• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF ATACR 4-16 vs 4-20 vs 5-25

Which Optic?

• NF 4-20

Votes: 43 37.1%
  • NF 5-25

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Fuck NF 4-20 ZCO

Votes: 53 45.7%

• Total voters

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    Has anyone had a chance to do a side by side comparison of these scopes? I’m replacing my MOA scopes with MIL on my AI’s

One scope will be the 7-35 MIL XT replacing the same one currently in MOA

My dilemma is I have a 4-16 X 42 with locking turret on my AT. I have at times wanted more magnification for what I use the rifle for. Although a very nice optic I’m thinking of stepping it up to 4-20 ATACR

I know the 5-25 has been said to suffer optics wise compared to the others. But how’s the 4-20 stack against it?

I shoot on a team that deals NF so when swapping the optics it’s easiest to just stick with NF. I’ve also been very happy with the ATACR so don’t see a reason to switch. But could do 7-35 ATACR on AXMC and a ZCO 4-20 for the AT

How does 4-20 ATACR stack against the 4-16 and 5-25? Anyone got side by side pics?

I created a poll but already know the results 😁

Keep it nf and keep your reticles the same. Keep it simple dont bring different turrets or reticles in to the equation. Why make it harder on yourself?

Reactions: parshal
    Keep it nf and keep your reticles the same. Keep it simple dont bring different turrets or reticles in to the equation. Why make it harder on yourself?
    Currently thinking

NF ATACR 7-35 F1 Mil XT - AI AXMC 300 PRC
    NF ATACR 4-20 F1 Mil XT - AIAT 308

Reactions: Brym427
    Anyone have a pic they could post of the 4-16 next to the 4-20?

I like the size of the 4-16. If the 4-20 is closer to the 4-16 vs the 5-25 that be a great thing

Anyone have a pic they could post of the 4-16 next to the 4-20?

I like the size of the 4-16. If the 4-20 is closer to the 4-16 vs the 5-25 that be a great thing

According to their website... 🤔

The 20x is 1.3" longer than the 16x..

Specifications such as length can also be found for the 25x...

Reactions: Secant
    If you're used to 7-35x and aren't using the low X much, what use is the 4-16x for you?

Why not the higher X ZCO?

If you're used to 7-35x and aren't using the low X much, what use is the 4-16x for you?

Why not the higher X ZCO?
    The 4X comes in handy for closer range low light. The AT is used for hunting to 500 yards typically

According to their website... 🤔

The 20x is 1.3" longer than the 16x..

Specifications such as length can also be found for the 25x...
    Thanks

I guess seeing them next to each other helps me. I know my 4-16 next to my 7-35 is longer, much larger objective and turrets. I know the specifications are listed just seeing them in person puts things into perspective

Reactions: jetracer013
    The 4X comes in handy for closer range low light. The AT is used for hunting to 500 yards typically
    The 4-20 NF tunnels so is more like a 5-20, that may or may not bother you.

Get one of your cheap 7-35s and $500 and get this

Reactions: Secant
    Is there enough of a difference in X between 16 & 20 to be worth swapping scopes?
    IMHO this is a use/user case question not an optics question. If you really need (need to have) that 20x50mm for something I think the use case will answer the question. That being said, ZCO 4-20 with MPTC-3 type reticle is tough to beat for do-it-all optic. On the other hand, the existing setup of 4-16x42 ATACR is 1/4 lighter, slightly less bulky, and is one of the best 'true' crossover setups.

Is there enough of a difference in X between 16 & 20 to be worth swapping scopes?
    I’m swapping from moa to Mil. So it’s not swapping its do I get the same or 4-20 as I’m buying one anyways

I'd get the NF 4-20. Try something different. I have the same feelings, I really like the x42, but sometimes I do wish it had just a bit more mag. I'm 100% sure the ZCO is a better scope, but if that isn't in the budget, the 4-20 NF should be a good alternative. ATACRs might be a step behind ZCO, but they are still low risk propositions.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
    So is the priority the low end or the higher end
    Both technically

The 5-25 is said to suffer a bit optic wise. Just hoping the 4-20 doesn’t. I like the 4-16 but since buying a scope anyways thinking the extra 4X on the top end would be good

