• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NF ELR steel challenge build idea?

Raufoss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Missouri
If you had to build a setup for the NF ELR steel challenge, which caliber would you use with which components?

I need inspiration

A 7mm, probably 28 Sherman. To be fair 6.5 PRC won teams last year and my buddy shooting a 25 SST got 4th this year. So you.can only game so much, it usually.comes.down to the shooter like usual.

I ran a 7-300wm this year running 190gr atips at 3048 fps. I wouldn't change it a bit. Lowish recoil, and very good ballistics. Only downfall is I use cip mags and they only make 5rd mags. If it was in an AI AXSR or something it would be better so I could run 10 rd mags

Reactions: Schw15
A 7mm, probably 28 Sherman. To be fair 6.5 PRC won teams last year and my buddy shooting a 25 SST got 4th this year. So you.can only game so much, it usually.comes.down to the shooter like usual.

I don’t really want to game anything, there is just so many choices. I want to do the right choice so that I won’t regret it.

It’s just that I’m not sure I want to run a 300NM. 7mm’s is the logical choice.

I ran a 7-300wm this year running 190gr atips at 3048 fps. I wouldn't change it a bit. Lowish recoil, and very good ballistics. Only downfall is I use cip mags and they only make 5rd mags. If it was in an AI AXSR or something it would be better so I could run 10 rd mags
it would make sense yes.

I like the idea of a 7-300prc next year.

I ran a 300 prc and wouldn't hesitate to run it again

@NoLegs24 and @hic28 won it running 300nm aka "300 Norman" 😜 this year

How long of a barrel you running on the 7-300 wm?

My other dude in my squad single deeded 300 PRC in a Tikka because his mags wouldn't fit and he got 17th this year so don't be afraid to load 10 rounds in 2 round sap holders all over your scope lmao

Sure seems like I see a lot of MRADs in 300 Norma near the top each year

I ran two 5 rd cip mags just switched mags if needed. Plenty of time my buddy single loads with no time issues.

Wasn’t this just the year Bryan Litz won?

I suppose I should say MRAD and AI's, but looking at the top competitors, I saw a lot of them and most seemed either to be 300NM or 300 PRC. Francis Colon finished 3rd in the open this year with an MRAD, and I believe all the AB guys were running them and didn't finish too shabby. And I may be wrong but either an AI or an MRAD has been the rifle used for first place finished for the last 4 years. Obviously the shooter is the most important part, but seems to me that those two platforms do very well.

Reactions: Schw15
From what I could tell earlier this year, getting reloading components has been/continues to be tricky. I'm curious how far out the average guys starts stockpiling?

.300NM/NMI. .300 PRC would be a decent choice as well.

After that, it's all to your specific preference for individual components for the build.

Reactions: Raufoss
I suppose I should say MRAD and AI's, but looking at the top competitors, I saw a lot of them and most seemed either to be 300NM or 300 PRC. Francis Colon finished 3rd in the open this year with an MRAD, and I believe all the AB guys were running them and didn't finish too shabby. And I may be wrong but either an AI or an MRAD has been the rifle used for first place finished for the last 4 years. Obviously the shooter is the most important part, but seems to me that those two platforms do very well.

I see that the 1st place this year also was an MRAD in 300 Norma. AB shooter, they seem to all shoot MRADs as you mentioned. Are they sponsored by Barrett or do they know something we dont? I would have guessed that they would shoot custom rifles instead.

This was my first year shooting it first match ever it was a blast. I shot a 30 nosler with some freebore. The 300 norma seems king for this match and always wins. The 30 nosler was the closest thing to the norma I found without going to bigger bolt face or wildcats. Last year I had plans to go but couldn't make it then I was going to bring a 7-300 win mag. I think a fast 7mm would do amazing lighter recoil and great ballistics. But I think anything would work caliber wise most important part is a rifle that shoots good and your kestrel lines up perfect with your rifle is more important. Good bipod and rear bag

Reactions: Raufoss
looks like the 300NM is the way to go. I’m tempted by the 300 Sherman mag too.

looks like the 300NM is the way to go. I’m tempted by the 300 Sherman mag too.
My buddy shoots that he single loads at the nightforce. He had some pretty impressive data with his. I like mag feeding so 30 nosler was the easy button. They do make a 10 rd 300 win mag magazine but it's non cip

So for the last 4yrs at the NF ELR match, I won it in ‘20 (300NM) as Individual, placed 5th in ‘21 (300NM) as Individual, and won it in ‘22 (6.5PRC) and this year (‘23 with 300NM) with @hic28 in Teams Division.

Using Accuracy International’s of course.

The most used platforms in that match is Accuracy International & Barrett. Both
phenomenal weapon systems.

Personally, I don’t feel you need to be all special and go with some crazy wildcat. Keep it simple.

Pick a cartridge that has a good manufacturer to back it up with quality brass. Lapua, ADG, Peterson or Alpha.

I’ve used new brass at every NF ELR Match 😂
Ain’t got time to fireform/ hydroform brass just to shoot a weird cartridge.

So for the last 4yrs at the NF ELR match, I won it in ‘20 (300NM) as Individual, placed 5th in ‘21 (300NM) as Individual, and won it in ‘22 (6.5PRC) and this year (‘23 with 300NM) with @hic28 in Teams Division.

Personally, I don’t feel you need to be all special and go with some crazy wildcat. Keep it simple.

Pick a cartridge that has a good manufacturer to back it up with quality brass. Lapua, ADG, Peterson or Alpha.

You dominate that match and I'm very surprised that you bring virgin brass lol

Reactions: NoLegs24

I’m planning the build. I don’t have the budget to buy and AI or a Barrett.