• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF ELR 2022

Reload10

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Going to register for it, looking for any beneficial insights past participants wish they knew before competing. I've got plenty of matches and long range experience, but not specifically this match.

All KD target engagements?
100% prone?
Time to find/mil targets prior to engaging?
Stages spread out enough to warrant a light ruck?

Thanks

It's been a couple years, hopefully I'll make it this year. Target distance is given but I would verify, mostly modified prone but it's a field match & probably be times shooting off rocks or? (gamechanger). Usually a map at each stage for target location or an RO, not a real fast paced match. Q creek we did some hiking, haven't been to new location

Reactions: Reload10
I shot '16, '18, '19, and '20. See bold below.

Going to register for it, looking for any beneficial insights past participants wish they knew before competing. I've got plenty of matches and long range experience, but not specifically this match.

All KD target engagements? Yes - but many confirm via LRF during the match
100% prone? Yes
Time to find/mil targets prior to engaging? Find - yes - mil - good luck!
Stages spread out enough to warrant a light ruck? no - a bit more hiking than a standard PRS match, but not as much as NRL Hunter. Onse steep ridge, one long hill

Thanks

Read the PRS blog articles: https://precisionrifleblog.com/tag/q-creek-elr-prs-match/

Get rock solid with your ballistic calculator - if you don't trust the numbers coming out of it, it will be a long few days.

Be ready for wind.

Reactions: Reload10
I shot the last two years, loved every second of it. I’ll be shooting it as a team this year (2 man).

Prone shooting.
Last year you stared standing with gun in hand. Load, find, shoot. Went fast.
A match book with critter/sizes of targets with compass headings, yardages and pictures is provided. It’s probably the most detailed match book I’ve ever had the pleasure of using. Very well done.

You have time to find targets and do your dope thing before you get on the clock as you wait in line for others to shoot.

Rock solid dope, good glass for finding rust colored targets with a rifle system that will not malfunction in Wyoming moon dust. That stuff gets everywhere and your rifle will be lapped in after a weekend of running in that lol. It’s windy, but it’s a fun wind and isn’t that bad to figure out... most of the time.

This seems like it would be a great time. How big of a handy cap would it be single loading?

This seems like it would be a great time. How big of a handy cap would it be single loading?

As long as you can quickly pull ammo from a binder and feed the rifle it wouldn’t be too big of a deal. Managing dust might be the bigger factor trying to keep ammo going into the rifle somewhat clean. I ran a brake the first year I shot it, that was rough. 10lbs of dirt in my eyes at the end of every day. Last year I ran suppressed, I’ll do the same this year.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Super fun match. I go every year.

@NoLegs24 won a few years ago single loading because of a mag issue that has since been resolved.

I'm registered to go. Now I need to decide 7 saum or 300nm. Have both ready to go.

I'm registered to go. Now I need to decide 7 saum or 300nm. Have both ready to go.
I'd love to do this match, also have a 7 saum and 300 norma. Don't think you can go wrong with either one, they both seem to be the most popular caliber for this type of match.

Crazy question maybe or stupid but do they mandate eye glasses in this match?

Crazy question maybe or stupid but do they mandate eye glasses in this match?
No. But a few stages it’s a good idea because of the angle and type of loose rock, even wind blows the rocks into your eyes then muzzle break will blast even more into your eyes
F2E71089-E53B-4E4E-A3F6-DA53D4A82C6B.jpeg

Reactions: Schw15
I'm handcuffed to a brake. can't legally own a suppressor up here.
How does it work to shoot as a team? I can't seem to find any info on that.

I registered, first match ever. I figured someone's gotta be last LOL. Couple questions.

Do they give you any "range time" to true your ballistics once there or do that during the match?

200 rounds enough ammo?

I registered, first match ever. I figured someone's gotta be last LOL. Couple questions.

Do they give you any "range time" to true your ballistics once there or do that during the match?

200 rounds enough ammo?
AB will be there to get a PDM.

Yes, 200 rds is enough.

Where is a good hotel nearby?

