• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF nxs 3-15 vs SWFA SS 3-15?

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I'm looking at both and considering both. What are the differences in glass quality, tracking, reticle illum because ss doesn't offer an illuminated reticle, color seperation and is the NF worth the great increase in price?

Though I do not own an SS, I have looked through quite a few on some rifles at the range back home and had a chance to shoot a few rifles with these scopes(not the 3-15, but various other models to include the HD line). For the money they are impressive and do their intended purpose well. However, I do own a Nightforce and can say it is well worth the money. Figure out your intended purpose and see if you and your budget can justify the extra cost. I am currently looking at getting another because they are awesome. I am sure you will not be disappointed with either. Good luck on your decision.

Great increase in price is a understatement. $700 for the SWFA 3-15 FFP, if you can find one. $2300 for the NF-F1 3.5-15 which is their FFP scope.

I haven't been behind the SWFA 3-15 but I'm sure it's a great value.

I've had more than a few NXS's. The F1 is a great scope! I'd rate it superior in every way to the Super Sniper series fixed power scopes which I've owned before.

In the end though it's the indian not the bow. As long as a scope is tracking correctly a guy can still hit stuff with the cheaper scope. Heck this morning I was shooting with my S&B and my BSA mounted on different air rifles one after the other. Just as easy with the BSA. Not as fun to look through, that's for sure.

BTW if anybody has a SWFA 3-15 for sale send me a PM please.

Go with the nf if you plan on doing alot of shooting and keeping it a while I have gone the cheap route before and always regret it and end up switch in. I have that exact scope and love it.

One of the guys I work with picked up the SS 3-15 and its a nice scope and will serve the average shooter (average is the guy who shoots 100-200 rounds a year, mostly prone, only in nice weather and at ranges of 50-300) well. IF you desire to up your game, perhaps tactical matches or if you like to shoot in the 1000's of rounds per year perhaps adding movers, low light shooting etc. then the NF is clearly the best option BUT for twice the price. There is no harm in being a recreational shooter and I laugh every time I go to a range and see a guy with a $3500 scope and $4500 custom build who shoots prone from the 100 six or seven times a year and spends more time showing off his gear. You can get away with a stock Savage or Howa 1500 and some nice glass like the SS and be just fine. So decide where you are and where you realistically think you can go and stay in that price bracket.

Sully

This is not even a fair comparison. If it doesn't hurt your pocketbook or even if it does a little buy the Nightforce.

Chris R.

Lol, that does some it up as far as the comparison is concerned.

Sully

Well Hell, it's like comparing a Ford Probe GT to a Ford GT and saying they will both get you around the track. Believe me I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the SWFA but in this world you do get what you pay for. That's just my .02

Chris R.

Chris I agree 100% and that is why on our SWAT team optics selection is limited to NF, USO, Premier, March or S&B with the entire sniper section now running NF. I would not let one of my guys on the range with less BUT my wife is a casual shooter and does very well with the Vortex PST. She shoots weekly, handgun, M4 and shotgun and her gear is the best BUT she hits the range with us perhaps 5-6 times a year. She has a Howa 1500 with XLR chassis and the PST. Perfect for her application and no reason to go into the $2200 range and get her the ATACR. She does no stalks with us, or climbing in and out of Bear Cats or doing the LRC or O-course so we set the budget and she does well within her limits. She does not need a GT because she does not street race BUT if she did... that is my point. I see many custom builds or Premier and USO's on this site with "safe queen" or "only made it to the range once..." that it is clear to me people outspend for the intended application. But hell, I have picked up some great gear at very good buys here so its all good.

Sully

I'd hold off a bit for the Vortex HS-T 4-16. Not ffp, but if your shooting tiny targets at 500+ the SFP will serve you better, unless you range with it. I am hoping to do a side by side Evaluation of the new 4-16 HST compared to other optics in SFP like the 3-15 NXS, and Leupy Mk4. I've looked through all, and honestly I can not tell a difference between the Vortex and NF. I know the NF can take a beating, Bob Beck proved this on Extreme Outer Limits TV show, but I'd like to see what the Vortex can stand up to as well. I have a Viper 6.5-20, that's not been mounted yet, but depending on this comparison it will LMK what to put on a few of my custom rigs. I still have my Beanland 260 from a cpl weeks ago, and have yet to mt an optic, much less put a rd down range. I wanna do it right the 1st time.

