" by a gunsmith a while back talking about making an accurate M14 and he noted that once you bed the receiver to the stock, don't separate them.

Here's the link:

I also enjoyed this article from ChuckHawks written quite a while back. Included just in case you find it useful:

I was a longtime user of a standard M14 and upgraded it myself to have an EBR chassis during a deployment. I just purchased a never fired Springfield M1A (SA9121) with Krieger barrel. When I remove the trigger assembly, can the upper receiver be removed? It's solidly in place and I don't want to damage anything. The M14's I've handled were never this tight.

AJ
It says you're in Maryland. How did you just purchase an M21?

Last edited:
With the M21 , and Match bedded M1A's ....You aren't supposed to remove the receiver from the bedding routinely.
There is a general train of thought to leave the trigger guard not latched as well.

FWIW... my '96 SAI M21 Douglas barreled will shoot wonderfully small groups for about 150ish rounds, and then need the gas piston and gas cylinder plug cleaned of carbon to go back to the small groups.
That rifle helped teach me to shoot. It is very predictable. I could readily see if my trigger pull was messing up my groups... or if my bench seating was cattywampus.

What year was yours made ?

Let us know your thoughts please
Sorry for the late response! I'm not sure what year it was made. I purchased it from another individual that said he purchased it new and never fired it, it had been sitting in a safe for 15 years. I've had it to the range a few times and only have about 24 rounds through it. I'm having some scope mount issues that I posted about today.