• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF ATACR 4-16 vs Leupold MK5 3.6-18

$1,000 more?

That's a pretty vague question and not the first time you've referenced that amount in this thread. As @caliglockleet said, the pricing with most vendors is generally within a couple hundred dollars of each other. Some may have more wiggle room with the MK5 but certainly not a $1k difference between the two I compared. I also do not for see to many people paying MSRP with hide vendors either...and if you're really shopping (here in the exchange too) you can find some really great deals.

Also, as said in my mini review, the new NX8 would now be a better comparison for the MK5. But, when comparing the Leupold MK5 to an old NXS F1, I'm still of the opinion that the fit/finish/ build quality is going to still be better on the Nightforce. That's still not to say the Leupold isn't bad by any means as I really like it, I just like the ATACR more and would be comfortable spending the extra money. Everyone's priorities differ however so that price difference and what you get and/or miss out on is in the eye's of the beholder.

Reactions: sevenplagues
Stumbled on this thread as I’m also looking at buying the NF ATACR 4-16x42 for a Seekins SP10 in .308 that I just picked up. Just curious if anyone has any new info on the debate between this scope and the MK5 (or any other scope that competes with the NF).

I have a NF 4-16x50 ATACR with mil-xt reticle. I Just ordered the Leupold 3.6-18x44 mark5 with the CCH reticle, excited to see how they compare.
I held off asking your opinions of the two scopes to give you enough time over these "Corona days."

Totally interested in these models (F1). Leaning towards the Mk 5 in CCH. Do you have any thoughts on the two side by side?

Thanks

Both great scope’s are great, to my eye the ATACR glass is better. Parallax is more forgiving on the Leupold. Eye box is not ideal on both scopes. Both scopes I own track awesome. I’ve heard of a few MK5s that has tracking problems. The Leupold is a better scope for the money.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Both great scope’s are great, to my eye the ATACR glass is better. Parallax is more forgiving on the Leupold. Eye box is not ideal on both scopes. Both scopes I own track awesome. I’ve heard of a few MK5s that has tracking problems. The Leupold is a better scope for the money.
Thanks for responding.
In your opinion : CCH vs Mil XT -- which is preferred without illumination as a factor in this magnification range ?

Or the March 2.5-25

SFP -- but great glass and FOV and turrets

I just recently got my NF 4-16x42 Mil-XT. Haven't got to play with it too much but I compared it to one of my 7-35 ATACRs today. I was pleasantly surprised with the IQ. Typically from my experience the US made/assembled ATACRs aren't quite as good as the 7-35s in the IQ department but this one was very very close. I would like to do an overall comparison to a Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18 with PR1 illuminated... If they are close I may pick one up.

Last edited:
Not many comparisons yet.
What do you really want to know?

Theyr'e not really competing scopes. The NF is bigger objective, heavier build, better glass. The leupy is lighter, smaller, very passable glass for its weight. It also has 18x on the top end.

Reticle wise, NF mil c and XT are classy choices. AFAIK, the pr2 doesn't come in 3-18 so its a non option. Also illuination.

Bottom line is weight or reticle will decide the optic decision between these two. Not glass quality, since they are both passable.

If you got one of either for free, you'd hit your targets with it, accept its pro/cons and make due. Neither is gonna make you miss.

If bank balance is an issue, or you need to count ounces, the leupy is good optic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BND2763
Theyr'e not really competing scopes. The NF is bigger objective, heavier build, better glass. The leupy is lighter, smaller, very passable glass for its weight. It also has 18x on the top end.
Leupold has a 44mm objective ATACR has a 42mm objective. Less we're referencing the 4-16x50 which isn't made anymore.

I'd give the edge in glass quality to NF, but they're extremely close in resolution TBH. NF controls CA better.

The real question is whether the OP needs a tree and illumination. Because your options suddenly become much more limited in that realm for Leupold.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrspence
I just recently got my NF 4-16x42 Mil-XT. Haven't got to play with it too much but I compared it to one of my 7-35 ATACRs today. I was pleasantly surprised with the IQ. Typically from my experience the US made/assembled ATACRs aren't quite as good as the 7-35s in the IQ department but this one was very very close. I would like to do an overall comparison to a Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18 with PR1 illuminated... If they are close I may pick one up.

I just purchased a 7-35, and I agree. Obviously there are noticable optical differences (fov, depth of field, image size due larger eyepiece) between the 4-16 and 7-35, but the image quality on my two scopes is very similar, almost identical. Comparing my examples, the x42 controls CA better, while 7-35 controls stray light better. Resolution, color rendition and contrast are identical to my eyes at 15x. If you need to make size and weight sacrifices, the x42 is an impressive scope. I was surprised at how similar they are, so I think it's interesting that you think the same.

Reactions: ma smith
Also to note that the illuminated mark 5 is now 1900 new with the PR1. If they would put the effing PR2 reticle in that damn scope. But leupold is gonna leupold.

Also to note that the illuminated mark 5 is now 1900 new with the PR1. If they would put the effing PR2 reticle in that damn scope. But leupold is gonna leupold.
The illuminated ones are $2400 most places I see.

The illuminated ones are $2400 most places I see.
Oh you’re right the pic at eurooptic had the illuminated version but it wasn’t in the description. Bummer i thought that was an adjustment for 2022 (which makes no sense admittedly). Damnit lol.

Yeah atacr is still it then. I’ve been back and forth between the two for my mod H for sometime now. If leupold ever puts the PR2 in that scope id forgo illumination to save the money, weight, and length.

Oh you’re right the pic at eurooptic had the illuminated version but it wasn’t in the description. Bummer i thought that was an adjustment for 2022 (which makes no sense admittedly). Damnit lol.

Yeah atacr is still it then. I’ve been back and forth between the two for my mod H for sometime now. If leupold ever puts the PR2 in that scope id forgo illumination to save the money, weight, and length.
I'm sure some will disagree but illumination is necessary for me for the lower power range. Especially on a killing stick.

Reactions: adavis1138
I have illumination and I never use it.
I see you're from Utah so probably because of terrain difference. Mountains/Hills of WV has a lot of shaded and dark areas in the trees and bushes that can make a reticle disappear at low magnification especially in low light.

It's kind of like a non-obscure tree reticle for me. Do I hold over all the time? No. Do I want the option should the situation arise? Absolutely. I view illumination in the same light, no pun intended.

No one commented on this thread for a while but I read that leupold is going to release the pr2 Reticle to the 18x scopes . Of course I read this and know can’t find the source where I read it . Any one else hear this ? If so i would definitely make the mk5 my go to gas gun scope of

Reactions: BCP
No one commented on this thread for a while but I read that leupold is going to release the pr2 Reticle to the 18x scopes . Of course I read this and know can’t find the source where I read it . Any one else hear this ? If so i would definitely make the mk5 my go to gas gun scope of
I posted a thread on it. Leupold announced it on Instagram. Dunno when but it’s coming.

Reactions: BCP