• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF ATACR 4-16X42 vs X50 both F1's

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
NF ATACR 4-16X42 vs X50 both F1's

Is there a difference between these two scopes. I own both the 42 bell and the 50 bell. But I often see the 50 bell cheaper, is there any difference other than bell size? Why would it be cheaper, simple supply and demand ??

PB

You are 100% correct. I had to go look, but since I have so many of their higher power scopes with taller turrets, I didn't even notice.

Not sure why I keep typing in BOLD

PB

NF called me back ( very quickly-impressive) and said the turrets which WT6.5 pointed out. He also said the 50 was not F1, but the 50 is F1 so I guess he thought I was thinking NX8 line. Nope I'm comparing ATACR to ATACR. Other than turret height and 50 bell, anything else?

PB

I don’t think there is any difference between the two except objective size and the 42’s having the low locking turrets and 4 mils less elevation travel (and a few ounces lighter) The 50’s never really caught on, I believe msrp was the same on the two models but resale the 50’s always seem a bit lower.

On a bolt gun I really like the 50. It may just be sample size because I’m only comparing my one 50mm to my one 42mm but right at dusk I feel like the 50 is a little brighter. Don’t hype them up to much I keep missing the deals on the 50’s and would love to have another C618!

So, a little more info for those looking and FN junkies. They quit making the 50 bell in F1 due to launch of NX8 series. So current ones are F2. Also the 50 has 110 elevation vs 89 for the 42. But they did make F1 in both 42 and 50 until 2021 sometime.

I’ve always wondered if the 50 would be noticeably better with a clip on. Almost justified buying one in my head for that reason alone

I have a 42 and absolutely love it and the low profile locking turrets. Perfect size scope for an AR 10 or 15

NF called me back ( very quickly-impressive) and said the turrets which WT6.5 pointed out. He also said the 50 was not F1, but the 50 is F1 so I guess he thought I was thinking NX8 line. Nope I'm comparing ATACR to ATACR. Other than turret height and 50 bell, anything else?

PB
It's not just the turret height..pretty sure the 50mm objectve does not have zero lock while the 42 mm objective does. That's the little button on the turret that stops your turret on your zero when you dial down to zero

Pretty sure the 4-16x50 F1 ATACR was replaced with the new 4-20x50 F1 ATACR.

It's not just the turret height..pretty sure the 50mm objectve does not have zero lock while the 42 mm objective does. That's the little button on the turret that stops your turret on your zero when you dial down to zero
That’s right, the x50 has no lock button on the elevation turret (NF refers to it as zero hold). The lower profile zero hold turret design on the x42 is pretty neat and would have been a nice option to have on the x50 as well.

Gamewarden, they still make a 4-16X50 but its now and F2, ( quit making F1 in 2021) and yes they make ATACR 4-20X50 F1. Ive never played with the 4-20 scopes but interesting. I wonder if the eye relief is better on the ATACR 4-20 vs NXS that was reported as a bit tight. You have one by any chance?

Boomslang, my 4-16X50 F1 ATACR has zero stop but it doesn't have the button that allows you to go below the zero stop like the X42. That is the only scope that offers that feature. ( I'm quoting NF, I'm no expert) The guy at NF gave this explanation and I'll probably butcher it but here goes. Paraphrasing

"The X42 has the button that allows you to go beyond zero stop bc it was made for low profile gas gun purposes (AR10-15 maybe) and if you were laying on your side with port side up, you could use the elevation knob as windage knob while prone on side". We both laughed about it. Just so you know that was some engineers concept of that zero stop.

I usually just set my zero stop a mil past needed in case my load changes and want to rezero without the extra zero stop drama. I like the feel of the taller turret but like the height of the low profile turret so its a mixed bag for me. The low profile turret has a different set of tiny tiny screws that causes me concern but only caused problems once. I can't remember but think I tightened them too tight and stripped them as a result. The regular screws are small enough.

I repeat, I am no expert and understand I am not trying to act as such, just passing on what I would think others might want to further understand as I did. Shout out to NF, they called me back immediately and when I had a follow up question, two people called me back with one right after another. Very impressive company customer service. Monster shout!

PB

Last edited:
Agree the x42 seems ideal for a .308 gasser, although I have a x50 F1 on one also and it’s right at home. I would have gone with the x42, but with the x50 being discontinued at the time, I had come up on a decent deal that just made sense.

Reactions: Pappasniper
Yea, I have the X50 on a MWS and I have zero issues with any of it. Bought here off the boards for sub $2k, used gently. Great place to buy glass is the exchange.

PB

Reactions: 30Hart
Pretty sure gayeupold sued them over the x42 and they can’t put them on any other models now

1651979505138.gif