Great increase in price is a understatement. $700 for the SWFA 3-15 FFP, if you can find one. $2300 for the NF-F1 3.5-15 which is their FFP scope.

I haven't been behind the SWFA 3-15 but I'm sure it's a great value.

I've had more than a few NXS's. The F1 is a great scope! I'd rate it superior in every way to the Super Sniper series fixed power scopes which I've owned before.

In the end though it's the indian not the bow. As long as a scope is tracking correctly a guy can still hit stuff with the cheaper scope. Heck this morning I was shooting with my S&B and my BSA mounted on different air rifles one after the other. Just as easy with the BSA. Not as fun to look through, that's for sure.

BTW if anybody has a SWFA 3-15 for sale send me a PM please.

I defiantly agree with you and that I honestly don't know if I'm willing to pay that much for a scope. And I think the SWFA would be a good scope for the money! If you get one definitely let me know of the quality of the system. And also do you think there is much difference in quality in the SWFA and vortex viper ffp line?

One of the guys I work with picked up the SS 3-15 and its a nice scope and will serve the average shooter (average is the guy who shoots 100-200 rounds a year, mostly prone, only in nice weather and at ranges of 50-300) well. IF you desire to up your game, perhaps tactical matches or if you like to shoot in the 1000's of rounds per year perhaps adding movers, low light shooting etc. then the NF is clearly the best option BUT for twice the price. There is no harm in being a recreational shooter and I laugh every time I go to a range and see a guy with a $3500 scope and $4500 custom build who shoots prone from the 100 six or seven times a year and spends more time showing off his gear. You can get away with a stock Savage or Howa 1500 and some nice glass like the SS and be just fine. So decide where you are and where you realistically think you can go and stay in that price bracket.

Sully
I really want to start doing tactical matches but I'm debating on wether or not the extra money would be better spent on a NF or reloading components to practice more with. I'm on a good day with my hand as a rear rest I'm a .75-.5 moa shooter so idk which way to go. What are your thoughts?

First on the SS and Vortex comparison, have the 5-20 and wife has the 4-16 PST and between those two the SS runs away in quality, glass etc. and I have played with the SS 3-15 side by side with the PST and that is not as dramatic a difference, if any. Both are good solid scopes with lots of features so look at what you like and what reticle you feel you can use best and go for it. As far as tactical matches and scopes I would say bump up to the NF for sure otherwise you may find yourself picking one up down the road and selling off what you get now in the classifieds. Also for matches comes the moa/mil question and what you prefer. I am fine with sfp and moa BUT mil/sfp is better for others it is a deal breaker. You can't go wrong with the F1 and I see good prices for used. I would not hesitate on a used NF and have a few myself and no problem with the CS. Bought one that had a small scratch on the objective lense and was repaired with no problems for the cast of shipping. Had it out and back in less then 10 days.

Sully

I really want to start doing tactical matches but I'm debating on wether or not the extra money would be better spent on a NF or reloading components to practice more with. I'm on a good day with my hand as a rear rest I'm a .75-.5 moa shooter so idk which way to go. What are your thoughts?

Assuming you are talking about a NF F1, I would personally do a Bushnell ERS and reloading components over a New F1.

Especially if match's are a goal.

Assuming you are talking about a NF F1, I would personally do a Bushnell ERS and reloading components over a New F1.

What are the advantages of the bushnell over the SWFA? And what is the price difference?
And I currently have a falcon menace 4-14x44 so how much of a difference will I see between glass, clarity, and tracking of the falcon menace and bushnell?(I bought the scope a year ago just to get into long range shooting as a beginner scope)

Last edited:
What are the advantages of the bushnell over the SWFA? And what is the price difference?
And I currently have a falcon menace 4-14x44 so how much of a difference will I see between glass, clarity, and tracking of the falcon menace and bushnell?(I bought the scope a year ago just to get into long range shooting as a beginner scope)

-more mag
-better reticle
-10 mil turrets w/zero stop

They are listed for $1950 or so, but call around to some Hide vendors for the best price.

