• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF 4x16x42 who’s got one?

Devildog

Professional Nail Bender
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 24, 2013
    The Land of Oz
    Looking hard at getting one for a possible Scar 20s purchase. I looked hard at the zco 4x20 and s&b 3x20 & 5x20 but it’s more then I think I want to spend on a 308 dmr. Give me the good bad and ugly!

I just swapped out my ATACR 5-25 on a 308 AR10 for this scope, only used it for 20 shots to sight in so far. It's pretty much the same, mainly lighter weight and lower max zoom.

If you aren't familiar with Nightforce, most common complaint I hear is the rear objective spins when you adjust zoom. This means the scope cap will keep moving as you adjust. Can be annoying to some.

Reactions: Devildog
    I use one on my sr25 in the capacity you described. The weight and size is great for it in my opinion. I enjoy the lower profile turrets as well. As noted above the scope cap spinning with the objective can be annoying, so I just took it off.

Reactions: Devildog and KZP
    That scope is excellent.
    I have 2 that are used hard on demo guns and brought as spares to classes in case a scope goes down on a student rifle.
    Not uncommon to have both of mine on other people's rifles by Day 2 or 3.

This particular model also has the turrets I wish NF had put on ALL their scopes years ago. Low profile without all the BS.
    We are using the MiL-R reticles and they work perfectly for what we need them for.

Even though I am not a fan of the Tremors/Horus family, I would encourage you to look at one of those reticles or the Mil-XT if you are going true DMR type use.

For what we do, we promote dialing dope when possible. However DMR and overwatch type roles should be ready to roll with pure reticle holds which the Tremors and XT would be slightly better at depending on your distance and conditions.

Regardless of your reticle choice, the 4-16x42 is true commercial grade with excellent glass.

There was a previous thread that had more specific info on this scope vs the 50mm version a few months ago. You may want to search and review that as well.

./
    'Nuff said. Terry Cross speaks.

For reference, the thread that compares the 42 vs the 50 in Terry's quote above *might* be this one:

The one I had when compared along side my March when was on 16x seriously looked like it was 12x at the top end. Sold it!

I really like mine. A perfect addition to any gas or bolt system.

A lot of people don’t like the rotating ocular housing, but it doesn’t bother me. Grab it, rotate it, and shoot. The tenebrax caps rotate and pop on/off easily so it isn’t an issue. ...and even less so on a SCAR platform.

They come with a removable PTL, Tenebrax caps, locking elevation, and capped windage with an optional (included) “beauty ring” AKA thread protector should you not want to run with capped windage.

It tracks, its durable, lightweight, easy to read turrets, zero stop, compact size, great glass, and comes with illumination.

I can’t see any downside to it, but I only own NF now... so I might be biased.

I really like mine. Yes the entire rear objective turns with the magnification. But tenebrax caps make it a non issue.
    D5CBE39C-507E-40ED-8590-D79020158761.jpeg
    8262845F-B298-4EC9-81DD-E0770E0B4C82.jpeg

Thanks for all the input, you’ve confirmed what I hoped about this scope. I was curious about the elevation turret, I’m assuming it locks and you have to push the button everytime you make a elevation change? I’ve read that the parallax is very forgiving as well?

Im familiar with the rotating ocular I have a couple of 7x35’s that I run on a couple long guns, I agree it can be a pain but I also like that I can palm the ocular and rotate it.

For you guys running them on a flat top rail are you running a 20 moa one piece mount? That’s the direction I’m leaning, I’d like a mount that I can add an rmr on as well. Probably looking at a spuhr or a Era-Tac mount. It looks like a 1.50” mount on AR type rifles seem to be the most common height.

Thanks for all the input, you’ve confirmed what I hoped about this scope. I was curious about the elevation turret, I’m assuming it locks and you have to push the button everytime you make a elevation change? I’ve read that the parallax is very forgiving as well?

