• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes NF F1 w/velocity 1000, any comments ???

zx1963

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2010
Have a chance to get a F1, any comments on the Velocity 1000 reticle....??....thanks

Re: NF F1 w/velocity 1000, any comments ???

I find it's just like any other hold over/bdc/whatever you want to call it reticle.

I have used the velocity reticles and they do work however I prefer to dial in my dope in most situations.

Have you used the calculator on the nightforce website to make sure the reticle is going to work for your rifle? Make sure you enter real world values or else you'll end up with an expensive paper weight.

Very interested to hear as well any feedback on this particular piece of glass as it very well may be my next glass purchase.

I love my NXSc 2.5-10x32 with LV and its very fast, accurate, and user friendly.

At any rate, my next optic will almost for sure be a NF F1 and I'm strongly considering going with the Velocity 1000yd reticle.

I understand about dialing in your dope, it just makes sense sometimes. I wont to get into some long range shooting, would the wind hold offs in these kind of reticles be a benefit..??

Currently the only velocity reticle offered in the F1 is the LV.5

It is designed around ballistic profiles similar to the 175SMK going 2600fps give or take 25fps.

The velocity reticles are not designed around any one specific cartridge, but instead, a ballistic profile. The 168SMK going 2650 and the 175SMK going 2600 works well as do others.

Visit the Nightforce Optics website and utilize the calculator to see how the reticle measures against the ammo shot out of your gun. It is very important to verify the muzzle velocity shot out of the gun you intend to use the scope on.

I have an F1 with an LV.5 on a LaRue 18" OBR. My deviation is less than 1moa throughout the range. I shoot Mk316 Mod 0 and it matches up to within a minute. My Berger 168 Hybrid load(2610fps) shoots less than .49moa to 1k. Everything to 1k is actually less than .2moa. 1k is the highest deviation at .49moa low. That is all information that can be obtained from the Velocity Reticle Calculator,

I can ring pieces of 10" steel out to 1k without ever touching the knobs almost as fast as I can index the target.

Its a reticle that does not match up to everything, but when it does it is awesome. It does need to be corrected for at DA's other than where it is designed, but thats not hard. The calculator can provide that info.

I sight in the 200 yard main crosshair at 205 yards to lower the deviation. You can also true up at longer distances for even less deviation. I sometimes true up at 400 yards for a little more precision out at distance. You do not necessarily have to set your target at 205 to sight in. The calculator provides the offset. You can simply sight in at 100 or 200 yards and apply the offset.

The only distance that I really deal with any deviation is at 1k and I know my deviation is .49moa low, so I just correct for it by holding top of the 10" plate for a nice center hit. The wind corrections have always been spot on and are welcome.

We offer many other velocity reticle choices in the second focal plane scopes.

Just the LV.5 in the F1 for now.

This is not just one BDC reticle, but a series of 8 reticles that subtend to different ballistic profiles. All 8 of them are available in the 15x scopes. Only 5 are available in the 22x due to the smaller FOV available. The drops for some cartridges go below the available FOV and are not feasible in the 22x.

Hope this helps some.

bullitt

midways has the 5.5-22x 56mm with the velocity reticles

do these ones work on 22x since they are second focal plane ?

and a different question

I want to trade my F1 MLR for one with the 1000yd velocity reticle
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bullitt

midways has the 5.5-22x 56mm with the velocity reticles

do these ones work on 22x since they are second focal plane ?

and a different question

I want to trade my F1 MLR for one with the 1000yd velocity reticle
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yes, the SFP scopes only subtend correctly at their highest magnification setting of either 15x or 22x.

We will be back to doing service modifications after the first of the year. Changing out reticles to the new Velocity reticle will not be a problem. However, the only reticle that we can put in the F1 is the LV.5

Great post 00bullitt. I didn't realize you were with NF til I got to the very end, then it made sense why you had basically given exactly the information I needed to solidified my decision to go with the LV.5 in my future F1.

Again, I really love my LV in the NXSc 2.5, so I don't think I'm really going that much out on a ledge getting this reticle.

Thanks for the information:)

Is there any plans to put the other Velocity reticles in the F1...??
Also on the 22x sounds like only the Velocity reticles that support the higher BC loadings with better ballistics are offered...??

Are the lines super thin on this one? I used a 15x and 22x npr1 and the lines were ultra thin

Bullitt

the LV.5 reticle that works with FGMM 168gr and 175gr @2600 right ? which is what I use

and

the Velocity 1000 reticle is that subtended in mils or MOA ? It doesn't say on the NF website

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: metalmole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any plans to put the other Velocity reticles in the F1...??
Also on the 22x sounds like only the Velocity reticles that support the higher BC loadings with better ballistics are offered...?? </div></div>

In the 22x scopes, we have the five faster reticles. We can not fit the slower Velocity reticles due to a smaller field of view in the 22x. The 15x field of view is large enough for all of the reticles to fit and be completely visible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onyx1357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the lines super thin on this one? I used a 15x and 22x npr1 and the lines were ultra thin </div></div>

The line thickness of the NP-R1 is .0625 MOA which is 1/16 MOA. The Velocity reticle line thickness is .074 MOA which provides noticeably better visibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The LV.5 reticle that works with FGMM 168gr and 175gr @2600 right ? which is what I use

and

the Velocity 1000 reticle is that subtended in mils or MOA ? It doesn't say on the NF website </div></div>

The LV.5 will work well with a 175SMK at 2600fps give or take 25 fps as well as the 168SMK at 2650 give or take 25fps.

The accuracy of the reticle is also dependent on air density.

The Velocity reticles are subtended in MOA. They also have a 10 MOA range scale on the vertical line above center.

I'm looking forward to this myself. I have the 3.5-15 NXS, and will be ordering 1 of the VR's as soon as the reticle change option kicks in next year. Can't wait!!

I have a F1 with the 1000 reticle and it is Great.I use the reticle for quick shoots out to 400 to 500 yards but still dial on longer shots where the reticle may be off depending on temp or other variables.The key to this reticle (in my opinion) is sight your rifle in the middle of the range you will be shooting at.Since I shoot out to 500 yards with the reticle I sighted it in at 250 so I would be in the middle of the range I would be shooting.Im never off more than a couple of inches at any range out to 500.This works great for me in hunting because I never take a shot at game past 500 yards and the reticle is so fast.(I dont always have the time to dial)but Im still able to dial when needed at the range.For me its the best of both worlds and when they make one that will fit my other rifles I will have one on them too.