No Illumination, as I said call around and ask for the Hide price. There is one for sale now in the Optics for sale section pg3 for $1600...

What do you think of the vortex viper? I've heard mixed reviews and feelings about it. But it does have an illuminated reticle and a pretty good mag range got 800-900$ range

What do you think of the vortex viper? I've heard mixed reviews and feelings about it. But it does have an illuminated reticle and a pretty good mag range got 800-900$ range

I don't have any personal experience with the PST. Sorry.

Practice will almost always prove to be better for your shooting than better gear. Plus reloading is fun.

I completely agree. But under the stipulation of the gear being able to repeatably get the job done!

Which the SS 3-15x42 is easily capable of. The SS line of scopes have a long history of being reliable, rugged, and able to track after repeated use after use.

The only advantage I see to the Nightforce is the slightly better glass quality - the illumination is overkill and you'll probably never use it.

To me, the Nightforce (F1) isn't worth an extra $1,500 over the SWFA SS 3-15x42. The SS is every bit as reliable as the Nightforce - save some money and use the extra cash on ammo and use the extra trigger time to practice becoming a better marksman.

Not bashing the Nightforce of course - they're fantastic scopes - they're just not $1,500 more fantastic...

The SS 3-15x42 is a killer deal.

Which the SS 3-15x42 is easily capable of. The SS line of scopes have a long history of being reliable, rugged, and able to track after repeated use after use.

The only advantage I see to the Nightforce is the slightly better glass quality - the illumination is overkill and you'll probably never use it.

To me, the Nightforce (F1) isn't worth an extra $1,500 over the SWFA SS 3-15x42. The SS is every bit as reliable as the Nightforce - save some money and use the extra cash on ammo and use the extra trigger time to practice becoming a better marksman.

Not bashing the Nightforce of course - they're fantastic scopes - they're just not $1,500 more fantastic...

The SS 3-15x42 is a killer deal.
It really is and the only reason I was considering an illuminated reticle was for the fact of this is doubling as a hunting rifle.

Has anyone had any experience with the vortex viper? I've heard complaints or rather concerns about durability and glass quality.
And what glass quality would it have comparatively to the SWFA?

Has anyone had any experience with the vortex viper? I've heard complaints or rather concerns about durability and glass quality.
And what glass quality would it have comparatively to the SWFA?

It should be about the same optically, but you get more features(ZS, Illum). I have one on my 700 and love it. I hunt with it as well. Viper PST that is.

+1. IMHO, the Bushnell ERS is a much better value. I had the NF F1. Still have 2 Bushnell ERS with G2DMR Reticle (one of the best reticles available from any manufacturer for shooting competition. Although I'm fairly new on the hide, I've been at this for a long time. I've used almost every tactical and target scopes available from mid-tier to upper-tier. Started with Leupold and Nightforce. I currently own and use regularly S&B PMII, Premier Heritage, March FX 5-40x56 FFP, and Hensoldt. Owned and sold US Optics, Nightforce, Leupold, and Steiner. Although my all time favorite is S&B PMII, I do use and enjoy every scope I currently own. In particular re: the ERS vs the SWFA 3-15 and NF F1, to me the ERS has better optics (I find it to be much brighter than the NF in low light), it is very compact, locking turrets (advantage to some but not me), and one of the best reticles (G2DMR) for tactical comps. Although the ERS is priced much lower than my other optics, I do not feel at a disadvantage while running the Bushnell.

Check out the equipment list of PRS competitors. You will find that some of the very best shooters are using the ERS. George Gardner/GA Precision sponsored shooters are using the Bushnell in comps. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the NF or the SWFA. I do believe that the Bushnell ERS is one of the best bargains going right now. MSRP is around $2,000 but check around on her with some of the vendors and I would bet that you could pick one up for quite a bit less.