Typically the gun gets shot at 7-16 magnification. 4X used to scan in low light and 16 used more to identify during daylight. 16 feels a bit short so 20 would be better. 5-25 is probably good but I’m adding size to the optic and the glass is said to be behind the other ATACR designs

Has anyone had a chance to do a side by side comparison of these scopes? I’m replacing my MOA scopes with MIL on my AI’s

One scope will be the 7-35 MIL XT replacing the same one currently in MOA

My dilemma is I have a 4-16 X 42 with locking turret on my AT. I have at times wanted more magnification for what I use the rifle for. Although a very nice optic I’m thinking of stepping it up to 4-20 ATACR

I know the 5-25 has been said to suffer optics wise compared to the others. But how’s the 4-20 stack against it?

I shoot on a team that deals NF so when swapping the optics it’s easiest to just stick with NF. I’ve also been very happy with the ATACR so don’t see a reason to switch. But could do 7-35 ATACR on AXMC and a ZCO 4-20 for the AT

How does 4-20 ATACR stack against the 4-16 and 5-25? Anyone got side by side pics?

I created a poll but already know the results 😁

We have both the Zero Compromise ZC420 and and Nightforce ATACR 4-20 in stock as of right now, feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we can answer any questions you have :)

Been reading every thread I can find in the last couple days between the atacr and ZCO. Thinking I may try a 4-20 ZCO for my AT.

Anyone go from ZCO back to ATACR that would care to share here or on a pm why they made the choice.

Thank you to all who responded here. Also to the several who pm’d me in regards to both. Especially reticle choices

I had a barrel ordered from Mile High. But another member hooked me up a while ago with the same barrel. So I canceled that order and applied the credit to an optic

NF ATACR 4-20 Mil XT on the way

I think I will be very happy with my choice after owning several ATACR already

Thank you to all who responded

Write up a review when you have some time behind it. People with the old 4-16x might want to know what they're missing with the new scope.
    Sounds good!

Personally I loved my 4-16. The low profile locking turret was a real winner. Which I guess is why Leupold gave NF the slap on the pee pee for using it

I’m not picky by any means. I can shoot behind a Burris XTRII and NF ATACR and appreciate both optics

So I set aside the possibility of tunneling on low power and crystal clear glass to go for the Mil XT reticle which some have went back to from the ZCO offerings.

I also put the reputation of ATACR tracking and taking abuse above the glass. But that is just a personal choice

My AXMC will get a 7-35 ATACR Mil XT. So this will keep the reticle the same as well. Not needed necessarily but still nice

Some day when I get hands on a ZCO I’m sure I’ll “need” that next. I’d really like to see the reticles. I’ve seen the Mil XT and know I’ll like it. Surprised me the pms suggesting the Mil XT over ZCO offerings. Also I noticed several ZCO 527 for sale that have trades for NF ATACR 7-35 Mil XT listed. So I don’t think the 7-35 ATACR (which I’ve owned already) will be a decision I’ll regret going with again

Mounted up the 4-20. Have to get it outside to see what it’s really about. Initial thoughts are decent. It does tunnel so is more like a 5.5-20
    5E31D24A-17AD-4E11-9457-8612303E1DFF.jpeg

Mounted up the 4-20. Have to get it outside to see what it’s really about. Initial thoughts are decent. It does tunnel so is more like a 5.5-20
    Bummer about the tunneling. From rough calcs, I was figuring the NF would tunnel from about 5.25x - 4x, but I was hopeful that real life would be less.

Any more news on how the scope is treating you?
    Loving the scope. I’d like to get a ZCO or at least look through one to see the honest difference. I will say I’ve owned the 4-16, 4-20 and 7-35. The 7-35 stands out as a winner. In my opinion the 4-16 and 4-20 don’t have a extremely noticeable difference. It’s not earth shattering glass etc if that’s what one is expecting. I’m a fan of the Nf ATACR and love it for its toughness. The 4-20 to me is “just another ATACR” so take that opinion for what you will

The internal lenses haven’t shattered, the turret hasn’t busted off, the turrets aren’t mushy, I haven’t needed to send it back and to me it’s an ATACR like the others I’ve owned. So I’m pleased with that

