• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF Mil Spec Scopes are No More ...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Guys,

I heard it from the grapevine that the Mil Spec F1 scopes, the ones marked US ARMY underneath are now all GONE !

C154_ARMY_MIL_Sp_4f44a5c0b29a5.jpg

The last of them are in the dealers hands and once that supply runs out, they are history for the civilian world, and NF is usually pretty stiff on that.

Used on a variety of rifle systems in the Army and Navy inventory to include the Mk 11 and Mk13 rifles, it's your last chance to get one.

Last chance, hit your dealers up because when they run out, they are gone.

NightforceMilSpecBrochure12_11_Page_1.jpg

NightforceMilSpecBrochure12_11_Page_2.jpg

Re: NF Mil Spec Scopes are No More ...

HAHA..... poor JOE. Im sure one of our fine retailers here can feed his addiction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these differ from regular NF glass? </div></div>

They don't really..... Same trusty NF. Constructed a bit differently and marked MIL SPEC on the bottom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris@SportOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are still sitting on a few with the MLR reticle for those interested. </div></div>

Chris, are your F1 NXS with MLR2 the military designated ones ?

I think the Glass is a touch better than the regular SFP NXS line but my eyes are bad so it's hard to see.

This are built to Mil Spec tolerances and everything is glued in place, so they differ internally from your standard NXS line of scopes in their overall construction.

Any word on the reasoning behind ending the Mil Spec F1's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the reasoning behind ending the Mil Spec F1's? </div></div>

They have sold out the over runs...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the reasoning behind ending the Mil Spec F1's? </div></div>

It's my understanding they were overruns. They were not intended for commercial sale.
    If anyone wants to know more, read lowlights OP on specs. They are pretty impressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris@SportOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are still sitting on a few with the MLR reticle for those interested. </div></div>

Take Layaway payments ??? LOL
    grin.gif

Glad I picked up a MILDOT version when they came out...If they made a MilSpec in MLR2.0, I'd get another. They are great scopes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris@SportOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are still sitting on a few with the MLR reticle for those interested. </div></div>

Take Layaway payments ??? LOL
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

I'm sure we can work something out
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
    I heard it from the grapevine that the Mil Spec F1 scopes, the ones marked US ARMY underneath are now all GONE !</div></div>

The ones we have in stock say ARMY-SPEC F1.

246461_413304542045398_1444946455_n.jpg

Here is a link to them.
    http://www.cstactical.com/Rifle-Scopes/N...mm-Mil-Dot.html

Mike @ CST

I thought the Mil Spec was only available with the Mil Dot reticle(?) Do yours say Army Spec F1 on the bottom?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris@SportOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are still sitting on a few with the MLR reticle for those interested. </div></div>

I thought the Mil Spec was only available with the Mil Dot reticle(?) Do yours say Army Spec F1 on the bottom?</div></div>

I am pretty sure all the Milspec F-1's are all Mil-Dot.

You just quoted Chris@SportOptics saying he had MLR reticle versions in stock.

They never were mil spec

I designed mil spec equipment for many years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Military_Standard
    If someone wants me to work on something for a satellite or jet fighter, when I read the specification, I will see mil spec 454.
    I not want to bid on the job if that mil spec applies in general. But I will bid if it says "mil spec 454 to the extent specified herein."
    The reason is that one mil spec ties into another and that into another until there are so many complicated requirements that some little aerospace company with 400 employees will never be able to understand or comply.
    I saw Nightforce when they were in Kent, and they have ~ 4 parking spaces. They get stuff built in Asia. They are never going to make mil spec anything.
    My father designed guns and vehicles to sell at Detroit Arsenal, Rock Island Arsenal, and to the Marines.
    He told me that guns are not really mil spec nor commercial, but something in between. Guns would cost too much if they were mil spec.
    I can tell you that those Nightforce scopes were not built to mil specs in the sense that I know them.
    That would be like McDonald's calling one of their hamburgers "kosher".
    A guy could go broke selling $400 mil spec hammers to the government. The paper work would kill you.
    To make a mil spec scope, it would have to be made of mil spec components, with traceability on the materials and certifications. I would have to be manufactured and assembled in facilities that were monitored by the federal government inspectors. I have seen those guys demand an office and a designated parking space. I have heard of them demanding a hooker.
    Because the there would be few scope components [you can get mil spec screws] that were mil spec, non standard drawings would have to be created for most of the components. Those drawings would call out 100% inspection and testing on each component. That would turn a $2 spring into a $200 spring in a hurry.

Years ago, I exchanged a few emails with Gale McMillan about his contract and him selling scopes to the Marines. They were build in Asia, and they were not mil spec.
    But you could say they were built to a specification for a military contract.
    They were not built per the huge catalog of documents called mil specs.

MIL-M-19160C00020im.jpg

Would you sign a contract that had as a requirement, thousands of pages of mil specs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris@SportOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are still sitting on a few with the MLR reticle for those interested. </div></div>

I thought the Mil Spec was only available with the Mil Dot reticle(?) Do yours say Army Spec F1 on the bottom?</div></div>

I am pretty sure all the Milspec F-1's are all Mil-Dot. </div></div>

Nope, they were available in mildot and MLR. We have MLR's left.

nf.jpg

Also, I don't check the threads much so if you have a question, please call me (number is in my sig line) or send me a pm. If it's in the thread, I may not see it for days.

