• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 2.5-10x24 vs. NXS 1-8 x24 Eye Box and eye relief.

rgrmike

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
For guys that have experience with both. I have a NF 2.5-10x24. I love the optic but the eye box is pretty tight. I'm about to purchase a 1-6 or 1-8. My top contenders are the Vortex HD-E, NF 1-8, and Vortex Voodoo. Opinions are welcome on any. My budget is under $1800. My biggest complaint with my 2.5-10 is simply the eye box being pretty tight. I shoot prairie dogs with it a lot and it can be hard on my eyes after a little bit. I know it's not the best scope for that application but I have that as a baseline as far as eye box.

Optic is going on a 14.5" 5.56. Primary use is simply range use, coyote hunting, ranch rifle etc. Thanks fellas!

If you are not happy with the eyebox on your 2.5-10x24, you will not be happy with the NX8. I LOVE .y 2.5-10x24 for what it is. It is NOT my 2.5-10x42. The NX8 is tighter than most, but at 8.5" long, I'm quite certain there were tradeoffs in performance. Its been discussed on here ad nauseum.
The ATACR 1-8.....now THATS a whole different story. Its just amazing!

I have a Vortex 1-6. Great optic. but only 6x and SFP. I really get the extra benefit from that extra 2x and as soon as I cross that 6x magnification threshold.....I want FFP.

Reactions: rgrmike
If you are not happy with the eyebox on your 2.5-10x24, you will not be happy with the NX8. I LOVE .y 2.5-10x24 for what it is. It is NOT my 2.5-10x42. The NX8 is tighter than most, but at 8.5" long, I'm quite certain there were tradeoffs in performance. Its been discussed on here ad nauseum.
The ATACR 1-8.....now THATS a whole different story. Its just amazing!

Yes, ATACR is amazing. I tell people that if they could only buy one scope, the NF ATACR 1-8x is the scope.

I hear you on the 2.5-10x24. Maybe it is me, but I find that scope to be pretty good, and the NX8 to be better in eye box. I don't personally read the eye relief stats much, but go from experience, and this might be where people point their eyes differently, or something like that. I have found the NX8 to be very good. Not as good as the Razor 1-6x or the ATACR 1-8x, but no issues. I have heard from others that it is tight, but it seems to be more forgiving than the 2.5-10x.

I actually had the opportunity to shoot the NX8 the other day from 100-700yds. I found the dot to be daylight bright which was nice. I didn't have to adjust my buttstock when I cranked the magnification from 1-8 which was nice. The eye box was ok but I would love a larger ocular window. I've also shot the Razor 1-6 and felt like the eye box was better.

So far I haven't been able to shoot them side by side. I'm going to try and do a side by side comparison with the ATACR. I may just splurge and get the ATACR if I feel it's vastly superior.

The NX8 was very light and seemed well constructed. It reminded me a lot of my 2.5-10x24. I think it's a great Recce type scope. I don't know if it's a candidate for a lot of flat range, reflexive fire, 3-gun type of shooting though. I think the eye box is just too tight.

Reactions: TropicLightning
The Razor 1-6 eye box is amazing. If you run it without caps the image looks like it’s floating in the air with a tiny ring around it.

Reactions: CSTactical
I actually had the opportunity to shoot the NX8 the other day from 100-700yds. I found the dot to be daylight bright which was nice. I didn't have to adjust my buttstock when I cranked the magnification from 1-8 which was nice. The eye box was ok but I would love a larger ocular window. I've also shot the Razor 1-6 and felt like the eye box was better.

So far I haven't been able to shoot them side by side. I'm going to try and do a side by side comparison with the ATACR. I may just splurge and get the ATACR if I feel it's vastly superior.

The NX8 was very light and seemed well constructed. It reminded me a lot of my 2.5-10x24. I think it's a great Recce type scope. I don't know if it's a candidate for a lot of flat range, reflexive fire, 3-gun type of shooting though. I think the eye box is just too tight.

Gonna send you a message.