Loving the scope. I’d like to get a ZCO or at least look through one to see the honest difference. I will say I’ve owned the 4-16, 4-20 and 7-35. The 7-35 stands out as a winner. In my opinion the 4-16 and 4-20 don’t have a extremely noticeable difference. It’s not earth shattering glass etc if that’s what one is expecting. I’m a fan of the Nf ATACR and love it for its toughness. The 4-20 to me is “just another ATACR” so take that opinion for what you will

The internal lenses haven’t shattered, the turret hasn’t busted off, the turrets aren’t mushy, I haven’t needed to send it back and to me it’s an ATACR like the others I’ve owned. So I’m pleased with that
    What about your feelings on its eyebox and FOV?

What about your feelings on its eyebox and FOV?
    I actually hunted tonight with the 4-20. I noticed how tight the eyebox seemed. Moving my head around behind the scope I thought “man you definitely need to have your cheek weld correct to see clearly through this optic” actually interesting you brought it up as it’s something I noticed when looking through it tonight

I’m not a optics snob by any means. So as far as FOV opinion I couldn’t help you there. The scope does what I need and provided a bit more magnification than the previous 4-16 I had on this AIAT.

That’s about as much info as I can provide based on my several months of use. If you like your current ATACR then you’d be happy with the 4-20. If you’re looking for a “next generation” ATACR this isn’t it. It’s the same ATACR we’re used to. For me so far it’s proven to be what I expected. But the eyepiece still rotates and the glass won’t blow your mind. If that’s what your expectations are

I actually hunted tonight with the 4-20. I noticed how tight the eyebox seemed. Moving my head around behind the scope I thought “man you definitely need to have your cheek weld correct to see clearly through this optic” actually interesting you brought it up as it’s something I noticed when looking through it tonight

I’m not a optics snob by any means. So as far as FOV opinion I couldn’t help you there. The scope does what I need and provided a bit more magnification than the previous 4-16 I had on this AIAT.

That’s about as much info as I can provide based on my several months of use. If you like your current ATACR then you’d be happy with the 4-20. If you’re looking for a “next generation” ATACR this isn’t it. It’s the same ATACR we’re used to. For me so far it’s proven to be what I expected. But the eyepiece still rotates and the glass won’t blow your mind. If that’s what your expectations are
    I don't own a Nightforce, but I own a bunch of PST II 5-25 and 3-15. The 3-15 is particularly nice, with HUGE FOV (TT 3-15-level FOV), but for the hunting I do like the 5-25 is better (I mainly shoot prairie dogs and Richardson ground squirrels). The PST II series is affordable enough for me to outfit a bunch of rifles with the same reticle (really like that 2c/2d Vortex reticle).

However, my biggest problem with those PST scopes is their non-locking turrets. If I could get NF reliability with the good eyebox the PST II scopes have, it would be awesome. But it sounds like the eyebox isn't that great on the 4-20, and while the windage turret is capped, the elevation turret is still non-locking. That's a lot of negatives for $3k.

Right now I have two Vortex LHT 4.5-22 on my most used light-weight varmiteer rifles, and they're pretty good. But the FOV is less than the PST II 5-25 and the eyebox is tighter too.

I have considered the 4-16 NF, especially since it has a locking elevation turret/capped windage. But…dang it, if it went to 20x or even 18x it would be a slam dunk for me for at least a couple scopes. 16x is just on the edge of what is acceptable to shoot tiny varmints at 200-350 yards, with my eyes anyway.

Since you've used the 4-16, what's that one's eyebox like at 16x?

Last edited:
    I don't own a Nightforce, but I own a bunch of PST II 5-25 and 3-15. The 3-15 is particularly nice, with HUGE FOV (TT 3-15-level FOV), but for the hunting I do the 5-25 is better (I mainly shoot prairie dogs and Richardson ground squirrels). The PST II series is affordable enough for me to outfit a bunch of rifles with the same reticle (really like that 2c/2d Vortex reticle).

However, my biggest problem with those PST scopes is their non-locking turrets. If I could get NF reliability but the good eyebox the PST II scopes have, it would be awesome. But it sounds like the eyebox isn't that great on the 4-20, and while the windage turret is capped, the elevation turret is still non-locking. That's a lot of negatives for $3k.