Im familiar with the rotating ocular I have a couple of 7x35’s that I run on a couple long guns, I agree it can be a pain but I also like that I can palm the ocular and rotate it.

For you guys running them on a flat top rail are you running a 20 moa one piece mount? That’s the direction I’m leaning, I’d like a mount that I can add an rmr on as well. Probably looking at a spuhr or a Era-Tac mount. It looks like a 1.50” mount on AR type rifles seem to be the most common height.

Your correct on the push button but you just need to push it to leave the zero range. After that it adjusts like any other turret

Yes the parallax is very forgiving

Your correct on the push button but you just need to push it to leave the zero range. After that it adjusts like any other turret

Yes the parallax is very forgiving
    If I understand you correctly it only locks on zero and you don’t have to engage the button once you’ve adjusted past zero? If that’s right I appreciate that info, I was thinking you had to push the button every time you changed elevations.

If I understand you correctly it only locks on zero and you don’t have to engage the button once you’ve adjusted past zero? If that’s right I appreciate that info, I was thinking you had to push the button every time you changed elevations.

Correct

You push it to leave “0” and after that you can adjust without pushing it

It also only engages at the bottom end of the turrets rotation. So when you turn a full revolution (30 MOA in my case) it will not lock up on zero as your rotating up.

Only locks in the “0” position

On the bottom of the turrets rotation

Mine is set up with the zero stop 2 MOA under the zero hold

When you rotate down it will click into place once back to your original set zero. Like hitting the zero stop

Correct

You push it to leave “0” and after that you can adjust without pushing it

It also only engages at the bottom end of the turrets rotation. So when you turn a full revolution (30 MOA in my case) it will not lock up on zero as your rotating up.

Only locks in the “0” position

On the bottom of the turrets rotation

Mine is set up with the zero stop 2 MOA under the zero hold

When you rotate down it will click into place once back to your original set zero. Like hitting the zero stop
    Got it, thanks for making that clear. The locking turret was of interest to me, I don’t know of any other scope that has a push button lock on the turret, so I wasn’t sure how it worked. I’m thinking this time around I’m going to try the mil-xt reticle, I’d like to challenge myself to do better with reticle holds rather then dialing all the time.

Got it, thanks for making that clear. The locking turret was of interest to me, I don’t know of any other scope that has a push button lock on the turret, so I wasn’t sure how it worked. I’m thinking this time around I’m going to try the mil-xt reticle, I’d like to challenge myself to do better with reticle holds rather then dialing all the time.
    That Mil-XT is tits. I have it in my 5-25 ATACR.

I have a 4-16x42 MIL-C and a 7-35x56 MIL-C. Prior to getting the 7-35 I had been through about every alpha optic except for ZCO/Henny. I did have exposure to ZCO and was able to compare my S&B and TT to ZCO.

I have settled on the 7-35 and been running it for a year or so now. I don’t think it is the best at any one specific optical category, but it does everything extremely well.

For the price point of the 4-16x42 it is a perfect scope for a DMR, gas gun setup. It compares favorably to the 7-35. The image is darker due to the 42mm objective and reticle might be a tad thick, but I understand why it is at the higher mags so it is visible at the lower mags.

I just ordered a 4-16x42 in the mil xt reticle for a 308 bolt gun. Might see how it runs on my scar 17 as well. Love the smaller objective lens. You might not get as good of light but you will get less chromatic aberration which is a fair trade off

Got one used but just found out it has the dreaded frozen zero stop issue in the top clutch assembly

Put mine on a 300 wm in February. Quite a bit of range time. Got a chance to stretch it out in the Texas panhandle, amazed at lining up on coyotes to ~1500 yds. I am sure deer and elk will be no problem this season.

I have one on a 6.5 gas gun. I like everything about it except the very center of the reticle. I wish there were more clear space around the center dot. The main stadia lines extend too far into the center IMO. Dot needs more room to float. Mil-XT.

Otherwise I like the thickness of the reticle as the windage hashes are more useable on lower magnification.

No complaints about anything else in scope.