• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes NF clarity difference between 50mm and 56mm

TKellogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
South West Michigan
I just purchased my second NF. It's a 5.5-22x50mm the first was a 5.5-22x56mm.

My question is has anyone noticed a clarity difference between the two? The 50mm seems clearer/brighter at 22x than the 56. Maybe it's just me.

Re: NF clarity difference between 50mm and 56mm

The only NF I have is a 5.5x22x56 but it's the brightest/best scope for low light that I own, my USO is close but the NF takes the edge, probably because the much bigger obj. on the NF.

The other scopes I own are:
SWFA HD 5-20x50
USO TPAL 3.2-17x44
Bushnell Elite 6-24x50

Should be the other way around. The 5.5-22x56 has the greater exit pupil (2.5mm vs 2.3mm). Not sure why your 50mm should have greater clarity than the 56mm version of the same scope. Unless you're in low light conditions, I wouldn't have expected you to see a great difference between the two.

The clarity difference is likely just normal variance from sample to sample. I've had two identical scopes and one would be noticeably clearer.

Probably just a difference in coatings. You shouldn't notice a difference in brightness between those two scopes if coatings are equal. A 6MM larger objective will not make the scope clearer or bright in any way but it will have a larger exit pupil. I would say it's just the coatings or the difference you can have in glass quality scope to scope.

I had a recent conversation about this with a Nightforce distributor. His recommendation was to stay with the 50 especially if there will be any kind of clearance issue. He said there will be more light gathering ability with the 56 but it will only be critical in low light situations as in hunting. Since I'm a paper-puncher, I went with the 50.

Atleast I'm not crazy. I still thoink they are clearer than the other scopes I've used.

Yeah, what you're seeing has nothing to do with the 50mm vs. 56mm issue. All things being equal, the 56mm scope should arguably let in more light and MAY be noticeable in low light conditions, but what I think you're seeing is just the typical variances that you'll see in any line of scopes and you'll likely only notice the difference in a side by side comparison.

I wouldn't sweat it. When I bought my 50mm, I went that route because I wanted to be able to use the lower rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, what you're seeing has nothing to do with the 50mm vs. 56mm issue. All things being equal, the 56mm scope should arguably let in more light and MAY be noticeable in low light conditions, but what I think you're seeing is just the typical variances that you'll see in any line of scopes and you'll likely only notice the difference in a side by side comparison.

I wouldn't sweat it. When I bought my 50mm, I went that route because I wanted to be able to use the lower rings. </div></div>

+1

The 56mm will help a little in lowlight. During the daytime you eye can only take in 4mm at the most. The 50mm lets in more than enough light. On bright days the eye can only handle so much light so if you get too much light it will cause you to see a washed-out images or even bright spots when you look away.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, what you're seeing has nothing to do with the 50mm vs. 56mm issue. All things being equal, the 56mm scope should arguably let in more light and MAY be noticeable in low light conditions, but what I think you're seeing is just the typical variances that you'll see in any line of scopes and you'll likely only notice the difference in a side by side comparison.

I wouldn't sweat it. When I bought my 50mm, I went that route because I wanted to be able to use the lower rings. </div></div>

+1

The 56mm will help a little in lowlight. During the daytime you eye can only take in 4mm at the most. The 50mm lets in more than enough light. On bright days the eye can only handle so much light so if you get too much light it will cause you to see a washed-out images or even bright spots when you look away.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

+1 I have both a 50mm and 56mm NF scope and can't tell the difference in the brightness or clarity on equal magnification settings.

Hmmm, I don't have the scope anymore so I can't do a side by side. I'm guessing it was just the day I was using it or something.