• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF 5.5x22 or 8x32 Help

Smart8

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2014
Louisiana
Looking to put it on a lr-308 and probably switch it back and forth to a Rem 700. Looking for some guidance/ direction on which model I should go.
I have a 1000yrd range 30mins from me and would like to get into shooting 500-1000yrds
This is my first big scope purchase and have heard the saying "cry once" many time as well as "you get what you pay for"
Looking at the MOAR-T ret. and can't figure out if zero stop is worth it.
My big question... Is it ever bad to have to too much zoom? Can't imagine I would ever be sitting at 8x wishing I had 5x??

Any help would be great appreciated?

-Jeff

I have both and at 1000 I like the 8-32, it's not needed but I like it. And zero stop is a definite yes.

I don't shoot a 308 at anything less than 100-yards so the 5.5X is not really needed and the 32X is nice for me at 1000-yards.

The zero stop is nice. If you are only target shooting where you have time and no distractions to count your clicks and rotations then you may not need it. If not, then it is super handy.

I love the C353 (8x32 NSX w/ ZeroStop) its a damn fine scope, which I have used in F class matches and hunting. Generally 8x is fine for hunting, and 32x is way more than enough to get hits at 1k. Zero Stop is absolutely worth it. No more counting clicks on the way down.

8-32x56 is not needed but if you're setting this up as a dedicated 1000yd rig, you won't regret it. A bunch of people at the local 1000yd matches shoot the 8-32x56 scopes (mostly NF but also some Sightron) and they post some ridiculously good scores with full-customs. The only downside is you probably won't get to use the upper magnification much in Louisiana due to mirage issues. I have an 8-32x56 NF Benchrest and find myself in the mid-low 20s range of power due to mirage. But when you DO get to bump up to 32x it is really nice.

I also strongly recommend Zero Stop. The only other thing you might want to consider is resale value. The 5.5-22x56's seem to retain their value better and sell faster than the 8-32x56's.

I have 2 NF 8-32X56 1 on my TRG 22 and 1 on my AIAW. I also have 2 NF 5.5-22X50's on AR's For 1000 yards the 8-32X56 is my choice. I also say yes to the zero stop.

I have the 5.5-22x on two of my rifles (.338 LM and .50). I considered the 8-32x, but the internal adjustment (or lack thereof) was a big turn-off. Either one is a quality optic, but you can probably hit whatever you want at the ranges you listed with the 22x. I seldom go above 15x inside of 1000 yards. The only time I really want less magnification is on my duty rifle. In that case, sometimes 3.5x is too much when trying to put eyes on the front of a house from a relatively short distance.