Both Mark and Clark are idiots, comparing Mil Spec for a plane or motor is not he same as a scope and clearly thing have changed, want an example;

He claims this NF is built in Asia when clearly it says they are made in the USA. Heck they just hired more machinist in the ID shop. The kent facility was just R&D, they also have sales & marketing in GA but the shop is in ID. Typical Internet just enough info to be dangerous with a lot of twisted logic.

A sliding scale is not uncommon that certain specs are designated for different products.

Also Marines weren't using scopes built in Asia, Unertl was building them in PA. Not sure what scope he is talking about. Maybe he meant ROC Marines.

Heck, Leupold is the largest Index factory west of the Mississippi with 700 employees, so take that for what it's worth.

I would expect a jet to be of a different spec to a scope. Same with an electrical motor.

Clearly it has been stated the scopes are glued in locked in to the point you can't change anything once you get it.

In today's Commercial of the Shelf (COTS) world, mil-spec has less of an impact on items acquired for the military. Unless a system or item is built from the ground up specifically for DoD use, a jet or tactical radio are good examples, it probably is not going to be built 100% mil-spec. For the scope, air tightness from 10,000 feet to submersible to 3 ATM without leaks or fogging can be a mil-spec.

With all that aside, NF scopes are tough. They say they hand select the glass and glue the bodies together, making these a little tougher. They don't charge any extra for these scopes, so big deal if they call the Army-spec or mil-spec? NF gets used by the mil.

Frank I've been called a lot of things in my 60 years but never an "idiot", at least to my face. To bad the day you can throw it out without standing toe to toe and looking a man in the eye.

MIL-SPEC is a product line identifier as they differ from the NXS in construction and the fact that they were designed to pass and exceed several MIL-STD specifications.

They were designed to meet standards of performance set forth by the Military....hence the reason they were designated MIL-SPEC by us. MIL-SPEC product has historically only been sold to Military and certain LE Agencies.

Nightforce F1 MIL-SPEC scopes are made and assembled in the USA at our factory in Orofino, Idaho as are the compact line.

Yes, our second focal plane line of NXS and Benchrest scopes have roots in Japan, but final assembly and QC is performed 100% at our factory in Orofino, Idaho. Due to US Commerce law, they must say "Made in Japan" although our folks that assemble them would argue otherwise. They sink alot of blood, sweat, and tears into producing a top quality product that sees a warranty return/repair rate of less than .25%.

The inspection labels that you see on every Nightforce scope are there to provide the end user that their scope passed a rigorous 70+ point quality control inspection process before it goes out the door.

MIL-SPEC Scopes see that QC Process before and after the environmental testing process. So essentially, the MIL-SPEC QC process is 140+ point process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank I've been called a lot of things in my 60 years but never an "idiot", at least to my face. To bad the day you can throw it out without standing toe to toe and looking a man in the eye. </div></div>

movies_clint_eastwood_gran_torino_get_off_my_lawn_desktop_1920x1080_wallpaper-157112.jpeg

Well Frank may have to work a little to get eye-to-eye with you, but my moneys on him!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nightforce F1 MIL-SPEC scopes are made and assembled in the USA at our factory in Orofino, Idaho as are the compact line.

They sink alot of blood, sweat, and tears into producing a top quality product that sees a warranty return/repair rate of less than .25%.

</div></div>

This is a key reason I own several. They are tuff and on the high end of the quality scale.

And I think that puts the MIL SPEC discussion to rest. If you make an AR that has been built to mil spec measurements, don't mean shit. If you are a company the military gives you mil spec requirements to build them some scopes, well thats Mil Spec. And the Military buys them, well that be MIL SPEC for sure.

Even if its not the new airplane scopes mil spec with screws made in detroit from back in the day. Typically you have to walk 20 miles one way to get those screws.

Were there any other models that were "Mil-Spec", like the 1-4?

There are several models that have been made as MIL-SPEC.

They may be marked other than MIL-SPEC as well. There are actually some NAV-SPEC models that have made it to the commercial market. But these Army Spec F1 models are the only ones ever sold to the commercial market in this very small quantity as over runs that were not delivered due to the remainder of the contract being fulfilled with Horus H58 reticles.

The Compact MIL-SPEC 1-4x24, 2.5-10x24, and 2.5-10x32 are very prevalent throughout the US Military wiht most notoriety going to NSW.

We have also made the MIL-SPEC 3.5-15x50, 5.5-22x56, and 3.5-15x50F1 as MIL-SPEC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank I've been called a lot of things in my 60 years but never an "idiot", at least to my face. To bad the day you can throw it out without standing toe to toe and looking a man in the eye. </div></div>

It's usually the result of someone passing BS info around and expecting it to be taken as gospel. You guys are calling out NF as not being mil spec.... well, that is clearly a less then intelligent remark as they are clearly fielded to the Army marksmen. How much more clarification do you all need on the subject?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Km22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I got the last MLR one that Euro Optics had
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

I got second to last, the DC415.

Joined and in 8 minutes resurrected an 8 year old thread.

since you have what appears to be a cool scope, we will give you a pass. 🤣

Now mount that on something cool and show a complete pic!!

Edit to add: post pic in appropriate sub-forum. Bolt or semi.

Last edited:
    you should ask for an upside down special mount with a magnification lens and a small led light for proper show off

Reactions: Paralax
    You could mount it up and put mirrors beneth it like guys do their cars at the car shows. :)