I have considered the 4-16 NF, especially since it has a locking elevation turret/capped windage. But…dang it, if it went to 20x or even 18x it would be a slam dunk for me for at least a couple scopes. 16x is just on the edge of what is acceptable to shoot tiny varmints at 200-350 yards, with my eyes anyway.

Since you've used the 4-16, what's that one's eyebox at 16x like?
    I don’t own the 4-16 anymore. But from what I remember it was very similar. You won’t see a low profile zero hold turret on the other models most likely as it’s my understanding Leupold filed a lawsuit over that design. I don’t mind the non locking elevation. The elevation knob is not super easy to move and would take a lot to move it under use I would think. I wish I had the 4-16 to compare but unfortunately don’t

I’ve owned NF NXS, Competition and several models of ATACR. Haven’t had an issue with any of them. Unfortunately can’t say the same for the Vortex I’ve owned. I’m sure NF warranty isn’t as good as Vortex. I’m not sure anyone could beat the service of Vortex. But so far I trust the NF which is why I continue to use them.

I don’t own the 4-16 anymore. But from what I remember it was very similar. You won’t see a low profile zero hold turret on the other models most likely as it’s my understanding Leupold filed a lawsuit over that design. I don’t mind the non locking elevation. The elevation knob is not super easy to move and would take a lot to move it under use I would think. I wish I had the 4-16 to compare but unfortunately don’t

I’ve owned NF NXS, Competition and several models of ATACR. Haven’t had an issue with any of them. Unfortunately can’t say the same for the Vortex I’ve owned. I’m sure NF warranty isn’t as good as Vortex. I’m not sure anyone could beat the service of Vortex. But so far I trust the NF which is why I continue to use them.
    Thanks man. Really appreciate it! Might have to stick with the smelly old PST II's for a while lol. Outfitting five scopes at the NF 4-16's $2500 would be $12,500 and if they're not exactly what I need, well, I guess I gotta pass. Might try one 4-16, though, on a favorite rifle just to see how it goes.

Again, thanks!

Thanks man. Really appreciate it! Might have to stick with the smelly old PST II's for a while lol. Outfitting five scopes at the NF 4-16's $2500 would be $12,500 and if they're not exactly what I need, well, I guess I gotta pass. Might try one 4-16, though, on a favorite rifle just to see how it goes.

Again, thanks!
    Your welcome. I still plan to try a ZCO. So maybe look into a 4-20 ZCO for yours. I’m betting the ZCO glass would beat the ATACR. But I haven’t looked through them side by side myself

Reactions: carbonbased
    Might have to stick with the smelly old PST II's for a while lol.
    I don't know why you would deride the PST2 3-15x, they work well within their niche/price point.

The 3-15x is very nice glass. The rest of the scope is decent. I've owned 5 total, and consider them a great value at 2/3 of msrp; mine were reliable but were never stress tested either. Shot a match with one a few months ago with no issues. I box tested 2 and they tracked acceptably. I didn't bother with the last few as they are on loaner or plinking rifles; still have 2

I've also owned the ATACR 4-16x50, F2; on my primary currently

The difference in glass in minimal. Both on a sunny day and target in the shade. I actually believe the 3-15 cuts through mirage slightly better than the 4-16. The NF isn't bad, the PST2 3-15 is that good (wasn't a fan of 5-25 at all). The cost premium for NF is for the durability and reliability, where it clearly outshines the 3-15

If I had to travel to shoot (hunt, match) I would likely be using a Razor, ATACR instead of a PST2

The difference in feautures and build w
    quality is noticeable

For plinking, local stuff I'd have no issues with the 3-15

I think it's an excellent plinking/beginner match scope with excellent glass for the $

I had an Athlon BTR with very good glass for the $, but the rest of the scope was subpar and I realized there is a limit to how low I can go in build quality, even for a plinking gun. I liked the reticle on it as well

I'd stick with the 3-15 if you can live with the feauture set and just get the best glass you can for your most used rifle; make next set of decisions from there

ZCO 4-20,5-27; Razor G3 are an entire leap up from the ones discussed above

Only looked through them, I'd skip ATACR and put my $ there

For serious use (duty), ZCO & NF.

Last edited:
    Reactions: carbonbased
    I don't know why you would deride the PST2 3-15x, they work well within their niche/price point.

