• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition NF Comp 2014 1st impression

Willbas

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2013
La Mesa, CA.
The reticle lines are not bold but fine and the lines are not dark but just dark enough to be very workable. Now here is the comparison with the Leupold VX6 7-42. NF .07 inches longer and 1.57 ounces heavier but the NF comes with 3 inch sun shade. I like NF exposed and larger turrets than the smaller Leupold turrets. On the Leupold the graduation are stack very close to each other and the numbers and marks are small. It was very easy for me to move the turret too far on the 7-42, did I move 4 or 6 clicks. My poor eyes and big hands like the NF better. I have had no problem with the NF zero stop on the 7-42 the small turret would slip on me. Owner’s Manual’s NF wins hands down bigger with color pictures. The NF manual was for both the Competition and Precision each with its own sections. The Leupold was small fine print and even cover hand guns. I got the NF Comp with the FCR-1 reticle. I have only fired 35 rounds with this scope but I like it. The real test for the NF Comp will be next week end when I try it out a 300 yard high power match.

How many turns does the NF need to get from 100-1000 yards?
How many MOA per turn?

How much windage adjustment?
How much elevation adjustment?

Have not seen 2014 model

On Leupold we asked for clicks to be closer so we could get 1000 yards without a million turns and never have to turn the windage knob more than one rotation. It was a problem during 2009 World Championships where we ran out of windage on our NXS 12-42s at Bisley

The Leupold was designed for 1000 yard F Class and its features are there for that. Anytime you have multiple turns for wind or elevation you have the great chance to be off a turn when it counts

Last edited:
How many MOA per turn?

Have not seen 2014 model

On Leupold we asked for clicks to be closer so we could get 1000 yards without a million turns and never have to turn the windage knob more than one rotation. It was a problem during 2009 World Championships where we ran out of windage on our NXS 12-42s at Bisley

The Leupold was designed for 1000 yard F Class and its features are there for that. Anytime you have multiple turns for wind or elevation you have the great chance to be off a turn when it counts

for me 3.3 turns for my ammo
10 MOA a turn
Windage 50 MOA
Elevation 55 MOA

On the turrets if you want to cut down on the number of turns would you want as large as possible turrets so only one or two covered all of the MOA
How many MOA per turn?

Have not seen 2014 model

On the turrets if you want to cut down on the number of turns would you want as large as possible turrets so only one or two covered all of the MOA

Making a turret larger does not increase the adjustment range for one turn i.e. "cut down on the number of turns". The only way to increase the range of adjustment for one turn is to change the pitch of the screw, so to speak. If your small turret gets 5 MOAs per revolution, a big turret would still only get 5 MOAs per revolution thought the distance traveled on the outside diameter of the larger turret will be longer than the distance traveled on the outside diameter of the smaller turret.

How many MOA per turn?

Have not seen 2014 model

I've had one since they came out earlier this year and put it through a few matches.

It's 10 MOA/turn, but it's pretty obvious which turn you're on because the bottom edge of the turret cap actually lines up with the graduations on the turret, which isn't exactly the case with most scopes I've used. It's not foolproof because you have to look closely, but you don't have that "I wonder if that's showing two or three turns" moment - it's always clear. The clicks could be closer together, but I like the competition the way it is. If anything they're on the coarse side - it's not easy to overshoot and put too many clicks on it.

I really like mine over all - especially the reticle. At 55x the 50mm Objective makes for a small exit pupil, but it's much more tolerable at 40x.

Tracking is good and repeatable. Optics are good enough for me not to notice them.

The turrets are marked for far sighted old men. The numbers are huge. Offering two windage styles is a nice touch too.

The one thing I found myself wanting that I didn't expect was illumination. Last month, the light conditions were just right so that I had a hard time reading the tick marks against the black. Not sure that's unique to this scope, though.