Josh

I've been reading posts and reviews for months and for every love of one brand/scope you can easily find another for some other. If the budget can handle one major scope buy but not several and you fear that old saying of buying cheap(-er but not cheap) or buying twice, what do you do? But then, there's the counter argument raised here about overbuying more than you need. All which leaves me unable to choose...sigh. Maybe it's a case of having to start with a decent scope just so you can appreciate something really nice later? All I know is my 9x (my highest power scope so far) is not getting the job done once I switched from semi to bolt.

I have a feeling there are quite a few in this same state of mind.

I've been reading posts and reviews for months and for every love of one brand/scope you can easily find another for some other. If the budget can handle one major scope buy but not several and you fear that old saying of buying cheap(-er but not cheap) or buying twice, what do you do? But then, there's the counter argument raised here about overbuying more than you need. All which leaves me unable to choose...sigh. Maybe it's a case of having to start with a decent scope just so you can appreciate something really nice later? All I know is my 9x (my highest power scope so far) is not getting the job done once I switched from semi to bolt.

I have a feeling there are quite a few in this same state of mind.

I am fairly new to all of this too. I came here and asked these people for advice and I got tons of it. What I learned is that you want to buy what your budget can realistically afford but give you some room to grow into it as well. As you get better you will want to shoot farther. As you shoot farther you will need to change your set up from time to time. In the end, do what your pocket book can afford. I personally went with the SWFA SS 3-15x42 and I do not regret it at all. It tracks well. Just as good of glass if not better than my buddies Luepold. Figure out what your goals are, what your budget is, and see what scopes are left in the bunch.

I own an Swfa 10x42 and the glass that you get for the price is amazing. My friend owns a NXS and yes it's amazing and also 5 times the price. Both are good choices for any shooter! Also saying that an swfa ss scope is for a 100-200 rounds a year shooter is ridiculous thing to say I have met many people with USO and NXS scopes and they are all for the swfa.

Before I purchased my swfa I read an article about why the scope is so cheap. The reason for the cost being so cheap is because they do not distribute them to retailers. The only way to purchase an swfa ss scope is through them which cuts out the middle man prices. The article quoted that an swfa ss 10x42 would cost $800 if they were sold through retailers.

Either way both are incredible scopes and both will do well in any scenario. I hope to upgrade to the 3-15 in the future

Here is the article. Good info about the 10x42

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Rifle Scope

I defiantly agree with you and that I honestly don't know if I'm willing to pay that much for a scope. And I think the SWFA would be a good scope for the money! If you get one definitely let me know of the quality of the system. And also do you think there is much difference in quality in the SWFA and vortex viper ffp line?

OP, What did you end up with anyway?

I bought two of the SWFA 3-15's since this thread started. I sold one of them. I'll stick by my original statements concerning the NF and SWFA but add a few more.

Both of the 3-15's tracked well. The glass is okay, definitely not as good as the F1, same with everything else about the scope-okay, nothing really to complain about and one thing I really like about it which is why I kept one of them, that's the 6M parallax. You guys are going to laugh but the scope makes a great airgun scope! All winter I practiced offhand in my shop with it. I had also mounted it on a few of my centerfires and 22's as well with wins in both types of matches.

Unfortunately$$$$ or fortunately(smile), I've ended liking S&B's a little too much. Really awesome optics!!!

-more mag
-better reticle
-10 mil turrets w/zero stop

They are listed for $1950 or so, but call around to some Hide vendors for the best price.

I own a Bushy XRS and have owned 3 SSHD 5-20's. That SSHD glass smokes the Bushnell glass, not even close, unfortunately.

I know glass clarity is a rather subjective issue due to everyone's eyesight being different, but with my eyes, that SSHD glass beats out the Bushnell Elite Tac scopes, the Razor, and NF glass. Trust me, I want the scopes I own to have better glass, but it appears SWFA puts some secret squirrel shit in the glass that makes it the heat.

The only reason I no longer own them is due to the mil quad reticle. Although I like it, I can make better use of the GAP/EBR 2B-type reticles. Unfortunately, I emailed SWFA and asked if they would develop a similar reticle for the SSHD line, but the response indicated they had no plans to do that...sucks.