The 3-15x is very nice glass. The rest of the scope is decent. I've owned 5 total, and consider them a great value at 2/3 of msrp; mine were reliable but were never stress tested either. Shot a match with one a few months ago with no issues. I box tested 2 and they tracked acceptably. I didn't bother with the last few as they are on loaner or plinking rifles; still have 2

I've also owned the ATACR 4-16x50, F2; on my primary currently

The difference in glass in minimal. Both on a sunny day and target in the shade. I actually believe the 3-15 cuts through mirage slightly better than the 4-16. The NF isn't bad, the PST2 3-15 is that good (wasn't a fan of 5-25 at all). The cost premium for NF is for the durability and reliability, where it clearly outshines the 3-15

If I had to travel to shoot (hunt, match) I would likely be using a Razor, ATACR instead of a PST2

The difference in feautures and build w
    quality is noticeable

For plinking, local stuff I'd have no issues with the 3-15

I think it's an excellent plinking/beginner match scope with excellent glass for the $

I had an Athlon BTR with very good glass for the $, but the rest of the scope was subpar and I realized there is a limit to how low I can go in build quality, even for a plinking gun. I liked the reticle on it as well

I'd stick with the 3-15 if you can live with the feauture set and just get the best glass you can for your most used rifle; make next set of decisions from there

ZCO 4-20,5-27; Razor G3 are an entire leap up from the ones discussed above

Only looked through them, I'd skip ATACR and put my $ there

For serious use (duty), ZCO & NF.
    My derision of the PST was in jest. I really like them (even the 5-25, but the 3-15 is better like you mention). It’s just not cool to like them lol.

I wish there was a thriving aftermarket in locking turrets!

Thanks for your impressions of the NF 4-16. It’s a cool little scope. I think NF should just pay Leupold royalties for their locking turrets (if Leupold would let them? Who knows what the case is); they are the one thing I miss from the 5-25 mark 5 I once had.

Last edited:
    Just got back from some morning plinking out to 500.

We brought 2 guns mounted with PST Gen 2 3-15s and 1 with a Razor Gen 2.

There wasn't a noticeable difference between the Razor & the 3-15s at such close range.

I think it's cool to like whatever YOU like. Screw what people on the internet think, half of them probably don't actually shoot much and are just surfing at work living vicariously through their computer screens.

Whether someone is shooting an Impact or AI... Bartlein or Proof... TT or ZCO... they're not cooler, they just spent more on their toys. The point being that it's THEIR budget, their toys, their opinions. It's your life.

I'm pretty happy with the performance from a humble PST2 3-15x on a lowly Origin with a Bartlein spun by a local smith. Primarily because it has given us NO issues whatsoever. I couldn't shoot any better with an AI running a Proof barrel and ATACR scope than the combo above.

Will it be more reliable as a combo than an AI/NF combo in battlefield conditions? Probably not.

Will that make a difference to you shooting a match 6 hours away if your equipment fails? Yes.

But for flat range plinking, I think it's cool 'cuz I'm happy.

And me being happy is the definition of cool.

It's YOUR life, money, and experience. Be happy.

Between the three, I like the 4-16x for mid range work. I use the 7-35x and 5-25x at work and have used the 4-20x some. If I'm going to mount a big scope it's going to be the 7-35x (what I spent my money on for a match optic). Anymore, I really use either a 1-10x/1-8x or a 7-35x but like having a 4-16x available (replaced a Mark 5 3.6-18x).

Optics I have owned/own:

S&B 5-25 (x2)
    S&B 3-20 (x2)
    S&B 5-20 US (x2)
    Premier Heritage 5x25
    Kahles 3.5-18
    NF ATACR 4-16 (x2) Current x1
    NF ATACR 5-25 (x2) Current x1
    NF BEAST 5-25 Current
    NF ATACR 4-20 Current
    NF ATACR 7-35 Current
    NF NX8 2.5-20 Current
    SHV 5-20 (x2) Current x1

I can speak for the ATACR 4-16's relatively small footprint, huge eye box at 4x all the way up to 16x and overall clarity and that great elevation turret. I run it on a "Modern Hunter", one of these loophole semi-auto 308's we have up here in The Great White North. So a fairly light rifle. I wouldn't put it on a precision bolt gun unless it was a short 308 with a 16-20" barrel, perfect for that.

