• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF NXS vs BR?

Rolf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
I know the difference on paper between these two but what differs between them in real life? Is there a big difference when it comes to light transmission??
I`m looking for something that will work both for LR paper punching and for still hunting in really poor light.
If you have any other suggestions apart from these two I would be very grateful because my head is really starting to hurt now.

//Rolf

Re: NF NXS vs BR?

I never noticed a difference between them regarding light transmission.

I will say this, the BR only comes in 8-32 and 12-42. Both of which are way to high to hunt with.

I would also not suggest a BR model for hunting simply due to how it mounts on a rifle. You have to have super high rings to get it to clear the barrel because the OBJ is HUGE. High rings in turn put the scope way up in the air. Not a problem for BR shooters who shoot using the "free recoil" method and/or try to avoid as much contact with the rifle as possible. It is a big problem for someone looking to get a good cheek weld.

Lots of guys ask this question, simply because the BR is more affordable. Bottom line, its a scope designed for benchrest shooting, not hunting. Sure it will bolt up to a rifle and you can hunt with it, but that is not its designed purpose.

If you want a NF, get a 3-15 or 5-22 NSX. Thats plenty of power to shoot a long ways, and still has the low end that is more appropriate for hunting.

Additionally, the BR versions have less elevation/windage adjustment available. I don't have the number off the top of my head, the but seem to remember the NXS has nearly twice the elevation/Windage compared to the BR versions.
Cheers,
cc

Actually they are very close to the same, when comparing similar models. A 8-32 BR has 50 MOA Elevation and 50 MOA Windage while a 8-32 NSX has 65 MOA Elevation and 45 MOA windage.

Likewise on the 12-42 BR, it only has 40 MOA of Elevation and 40 MOA of windage while the 12-42 NSX only has 45 MOA of Elevation and 35 MOA windage.

Neither scope really has that much adjustment. You really have to bring the magnification down to get the additional adjustment. The 5.5-22 has 100 MOA of elevation and 60 MOA of windage.

My apologies, I was confusing things with the 5.5-22 version
Cheers,
cc

there are a few differences. the benchrest scopes have 1/8 inch clicks and nxs are 1/4 inch. the benchrest sonly come in higher magnification 8-32 and 12-42. the illumination system on the benchrest is adjustable on the fly. the nxs illumination can be adjusted, but you have to remove a cap and turn a small screw to change it, in the field you just pull out the parallax cap for a constant illumination setting. this is due to military specs on the nxs. the nxs scopes also can be had with zero stop, and cover the entire range of magnification settings. the turrets can also be turned by fatigued hands, they are wider than the bench rest and protrusions on the windage and elevation

Thanks for helping me out.
I have an adjustable cheek rest on this rifle so I think the cheek contact will be fine.
Regarding the magnification for hunting, I live in Sweden and the way we hunt is perhaps a bit different from the way you guys are used to? The range is normally 50 yards or longer and always on animals standing still and sometimes in very poor light. I used to hunt with a Burris 6-24 a couple of years ago and had it set to x12 most of the time. No problems.
If we set the NF aside, which other brand would you recommend? And if your suggestion is a bit cheaper I wouldn`t complain.
Again, thanks for taking the time.

//Rolf

I belive the BR is a tiny bit more clear than the nxs. If I recall, the BR has one less lense than the nxs and allows just a bit better light transfer. However, you cannot beat the durability of the nxs and is still very clear (is very hard to tell the difference in clearity from the BR). Please correct me if I am wrong on the BR have one less lens.

Short update.
I`ve found a 5,5-22,5 NSX for a very! good price but there is one major minus and that`s the reticle. I think it`s called CF-3. An ultra thin cross with an even smaller dot.
Pretty useless for my needs but how about installing my favourite, the NP2-DD? I love this one but haven`t got a clue about the price for the job?
One last Q, I`ve a smashed NF scope, my fault
blush.gif
, with this reticle. Do you know if it`s possible to remove the reticle from the broken one and install it in the new one? Would it be worth the extra job?

//Rolf

The NP2DD is not a good or even mediocre hunting reticle, IMO. It is designed for 1000yd competitions with minimal reticle on the target. The lower half of the FOV is open so that the shooter can see his/her windflags and get a good read on mirage. It has no hold overs for windage and only one for elevation. If you have the time to use your ranging device and figure out a distance and dial it, its not so bad, but that is not how I've found myself hunting. Shots are typically placed faster than would allow for the use of a ranging device and running numbers.

There is no CF3 but there is a CH3 which is also a target/benchrest reticle. It is a fine cross hair. Also not conducive to hunting because it is very easy to loose sight of the reticle in a low light situation, especially where there is a busy backdrop such as woods, trees, shrubs, etc. That can be compensated for with illumination, to an extent.

I have no idea what the cost of changing a reticle would be or if they do it. I'm sure that there is someone here that can answer that for you.

EDIT: just noticed the answer above:
They can change the reticle. I dont know if they would use your reticle from the smashed scope though. The last I remember, it was $200-250 for a Second Focal Plane, but it may have changed.