• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF F1 Tracking Test

Runamuk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Southern IN
I do this from time-to-time to check out my scopes and my brother’s scopes, IMHO it takes the shooter out of the equation and in my case that’s a good thing. This F1 though is by far the most accurate scope we’ve tested and in almost 2yrs now it’s still the most accurate and my personal favorite. Just a couple observations;
1. How much a scope costs does not determine how well it tracks.
2. Even though your scope tracks properly one day does not mean a year later it’s still tracking properly.

**You have to look close to see the 1" dots on the board**
Enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PgpqpT0VYgo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
How far apart are those dots? How much of the elevation are you testing?

Sorry had to watch with no sound.

Yes it's tough to see in this video for some reason, on my iPhone it's very clear. Lawn is correct, elevation is tested to 20mil with windage tested to 5mil at both the 10 & 20mil points in elevation. Every NF we've ever tested has been very accurate.

How'd you get that scope mounted down so perfectly? Sucker doesn't look like it's moving at all!

How'd you get that scope mounted down so perfectly? Sucker doesn't look like it's moving at all!

That was the tricky part, along with being able to level everything out. A picture is worth a 1000 words :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 19
That was the tricky part, along with being able to level everything out. A picture is worth a 1000 words :)

Well that's not going anywhere! I like the nut and bolts so that you can level the I-Beam.

Last edited:
I've been getting a lot of questions about the procedure used in this testing and what the different scopes I've tested are. If you go to the below link you'll see all of the scopes that were tested that afternoon and a different link in the first paragraph that will take you to the procedures I used. Also keep in mind this is not a reflection of any of the manufactures, only of the scopes that I own from different manufactures. I can tell you from a bit of experience that no two scopes are the same, take 2 identical scopes, test them and their tracking will be different. (most of the time) Also next time we do this with Mil scopes we’ll be doing it at 100m vs 100yds but didn’t have the proper equipment that day so we stuck with what we had. If you see where some improvements need to be made pls let me know.

**Disclaimer** The link will take you to "Heels and handguns" this is a site ran by a close friend of mine, I help her out with content from time to time. The procedures that were written are a bit on the fluffy side but keep in mind they were written so a beginner could understand them and repeat the testing on their scopes if so desired. Go easy on her as she’s just starting out but trying to put her best foot forward and get more women involved in the shooting sports, which is a good thing for everyone.
(Tks Rob01 for letting me post the link)

Testing Leupold, Nightforce, Bushnell, Vortex and other Scopes! | Heels and Handguns

Thanks for the info! I'll definately be setting this up for myself soon to test my scopes from time to time.

This is great, thank you OP.

Anyone know where to get a picatinny rail that I can mount to a tripod plate? I bet this would work well on one of my heavy tripods... leveling would be easy with it.

This is great, thank you OP.

Anyone know where to get a picatinny rail that I can mount to a tripod plate? I bet this would work well on one of my heavy tripods... leveling would be easy with it.

I thought that would have been the ticket too, but it's not. I have a couple pretty heavy tripods and their just not solid enough, they show a lot of movement when your turning the dials and their ability to keep zero is iffy. Maybe you'll have better luck, it just didn't work out for me.

I have a tripod that weighs about 25 pounds and has a base that levels as opposed to a head. I'm quite curious to see if I can get it solid enough for a scope test if i put about 100 lbs of sand bags on it.

However same problem... need to find a picatinny rail that i can bolt onto my head plate. Would be SO awesome if it worked. :D

Running Litz's Tall Target test will give you your conversion numbers if needed without having to dismount your scope, clamp your gun or have exactly 100 yards. The conversion will work great out at ELR distances

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep running "Litz's tall target test" will work also, and I agree you don't need "exactly 100yds" but you do need to know exactly how far away your target is. If your distance is a little off it will slightly change your results and if your shooting is a little off that too will slightly change your results and both those errors will stack when you plug them in. Of course your results will be perfect if you're perfect. What I'm trying to do is remove as many of the variables as possible because I know I'm far from perfect.
You can't really see it in the videos because my camera sucks and I suck at making videos but I think one can easily see error down to .05mil (prob more) while looking through the scope and performing this test. Sadly I can't shoot to that level of accuracy or even to .1mil consistently so I needed to find another way to check my scope tracking. Dismounting my scopes isn't a big deal either, I'm not removing the scope from the rings just taking the rings off the base so things are really close when I put it back on my rifles. Is this process a bit over kill? Yea prob...but I have a good time doing it so I don't mind and I think my results are good.

That's one way to use a W-Flange...

Nice test! Great info!

The Nightforce F1 are great scopes I feel they get over looked a lot.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

I'm just happy I have one of them. And the LV.5 reticle is friggin awesome. Just wish that reticle was available to the BEAST. Just don't understand why that isn't the case, seriously!