• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF atacr vs minox ZP5

MJ2936

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2013
USA
I know this is probably a beaten dead horse in hades but I was looking at USO vs the NSX for my scar MK17, then I started looking at slightly higher magnification as I already have a kahles k16i for the 1-6 range.

While if I had oodles of money I would look at the tangent theta or S&B, I was looking at two particular scopes that seems to be talked about a lot, but not compared as often directly head to head, more in a "top tier scope" review.

I haven't looked through either and probably can't, but was looking at the NF atacr 4-16x42 in the Mil-R reticle and the ZP5 3-15 in the MR5 or MR2 reticles.

Things I've heard:

NF:

Can take a beating, glass is on par with the razor HDs, maybe slightly below S&B/Premier/TT
Has great turrets with locking turrets for elevation, and covered turrets for windage
Has rotating eye piece for magnification ring if that annoys some people
Green/red illumination with a "button" on the side
Not as accurate in terms of parallax adjustment

Minox:

Has glass as good or better than S&B, very close to TT
Durability is likely ok, but no one really talks about it, but a worry with the MK17
Turrets used to be a little mushier but now better, and has more clicks for one revolution vs NF
Illumination may be not as daylight bright, parallax adjustment is accurate
Warranty was a little shoddy? (but apparently fixed now?)

If anyone could lead me in the right direction as to which of these scopes would be beneficial. Or if you have other suggestions. I really am looking at this magnification range so that kinda rules out the kahles 6-x. Don't really know if the MK8 1-8 really gives me more over the kahles k16i I already own.

Both are going to serve the same purpose which is hitting ipsc targets at 500-800 yds (probably the best of my abilities on the MK17)

I love my NF Atacr F1 4-16, but I am still aching to get one of the Minox ZP5 scopes (5-25 though). I've sold/traded a lot of scopes over the years but my 4-16 NF is gonna be sticking with me for a long time as I won't be getting rid of it. Solid scope that tracks and RTZ, good glass, etc...

Reactions: deersniper
On a scar, and given you want a little higher mag and not looking at true compact scopes, the NF 4-16 hands down. This scope is a tank and feature rich.

On those SCAR rifles I would consider the 3-18 MK6. The weight is hard to compete with. And to be had for 1450 new in box now an again, its worth the consideration. And thats with a H58 reticle also. The Steiner M5xi with MSR or H59 is a great option also, I had one on my SR25 for a while. I also had a TT 315P on a SR25. While its a great scope, to me, the price for it to be putting on a "hard use" gas gun isn't there. Just my opinion. I think the ATACR will fair you well too.

On a scar, and given you want a little higher mag and not looking at true compact scopes, the NF 4-16 hands down. This scope is a tank and feature rich.

Then the answer is to start to look and get a S&B Ultra Short.

I myself have the ATACR 4-16 F1, Minox ZP5 3-15x, and maybe a few others on my list to check out for my small frame gas gun for replacement next year.

Wow, you guys have widened the scope (pun) of the inquiry.

First, I agree with the assessment by OP, generally, between the two. I think the Minox is better quality, but not a huge gap. OP mentioned he wants to mount on a Scar. I agree with Wyzard. NF has it hands-down between the two, because of its toughness. Minox might go better on a bench rest gun.

While not asked, I also agree with jwknutsen that the Leupold Mark 6 is an even better choice. I would not go to S&B US (although it is probably my most favorite scope) on a Scar.

I've shot the Minox zp5 MR4 and MR5 reticle 5-25 with our shilen barreled ar10s pretty extensively. Pretty darn awesome scope. The glass is as good as any S n B without any tunneling issues. Minox is NOT daylight bright illumination. Not at all. Turrets are good. Not best. But workable. Never left wondering where they are... it's build like a tank. Take a month to get fixed if u have to send it in. Parallax is nice. Mostly a set and forget thing. Your out of parallax adjustment at around 4 or 500ish yards. No markings but that never bothered me. Just a fantastic scope that does everything really well.

Thank you all for the input. The mark 6 is very intriguing. I guess the daylight bright illum is not as big a deal as at even the 3x if I ever go that low, I think the MR5 or MR2 reticles are probably pretty well visible. Anyone think the NF atacr is too far behind?

I would personally recommend the NF. They are of outstanding quality and durability. Plus it won't take 8 weeks to get your scope back if something happens. Reticle options are decent. Parallax isn't an issue, my 4-16 was fine in that regard. Also has capped windage and zero lock on the elevation so that's a plus to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would absolutely recommend NF... I am thoroughly pleased. Only thing I would say is that Gen II glass is almost on par with the NF, not the other way around ;)

Reactions: Big Ern
Heard the minox is pretty durable too. Is it pretty much a wash between the two in terms of durability with a slight edge on glass vs reticle choice to the minox?

Necropost from Hell, but I’m trying to decide between these 2 for a 16” Recce build. Pretty much ruled out the Vortex AMG and down to these two. Any input appreciated.

Necropost from Hell, but I’m trying to decide between these 2 for a 16” Recce build. Pretty much ruled out the Vortex AMG and down to these two. Any input appreciated.

The 3-15x ZP5 and the 4-16x ATACR are two of my favorite optics and I’ve had quite a few of each over the years. However as it stands, I have a couple 4-16x ATACRS and no ZP5’s. I just didn’t care for my warranty experience on a new ZP5 I bought and sold them all off after that. Others have faired better so take it for what it’s worth.
Feature wise, I like the NightForce more but optically the edge goes to the Minox. The NightForce has a larger reticle selection. I don’t get that hung up on turret feel but I guess I’d give the edge to NF. Of the few ZP5’s I had, the turrets and 2nd rev bump all varied in feel.

Another vote for the 4-16 atacr here. I don't know if you are interested in buying used or not, but the Tangent Theta 3-15 M may be worth looking at. I bought a 3-15 P model awhile back for $2600.