Personally I can’t stand the ATACR 1-8, but love the NX8. I’ve had 3 Gen II 1-6s that I’ve sold. Good glass, meh reticle, good illumination, and great eye box in a way too heavy package. I haven’t ran the Gen II E, but they kept the same meh reticle in a SFP package.

On to the NX8. I love the size and weight of this optic. I need another to throw on my 11.5” SBR to replace a T1. I’m currently running it on a 17” 556 SPR type rifle. I’ve shot a P dog at 582 with it, which is about it’s limit. The reticle is excellent for up close and fast acquisition, or longer large targets. The dot is too thick for very precise small targets at distance though. I can take my ATACR 4-16 well past 1000 on 8x with the thinner reticle, but the thicker dot of the NX8 limits you more. Overall I run this rifle as a coyote and hog gun mostly, and it’s perfect for that aspect. On 1x with the illumination turned up it’s very quick on target. The eye box is tighter, but I haven’t found that to be a problem.

ATACR 1-8 is larger, heavier, and the mag ring is WAY too stiff. IMO the reticle is the only benefit it offers, and even that is only slightly better for my uses. The eye box is more forgiving for sure, but that doesn’t help me since the NX8 works well for me as it is. If the reticle was slightly thinner and the mag ring was as smooth as the NX8, then I’d probably pick one up. The downsides outweigh the pros though, and even more so when you consider the ATACR is an extra $1000.

Reactions: CSTactical
Personally I can’t stand the ATACR 1-8, but love the NX8. I’ve had 3 Gen II 1-6s that I’ve sold. Good glass, meh reticle, good illumination, and great eye box in a way too heavy package. I haven’t ran the Gen II E, but they kept the same meh reticle in a SFP package.

On to the NX8. I love the size and weight of this optic. I need another to throw on my 11.5” SBR to replace a T1. I’m currently running it on a 17” 556 SPR type rifle. I’ve shot a P dog at 582 with it, which is about it’s limit. The reticle is excellent for up close and fast acquisition, or longer large targets. The dot is too thick for very precise small targets at distance though. I can take my ATACR 4-16 well past 1000 on 8x with the thinner reticle, but the thicker dot of the NX8 limits you more. Overall I run this rifle as a coyote and hog gun mostly, and it’s perfect for that aspect. On 1x with the illumination turned up it’s very quick on target. The eye box is tighter, but I haven’t found that to be a problem.

ATACR 1-8 is larger, heavier, and the mag ring is WAY too stiff. IMO the reticle is the only benefit it offers, and even that is only slightly better for my uses. The eye box is more forgiving for sure, but that doesn’t help me since the NX8 works well for me as it is. If the reticle was slightly thinner and the mag ring was as smooth as the NX8, then I’d probably pick one up. The downsides outweigh the pros though, and even more so when you consider the ATACR is an extra $1000.

Lol I love the ATACR feels balanced on this. Only pain is price although I scored this with mounts for like 2k

Attachments

• D92E2EB7-5764-48BD-8896-D9FC61192F68.jpeg
    D92E2EB7-5764-48BD-8896-D9FC61192F68.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111

I would absolutely despise a thin reticle 1-6. On a fighting carbine (Steel banger for my use) being able to see the reticle quickly is priority. Kinda the point of these scopes. Thats why I think SFP wins out on these as well. A FFP 1-6 makes no sense to me either.

Reactions: FatBoy
I would absolutely despise a thin reticle 1-6. On a fighting carbine (Steel banger for my use) being able to see the reticle quickly is priority. Kinda the point of these scopes. Thats why I think SFP wins out on these as well. A FFP 1-6 makes no sense to me either.

The reticle on the NF was designed well enough they could have made the center dot thinner, and still maintained its ability to be acquired fast. On 1x you’re not using the dot anyways, as it’s not really visible being that small. You’re using the outer “shoe” as a red dot. Spend some time behind one and you’ll see what I mean. The reticle design of the Razor wouldn’t allow it though. It’s ok for what it is, but the NF reticle is considerably easier and quicker to pick up, and has better illumination.