• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF NXS compared to Vortex AMG

athanasios23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
I have been really looking to get my hands on a Vortex AMG. I know they are back ordered and may take a while to get if I don't grab one on the secondary market. My question is would I be giving up a lot by getting a NXS 5.5-22x50 HS Zero Stop MIL-R. I have had the NXS before and really like it but sold it as I wanted all my scopes to be in mils. I recently purchased a NXS compact with the MIL-R reticle w/ mil adjustments. My thinking was it would be great to have a heavy fun to shoot gun at the range that has the same reticle and adjustments as my hunting rifle. Let me really learn the reticle

And yes I would love to buy both but things are changing and at this point in my life and I need to start saving for future goals. I would like to purchase a home, invest for my future and take some well needed vacations and hunting trips. So this will most likely be my last expensive scope purchase for a long time. I'm trying to keep it semi reasonable or I would be buying the Minox ZP5.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Tommy

What are you putting it on and what are you using it for? If anything other than benchrest or f class type competition, I would steer you away from the NXS since it's second focal plane.

For the type of shooting I do, I would not even consider a SFP scope.

If I was comparing an AMG to a Nightforce it would be to a Nightforce ATACR F1 and it comes in the Mil-r. Good luck.

I just got my AMG a couple weeks ago and have been comparing it side by side with my two NXS one with a 56mm obj and the other with a 50, The obvious has already been stated NXS = SFP. Optical performance is better in the AMG as far as contrast, but I find it easier to focus my NXS at higher magnification. I commonly see this when comparing SFP to FFP. I'm not an FFP snob, I personally couldn't care less about which focal plane is on the scope I'm using, I just hit targets with what I have in my hands at the time. I think both scopes are constructed with extreme attention to detail with excellent quality. Weightwise, 29 oz AMG , vs. 31 or 32 oz NXS = no difference to me.

I'd say determine whether you prefer FFP or SFP. If you can live with SFP, get a NXS, they're available. If you absolutely need FFP and you don't mind waiting for an AMG, then by all means get one, it's an extremely high quality scope.

Last edited:
I have both scopes and it's kind of an apples and oranges deal. AMG has better glass, little more mag, FFP, I like the reticle better but really not a deal breaker, costs more. The NF is a nice scope I've used for F-class and works well for that discipline. If this is your last scope for a while I'd get the AMG, also be easier to sell should you need to.

I bought a AMG a few months ago and put it on my 308, replacing a NF. Shooting steel from 750-1300 and for some reason had degraded performance with the AMG. Took the AMG off, ATACR back on and performance ramped up again. Hmmmm, interesting. So now put the AMG on a new 300 WM precision rifle. Rifle shot good but not great as another 300 WM by same maker had in the past. AMG off, and moved the night force from my 308 to the 300 WM. Rifle now shoots much better with the NF. The AMG tight eyebox did give significantly more eye fatigue.

I do not know how to sort this out other than the AMG just doesnt work for me and NF does. So the ATACR stays on the 300 WM and a NXS is coming for the 308. End of story.

(Also interesting is the new SH site busted me from Corporal with about 60 posts to Private with one post????)

Last edited:
FFP is nice , but not a requirement in my opinion. How the hell did we ever hit anything in the past before FFP was common ?

I also will say image clarity is better for me with my NXS scopes than my AMG. I traded a guy my GenII for the AMG and wasn't really blown away I guys. Shooting it side by side with the NXS scopes I found them to be easier to get behind and the mirage was a lot less prominent. I'm not sure what caused this but it was a lot easier to see the target with the NXS. I have them both set up to match my eye the best also. The AMG is on my prs type comp gun so ffp was one of the things I was looking for though.

I agree I think clarity for me is better with the NF. Eyestrain when really trying to shoot tight 100 yd groups was an real problem, most likely because of my old eyes. Further 22X is the sweet spot for me shooting from 600 to 1600 yds.

Many years ago the folks in Wyoming shooting at Dave Lauck's site and doing the Carlos Hathcock Shoot, 500 yd egg shoot and the 1 mile shoot worked out that 22 X was about the perfect amt of magnification for long distance. So its nice, but perhaps by design, that 22X is the top end of the NXS. My AMG will be going up on the Hide PX in a week or two.

Last edited:
For what it is, the 5.5-22/56 is the best scope for the money. Paid $1750 brand new. Good glass. Simple design. Very repeatable

My nightforce scopes were much clearer than the AMG. I owned an AMG for like 1 week before i sold it, then the guy who bought it off me from here, sold it 3 days later (he was also a NF shooter) - says a lot INHO.

IMHO the AMG is way more scope than the NXS. First of all it is a FFP , the NXS glass is not as good as the AMG, turrets in the AMG are better with locking system and infinite zero, weight, reticle and illumination are better on the AMG. Its like comparing A MB 550 (AMG) with a BMW 5 series (NXS). They are not in the same league. You can't compare them. ATCAR F1 is another story, ATCAR is a the BMW 7 series and is a very good competitor to the AMG (if not better)

Last edited:
Interesting comments here. I wonder what was causing these AMGs to not compare favorably? I took the Vortex caps off mine as I felt they occluded too much lense area.

Only wacky thing about my AMG and the older NSX I have to be mindful about is the image might be sharp and clear but parallax might still be there. The NSX was lacking the features but clear and easy to get behind. I have used the AMG and my new to me but older NSX2.5X10 behind my PVS30 and the SFP NSX is easier to use because I only focus the PVS. I am still messing around with the AMG, its a good scope and I like everything so far.