AB will be there to get a PDM.

Yes, 200 rds is enough.

Where is a good hotel nearby?
They made a post on facebook about hotel.

Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge

lti14ut1nus9orht2utd ·

We have reserved rooms at the Ramkota Inn in Casper. If you want to stay there, tell them you’re interested in the rooms for Nightforce. It is located right off I25 and close to downtown Casper and restaurants/bars

Personal drag model.

Ive only seen the mobile lab available one day. It might be there for the weekend if they have the crew shooting the event though.

Reactions: Killer Deal
That's super dope, (pun intended) haha, sorry in dad mode.

But sweet, I'll have to make sure not to miss the opportunity.
it will 1000% be worth your while to get data on those 212s before the match

just a few thousand feet of elevation differece

@Taylorbok you inspired me to get off my ass and sign up for this as my first match too.

Sorry to disappoint but I’ll be bumping you out of that last place spot! 😜

• Haha
Always bring a pack. Gotta have spare parts, tools, spare layers, ammo, water, lickies and chewies.
That's what I assumed. someone else had asked if a "ruck" was necessary (I assume he means ruck sack) and he responded no...?

That's what I assumed. someone else had asked if a "ruck" was necessary (I assume he means ruck sack) and he responded no...?
You don't need a Ruck Sack per se, in my mind that's a backpacking pack something in the 50L + capacity.

A 24-48hr sustainment bag is sufficient. 20-35L capacity bag. As long as you can fit the above mentioned things plus some food. There are some short movements but nothing egregious to be expected.

I'll have my Vertx Overland Bag. I might pick up an Eberlestock Range Up bag because it has better sorting abilities to keep things straight but yeah just normal range day match day stuff.

Yeti Camino 35 did just fine. I normally use an Eberlestock Gunslinger but got tired of unpacking it every stage. The big purse was nice. If this was at Q Creek I’d stick with a backpack, but Tillard, besides a couple stages, is shot right next to dirt roads.

That said If I ever shoot it again I’d probably use a backpack. NRL hunter has helped me sort out my shooting process better.

Attachments

• 5115654D-BC4B-4402-90C7-570E78B3AF10.jpeg
    5115654D-BC4B-4402-90C7-570E78B3AF10.jpeg
    679.9 KB · Views: 99
I have a buddy who wants to come watch. I'm not sure if it's accommodating for spectators or what the rules are anyone have input?

Do people bring spotting scope and tripod for finding targets or just use bino's?
or they give you time before you start to find in your scope?

Is there an AAR/results from the 2022 match posted here on the Hide, or somewhere else? I don't do Facebook.

Match just ended yesterday....

Thanks in advance!

Cof was pretty much the same as last year, next year there should be some significant changes from what Tad said.

Wind was manageable, Saturday I measured between 8 and 22 with most averages being around 12-15.

Sunday was calm in the morning and picked up to 15mph by 11am.

The issue is that the wind is never constant. At those ranges, two shots 10 seconds apart could have a .2-.5 different wind call.

Still super fun and I’ll go again next year

I thought the wind was calm on Sunday. We started on the elk by the t-rex's (stage 7?). We were so excited thinking we'd clean it with no wind. No joy. First four shooters zeroed. Strange wind flow on what "appeared" like elk in the wide open.

I thought the wind was calm on Sunday. We started on the elk by the t-rex's (stage 7?). We were so excited thinking we'd clean it with no wind. No joy. First four shooters zeroed. Strange wind flow on what "appeared" like elk in the wide open.

The close elk tripped up more than one shooter on day one. Wind coming of the ridge lifted bullets a couple tenths

Every correction we made didn't go where we corrected even horizontal changes.

Same deal. Quite a few zeroes and a bunch of 2's and 3's. The wind was not as calm as we had expected.

We shot the rams on stage 10 on Sunday, too. Lots of variation in vertical for all of us. Talked to a couple other squads who had the same. It seems the hill on the left was similar to the elk.

The wind was challenging and fun. very hard to get a good read on. The mirage pretty much stayed right on the ground. Several targets where the follow up round with a full plate correction would land in the exact same spot as the first round with no detectable change in wind.

Practice day is a bit disorganized, they could have a dedicated line for checking 100 yard zero and maybe some form of dividers, also would be nice if the area where you shoot the unicorn from for the charity was roped off so people trying to zero or what ever didn't encroach to much. I didn't even realize that's what they were doing there until I laid down to confirm zero.

Target lay out was good, fun and challenging. I struggled on two stages with bipod/bag elevation but was my first match so a bit more practice and ill figure that out. Since there hasn't been changes to target lay out the people that shoot it every year have a definite advantage. We tried spotting scope and binos, the spotting scope was much better for watching hits/misses but the binos made targets easier to find, I don't know why but everyone in our group was having hard time with range finders.

I used a duffle style bag as recommended here and will definitely use a backpack next year. I packed a water bottle, some didn't and there was more than a few stages where they had run out of water at that time. A hooded shirt and sunscreen is a must.

One big thing is make sure your load doesn't make pressure in those temps/ elevation. I was having extraction issues, I know my primary extraction could be better. I had some hurdles that prevented me from developing a load that was at the lower powder node so I went with what I knew. I know of at least 5 broken extractors at the match.

Also mag feed if you can, I had no problem with time singe feeding but definitely a disadvantage.

We had a group that decided to take the liberty and skip over us and another group and caused a massive traffic jam, so just don't do that.

Would be nice if the awards would get under way a bit quicker, was a couple hours just sitting waiting, not a huge deal but we had miles to make.

All in all was a great time, learned a ton and met some really nice people, Will be back next year.

Reactions: parshal and Schw15
To all those who think you need a big, heavy caliber for this match it's just not true. The first day, a guy in our squad with a 6.5 Creed with 144's was killing it. This match is more of a medium range rather than true ELR. Most targets are in the 1100-1400 yard range with some in the high 700's and a couple over 2000. I would say take the most accurate gun you have with verified dope before building a heavy specific for the match.

To all those who think you need a big, heavy caliber for this match it's just not true. The first day, a guy in our squad with a 6.5 Creed with 144's was killing it. This match is more of a medium range rather than true ELR. Most targets are in the 1100-1400 yard range with some in the high 700's and a couple over 2000. I would say take the most accurate gun you have with verified dope before building a heavy specific for the match.

I agree 99% with you, you can definitely bring what you have. 2 guys in the squad behind me were holding their own shooting even 6 dashers. My cousin did shoot 6.5cm this year and struggled a bit. So you definitely want to have everything wired tight. Also there is a risk of missing some impacts which I'm sure happened to my cousin because that the 1200+ ranges it's hard to pick up splash. Also gotta be on top of your wind game, but there's no reason you shouldn't be spotting you misses at these ranges in the moon dust.

I shot 300 prc this year and loved it. Finished middle of pack which I was stoked about for my first year shooting this match and first time putting this rifle through its paces outside of load development.

Next year, my cousin and I are planning to shoot teams with 6.5 PRCs in 7.5 twist and were gonna try both the atips and bergers in the 150 range and we'll see what shakes out.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
One other thing I would say to people is if you aren't from there, or familiar with the area or roads make sure to review the route your gps gives you and stick to the highways. I stayed the night before in Gillette and punched the co-ordinates into Google Maps, well it ended up taking me down about 40 miles of grid road and then 20 miles of path through farm land. We were blocked by a locked gate from our destination 3 miles away.

Had to back track 20 miles and go another 50 ish around.

One other thing I would say to people is if you aren't from there, or familiar with the area or roads make sure to review the route your gps gives you and stick to the highways. I stayed the night before in Gillette and punched the co-ordinates into Google Maps, well it ended up taking me down about 40 miles of grid road and then 20 miles of path through farm land. We were blocked by a locked gate from our destination 3 miles away.

Had to back track 20 miles and go another 50 ish around.
Translation drive to glenrock, north on 95, then left at the Sinclair gas station, follow the signs for the next left.