Last fall I bought the 4-20 ATACR to run on my Vudoo. A little longer than the 4-16, but a little shorter than the 5-25. Great optic for sure. Honestly on a 22cal I should've went with 25x for paper punching at 100yds. But it lacks nothing and will do everything you want. It has a nice profile.

Obviously I favour Nightforce, I've owned a lot of high end glass over the years. My choice to keep buying NF? They track really well and I don't take someones word for it I do a tall target test with every one once my loads are developed, they are known to be extremely durable, and cost. Some of these other top tier brands are $1500-$2000 more. Up here I get a top shelf NF for $4000. A ZCO? $5500. Tangent Theta? $6500. S&B? $6000. NF does everything I want really, really well lacking nothing and I buy 3 for the cost of 2 of the others.

Oh, one day I had the 5-25 ATACR, 4-16 ATACR and the BEAST out. A few people looked through all 3 and the general consensus was that the glass on the BEAST was a cut above. It is a remarkable optic. My personal favourite.

Kahles optics have really good glass too and reportedly track really well but I find their reticles thick and crude. I would like a 5-25 but can't do their reticles.

Optics I have owned/own:

S&B 5-25 (x2)
    S&B 3-20 (x2)
    S&B 5-20 US (x2)
    Premier Heritage 5x25
    Kahles 3.5-18
    NF ATACR 4-16 (x2) Current x1
    NF ATACR 5-25 (x2) Current x1
    NF BEAST 5-25 Current
    NF ATACR 4-20 Current
    NF ATACR 7-35 Current
    NF NX8 2.5-20 Current
    SHV 5-20 (x2) Current x1

I can speak for the ATACR 4-16's relatively small footprint, huge eye box at 4x all the way up to 16x and overall clarity and that great elevation turret. I run it on a "Modern Hunter", one of these loophole semi-auto 308's we have up here in The Great White North. So a fairly light rifle. I wouldn't put it on a precision bolt gun unless it was a short 308 with a 16-20" barrel, perfect for that.

Last fall I bought the 4-20 ATACR to run on my Vudoo. A little longer than the 4-16, but a little shorter than the 5-25. Great optic for sure. Honestly on a 22cal I should've went with 25x for paper punching at 100yds. But it lacks nothing and will do everything you want. It has a nice profile.

Obviously I favour Nightforce, I've owned a lot of high end glass over the years. My choice to keep buying NF? They track really well and I don't take someones word for it I do a tall target test with every one once my loads are developed, they are known to be extremely durable, and cost. Some of these other top tier brands are $1500-$2000 more. Up here I get a top shelf NF for $4000. A ZCO? $5500. Tangent Theta? $6500. S&B? $6000. NF does everything I want really, really well lacking nothing and I buy 3 for the cost of 2 of the others.

Oh, one day I had the 5-25 ATACR, 4-16 ATACR and the BEAST out. A few people looked through all 3 and the general consensus was that the glass on the BEAST was a cut above. It is a remarkable optic. My personal favourite.

Kahles optics have really good glass too and reportedly track really well but I find their reticles thick and crude. I would like a 5-25 but can't do their reticles.
    Curious if you noticed the tunneling of the 4-20x50 over the 4-16x50.. I am seeing it from about 4x-6x on the 4-20 but not sure if that is just me or not... Kinda bugs me over my 4-16 which I don't see any tunneling on

This 2 minute video gives as good of an explanation as any. Not my video

I've seen that video and I agree that its great at showing "what tunneling is" but I was wondering to what extent the 4-20 ATACR tunneled. just like in the video there is a huge difference between how significant the tunneling is between the two scopes used.

I've seen that video and I agree that its great at showing "what tunneling is" but I was wondering to what extent the 4-20 ATACR tunneled. just like in the video there is a huge difference between how significant the tunneling is between the two scopes used.
    Just re-looked into it (have forgotten) and it appears the NF 4-20 tunnels from 4-5x, maybe 4-5.5x.

Read this thread:

The post you replied to above I stated 5.5-20 is more of what the optic is

So it tunnels from 4-5.5

Your results may vary