Depending on how much mag you need, and if you care about focal plane, I have a NXS 3.5-15 F1. first focal plane nxs and I love it. I've also been interested in the AMG since they were first debuted but now that I'm seeing people's comparison of it to what I have, I may be less inclined to purchase an AMG. If it's a hunting scope, you don't need FFP and the nxs will be plenty of scope for you and you can keep some coin in your pocket

I commonly see this when comparing SFP to FFP. I'm not an FFP snob, I personally couldn't care less about which focal plane is on the scope I'm using, I just hit targets with what I have in my hands at the time. I think both scopes are constructed with extreme attention to detail with excellent quality. Weightwise, 29 oz AMG , vs. 31 or 32 oz NXS = no difference to me.

I'd say determine whether you prefer FFP or SFP. If you can live with SFP, get a NXS, they're available. If you absolutely need FFP and you don't mind waiting for an AMG, then by all means get one, it's an extremely high quality scope.

Totally agree regarding SFP vs FFP! I have both (NXS and Razor HD II) and it just doesn't matter to me. Shoot with them both well. Amazing thing how we all used SFP scopes for years and managed to get by!

I own lots of NF scopes and i love them. Have used a razor gen 1 quite a bit and the two dont even compare in my opinion. The NF are night and day better. But this is just the gen 1 and i have never looked through the gen 2 or amg. The NF is as good of scope as ill probably ever need. I hated the ffp reticle in the razor gen 1 also. Reticle was way too small on 5x and way too big and thick on 20x. The first and last ffp scope i will ever have.

To me, the AMG is an amazing scope. Glass Is superb. I don't have any complaints about it. I think the nightforce is great too. However, it's harder for me to focus with the nightforce. Not sure why, but it is. I have to agree with the one poster above. The AMG should really be compared with the ATACR.

Interesting comments here. I wonder what was causing these AMGs to not compare favorably? I took the Vortex caps off mine as I felt they occluded too much lense area.

Its the same as in most industries, $ versus features - its not a linear graph so folks rationalized in their heads because they are getting more than 1/2 the value at 1/2 the price its amazing. Sorry - the AMG is like looking through a coke bottle compared to high end glass - plain and simple. Also just because you can get your honda to go 200 miles an hr, doesnt make it a ferrari - there are many other things that make it a ferrari. I remember going on a guided hunt a few years ago and the guide hands me his Vortex binos and says - these are amazing , take a look. I really didnt want to tell him the image was realtively crap, but i handed him the swaro - it killed the conversation.

I own 4 Premiers amongst other quality scopes, a Kowa TSN Prominar, and Swaro ELs and Saying the AMG is like looking through a coke can is a bit exaggerated. It's a solid scope that I'm saving some weight with on my hunting rig. I have a Minox coming next week. Looking forward to comparing it to my Premiers and the AMG.

Its the same as in most industries, $ versus features - its not a linear graph so folks rationalized in their heads because they are getting more than 1/2 the value at 1/2 the price its amazing. Sorry - the AMG is like looking through a coke bottle compared to high end glass - plain and simple. Also just because you can get your honda to go 200 miles an hr, doesnt make it a ferrari - there are many other things that make it a ferrari. I remember going on a guided hunt a few years ago and the guide hands me his Vortex binos and says - these are amazing , take a look. I really didnt want to tell him the image was realtively crap, but i handed him the swaro - it killed the conversation.

Sorry but that is BS. I have had many high end optics and the AMG glass is right there with them.

. Sorry - the AMG is like looking through a coke bottle compared to high end glass - plain and simple. Also just because you can get your honda to go 200 miles an hr, doesnt make it a ferrari .

Ok let's not exaggerate here, I've got an AMG sitting next to a TT525, and a 5-20US and while there are some differences between the 3, the AMG is no slouch. It was better than my razor gen 2's, it was better than my march 3-24x52, it was better than my 4-16 ATACR f1. And there's not a huge difference between it and the 5-20US. Yes it isn't as good as the TT but nothing else is.
However, to say it's a coke bottle, you must've not had a good sample or something.
The AMG is definitely not a Honda.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

I have two AMGs and had the opportunity to compare them with some high end scopes like Swarosvki, S&B, Kahles, NF ATACR and Razor G2 and I can tell you that by any means it's like looking through a coke bottle. IMHO the AMG is a heck of a scope, even Frank catalogued it as one of the best scopes in its price range.

Last edited:
I've been a Vortex fanboy for a while, but I don't own a Gen 2. I've shot one side by side to the AMG I owned, and for steel and comps - Gen 2 would have been my choice easily.

Had I been putting the AMG on a hunting rifle, I may have been satisfied with it, but I couldn't get over the "eye box". I sold the AMG and went with an ATACR F1 instead.

The glass on the AMG was great, but I had a hard time staying behind the scope inside the eye box when trying to shoot quickly. My eye strain was fairly high even when shooting slowly, and I wasn't happy with it overall.

Considered the Gen 2, but it was 10oz heavier than the ATACR. NF reticle almost made me overlook the weight difference, because I do really like Vortex reticles, but then the MIL-C reticle came into my life and it's a perfect fit.

Sorry - the AMG is like looking through a coke bottle compared to high end glass - plain and simple.

To make a statement about any top tier glass like that shows one of two things... #1- Extreme Bias or #2- Opinion based on non-factual data... Everything in that bracket (2500-3000) is very comparable... Subtle differences may suite some of us better than others, but functionally there are no slouches... Im talking about ATACR-F1, AMG, PMII Gen2, Minox, 624i all fantastic performers in their own right

Last edited: