• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF ATACR vs Leupold Mark 5HD vs Vortex Razor HD Gen II

darkjedi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2020
I'm looking for a higher end rifle scope to mate with a .308 MR762. I mostly plan to do sport shooting. Locally the longest range is 100yds, but's certainly not to say that I won't plan to bring it to longer ranges at some point in the future.

I've narrowed it down to the ~3-18x range as I doubt I'll be able to take advantage of zooms higher than 18x on a gas-piston semi, but certainly open to suggestion from those more knowledgeable than me.

ATACR 4-16x50
Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50

From what I can read the glass seems to be pretty equivalent between the 3 options, people seem to have their own taste about build/turret quality. The two biggest factors appear to be price and weight. The Leupold is an attractive option as it's the lightest of the 3 at 26oz, but Vortex seems to be the best bang for your buck, but clocks in almost double the weight at a hefty 46.5oz. Since the MR762 is already a somewhat heftier rifle, I can't imagine an extra 20oz is going to be comfortable unless I'm only bench shooting.

Anyway would appreciate anyone's input in regards to these scopes! I'm open to any suggestion or criticism.

Thanks!

I’ll be quick and easy since you’re new on here. Just use the search button. There’s a ton of comparisons of these scopes as well as others.

Having all 3 i would avoid the vortex and buy the mark 5 unless weight is of no concern or you are going to a very abusive environment then the nightforces benefits outweigh its weight penalty.

Reactions: darkjedi
NightForce is the best option
If you want tracking and a warranty you won’t need to use.

2.5-20 is another good option if you will use the rifle for close shots/hunting

D4FD54EF-F497-48A7-B5F3-8A20A4DE33C4.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: darkjedi and Rob01
Having all 3 i would avoid the vortex and buy the mark 5 unless weight is of no concern or you are going to a very abusive environment then the nightforces benefits outweigh its weight penalty.
NightForce is the best option
If you want tracking and a warranty you won’t need to use.
2.5-20 is another good option if you will use the rifle for close shots/hunting
20 ounces is a huge difference in weight.
Seems the consensus is between the NF and the Leupold. The NF is only 4oz heavier than the Leupold, which seems more palatable, other benefit it seems is that the NF has more/better reticle options. Is there an appreciable difference between the eyeboxes or glass between the two?

Get the reticle you prefer between the Leupold and Nightforce.
Having owned both I agree with this completely. If Leupold offered a decent reticle I would have a MK5 on every rifle I own, no more PMIIs or ATACRs for me. But sadly that’s not the case, maybe one day...

The reticle should be what you make your decision on. I've had multiple ATACRs and razors. Just got my first 18x MK5HD but I've had multiple 25x ones. The MK5HD is a better scope than the ATACRs are. The 1x and 42mm objective ATACRs are the best in the ATACR line but the zero stop is way more simple to use on the MK5HD than the ATACR, plus it's lighter. Unless you use T3, I'm not sure the Leupold is gonna have a reticle that you like. The ATACRs have more quality options in that regard.

Having owned both I agree with this completely. If Leupold offered a decent reticle I would have a MK5 on every rifle I own, no more PMIIs or ATACRs for me. But sadly that’s not the case, maybe one day...
Switch to T3. I got a mk5hd with T3 about a year or so ago to try the reticle out and is I liked it I would get a TT with T3. I now have 4 mk5hd with T3 lol.

Switch to T3. I got a mk5hd with T3 about a year or so ago to try the reticle out and is I liked it I would get a TT with T3. I now have 4 mk5hd with T3 lol.
Is yours the illuminated version? If so, how do you find the illumination. The specs seem to indicate it's only a few dots down the center.

Is yours the illuminated version? If so, how do you find the illumination. The specs seem to indicate it's only a few dots down the center.
One is illuminated the rest aren't. The entire reticle is illuminated on the MK5HD. At least on mine. I hear no other T3 is entirely illuminated but my experience with the reticle is limited to the MK5HD.

Normally yes, but not in the MK5. Leupold got it right. All of the wind dots and some other stuff illuminate and it’s tits.
One is illuminated the rest aren't. The entire reticle is illuminated on the MK5HD. At least on mine. I hear no other T3 is entirely illuminated but my experience with the reticle is limited to the MK5HD.
Oh great, on the website Leupold made it look like there were only a couple dots which seemed not very useful. If it's full illumination of the christmas tree, I think I will probably go with the T3. To be honest I've never used a christmas tree style reticle, but in talking with those who do use them, they seem to swear by them.

Something I found at least on the mark 5 5-25 on the TMR reticle if you get illuminated you get a floating center dot. Non-illuminated have an open center. The illuminated really appealed to me with the floating dot.

Something I found at least on the mark 5 5-25 on the TMR reticle if you get illuminated you get a floating center dot. Non-illuminated have an open center. The illuminated really appealed to me with the floating dot.
I did notice that, which makes the TMR reticle somewhat decent. I also realized that the T3 reticle is like $400 more than the TMR MSRP which seems kind of steep.

why dont you like ATACR?

why dont you like ATACR?
I like the ATACR & the PMII quite a lot. However if the Leupold’s just had a reticle I liked better I would like the MK5 better, IMO the optics are every bit as good and slightly better in some ways (I have owned all 3 at the same time and have done a good bit of side by side testing), all 3 tracked perfectly, the MK5 is less expensive and lighter weight and I like the turrets better on the MK5.

@darkjedi 4-16 ATACRs will always have a place in my heart. Current owner of a x42 T3 and next on the list is a x50 with the Mil C. The low profile turrets are nice but so are the taller variety. I might like taller turrets ever so slightly. With that said, at some point I’ll be getting a Mk5HD 3.6-18 with the illuminated TMR. For some back and forth between a x24 NXS and it.

Really what my point is, is that you should make your decision between the ATACR and Mk5. Being that the ATACR is the older of the two, I’m wondering if a slightly higher mag range is on the horizon. At present time one is certainly less in price than the other. Perhaps an arbitrary statement but possibly relevant.

Oh great, on the website Leupold made it look like there were only a couple dots which seemed not very useful. If it's full illumination of the christmas tree, I think I will probably go with the T3. To be honest I've never used a christmas tree style reticle, but in talking with those who do use them, they seem to swear by them.

Not in the Leupold, but that’s how it was on my NF and S&B T3’s. Only the center dot and then every 1 mil or every other mil going down had a dot. None of the tree was illuminated.

Honestly unless you’re going to hunt with it in low light then illumination is pointless anyway and I’d save the $400 it’s going to cost you. If you might hunt with it then definitely get the illumination.