• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF ATACR- 7-35 vs 5-25- Hunting

Which ATACR would you choose for low light performance?

• 5-25

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • 7-35

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    I’ve read every review I can find between the 2 scopes. Figured I’d ask on here as well as I know many own both

Comparing the F1 scopes. FFP

I own the 4-16 already. I know I’d need illuminated reticle to shoot in low light with either the 5-25 or 7-35

1) I’m wondering if either provides better low light performance? When set on their lowest magnification 5X and 7X will the 5-25 be noticeably brighter on 5? I’ve read the 5-25 tunnels on the low end and thinking that may make a difference

2) With both scopes set on 7X are the reticles the same size? Or is the 7X the same as the 5-25 on 5X

This is going on an AXMC. Will be chambered in 300 PRC but will be used for other calibers in future as well. It’s used for crop damage (deer population control). Shots are taken from prone positions in open fields. 40-120 acres. Shooting until 1/2 hour after sunset. Only shooting does so IDing the deer is just as important as shooting. Shots 100-800 typically

I don’t have either or I’d set them side by side at low light and compare myself. For comparison let’s assume both are same reticle etc

Thank you

Last edited:
    I've got both. I haven't done a side by side comparison but I've used both in really dark conditions in the woods and never felt hindered by either. After that I'd need NV. Tunneling is a non issue AFAIC.

Right now my preference is towards the NF ATACR 7-35 in Mil XT. Really like the reticle and the small aim point dot

My 4-16 is in MOAR

We hunt at my friends land and its prone glassing for deer and hogs out to 1000 yds.

I've been using a 7-35 for this and its been excellent. Great on ID'ing deer and excellent in low light. Sorry no experience with the 5-25 but doubt you can go wrong with either one. I would still want max magnification for ID.

I have some dislikes on the ATACR but usually there is a ZCO, Mark 5hd and a Minox with us and the ATACR is the best in low light.

Reactions: hafejd30
    You guys are definitely helping with my decision

Thank you

I have the 7-35 (T3) now and had a 5-25 prior. The only drawback to the 7-35 is the minimum magnification and acquiring closer range targets. The 7-35 focuses down to just a few yards, but I have a harder time getting closer targets in my sight picture than I did with the that 5-25.

Beyond that, the added weight of the 7-35 feels negligible (they're both heavy lol).

voted 7-35, but considering you have over 10k tied up into your rig, is there any reason you are not looking at a clip on NV? They really are not that much more expensive than that 7-35 and are a order of magnitude more effective at doing what you want to do. Especially in that sub 200 yard envelope.

Right tools and all that good stuff

voted 7-35, but considering you have over 10k tied up into your rig, is there any reason you are not looking at a clip on NV? They really are not that much more expensive than that 7-35 and are a order of magnitude more effective at doing what you want to do. Especially in that sub 200 yard envelope.

Right tools and all that good stuff

This hunting is done during daylight hours. The 1/2 hour after sunset is actually just about the time you can’t ID the deer. On a cloudy day it ends a bit earlier.

I have thermal if I need to do it at night. That requires special circumstances. I have the means to handle sub 200 easily with an array of weapons.

I have a spotting scope as well for IDing deer. And I don’t just mean to see it’s a deer. We shoot does so shooting a 3” spike is something we typically want to avoid

Last edited:
    So after much research, looking through a couple ATACR and playing with my Athlon Cronus BTR at 5/7 and 25/29 powers I came to the conclusion that the 5-25 was best for my application and would be using the lower end more than the upper end for my hunting needs

Ordered a 5-25 ATACR F1 in Mil XT

The several hundred saved over the 7-35 will be used to purchase a spuhr mount

Thank you to all who helped

Reactions: BlackDogDiesel
    You'll be happy with your decision. The Mil-XT reticle has become my favorite. Spuhr mount will look right at home on the AI!