• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF reticle hard to see

Meat Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2011
SE TN
I just bought a new Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50 with the NP-R2 reticle. I'm new to the precision rifle scope arena so I admittedly do not know if I actually have a problem. I mounted the scope and boresighted it. Focused the reticle and took it to the range. The day I went to the range was quite sunny and I had to really struggle to see the reticle while shooting at a target at 100 yards. I turned the paralax adjustment ten ways to Sunday and finally got it to where I could see the reticle halfway decent. The adjustment knob was nearly on the infinity mark. I know the reticle needs to be fine for precise shots but dang this thing is hard to see. Is this normal?

Re: NF reticle hard to see

Sounds like you did not focus the reticle properly. Go back and redo this process.

I focus mine by setting it up at highest power with the parallax setting at infinity. Then look at something like a bright white wall or the bright blue sky. Only look through your optic a couple of seconds at a time or your eyes will self focus. Adjust the ocular until the reticle is in focus. Be patient with this process, again take short pauses from looking through the optic.

Apparently my NP-R2 is the same as yours. I posted this a while back:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...311#Post2528311

The NP-R1 in my 5.5-22 is entirely different. It's dark and very easy to see. It was that way right out of the box. I did a very minor ocular adjustment to suit my vision and it was good to go.
I've adjusted the R2 reticle according to everybody's suggestions, and I've only seen a small improvement.

if it makes you feel any better i have the exact issue with nxs scopes. i have owned over ten of them but finally had to let them all go because sometimes i would damn near lose the reticle all together.

do you by chance wear contacts/ have stigmatism? that i think is my issue. I know it taught me i am very parralax sensitive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you did not focus the reticle properly. Go back and redo this process.

I focus mine by setting it up at highest power with the parallax setting at infinity. Then look at something like a bright white wall or the bright blue sky. Only look through your optic a couple of seconds at a time or your eyes will self focus. Adjust the ocular until the reticle is in focus. Be patient with this process, again take short pauses from looking through the optic. </div></div>

This is more or less the same way that I set mine up. It seems like this question is coming up often lately. Someone recently had the ring that holds the eyepiece in place work lose and it made it difficult to focus the reticle. As a last resort, I would have your eyes checked also. I have been undergoing non-surgical vision correction using hard contact lenses and as my eyes fatigue towards the end of the day, the reticle is not as crisp. With that said, I would however rule out all of the possible mechanical possibilities. When the diopter is adjusted properly, I don't have any problem seeing the reticle in any light. YMMV.

I am having a similar issue with my np-r2. I want to love it and learn to use it, but it is unlike any reticle I have used.

Reticle is also invisible on a black background shoot n-c target at 100yds. This could be because this is my first "precision" reticle and also being a dumbass using a black background target.

So, am I the dumbass for doing it that way? Also it was bright out and could not use ill.

If you need glasses at all the NF reticules are fuzzy and sometimes disappear.
I had this same problem and went and got my eyes checked and I needed a light prescription. You also have to focus the reticule just perfect.

I'd scrap the NPR2 and take it to NF to change out the reticle, personally. I'm sure they'd see to it that you get the optical quality you'd expect.

At 100 yds with the NPR1 5.5-22 it is in perfect focus when you pass the 9th line on the parallax - almost 50% of max. I kinda wish they had some kind of scale/ figures on the markings actually!

I focused the reticle by the NF instructions. I was not totally pleased with the results even then. I do where glasses for reading. As a matter of fact they are bifocals. I have never had any trouble seeing reticles with any other scope and I have had many. The target I was shooting at had a white background with orange diamonds so it is definitely not the target. I will try to get the reticle focused better and see what happens then. I hate to say it but right this moment I am not impressed with this $1500 scope.

This sounds like a similar problem that I had with one of my nxs. It was not a problem with the scope itself, I was simply not adjusting it correctly. Once the reticle on NF scopes is adjusted properly they work like a dream.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds like a similar problem that I had with one of my nxs. It was not a problem with the scope itself, I was simply not adjusting it correctly. Once the reticle on NF scopes is adjusted properly they work like a dream. </div></div>

I am surely holding out hope that this be the case with my scope. I really do want to love this thing like 99% of the folks who own them do.

In some conditions, the reticle goes Bye bye at around 100 yards in All my NF scopes.... it's a Very fine reticle made for Long Range. When used at 300 + they are Perfect, and is what they are made for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In some conditions, the reticle goes Bye bye at around 100 yards in All my NF scopes.... it's a Very fine reticle made for Long Range. When used at 300 + they are Perfect, and is what they are made for. </div></div>

Ace, if I make it to the KY shoot in June I'll bring both of mine and you can see the difference.

are you guys who are having issues with seeing the reticle running a first focal plane scope?

I'm not having any issues seeing my SFP NPR2 at all, but it doesnt change size when i change magnification either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In some conditions, the reticle goes Bye bye at around 100 yards in All my NF scopes.... it's a Very fine reticle made for Long Range. When used at 300 + they are Perfect, and is what they are made for. </div></div>

I will not say whether this is true or not but nowhere in the NF owner's manual nor anywhere on their website does Nightforce say that their scopes are "long range only"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you guys who are having issues with seeing the reticle running a first focal plane scope?

I'm not having any issues seeing my SFP NPR2 at all, but it doesnt change size when i change magnification either. </div></div>

My scope is SFP

Nope, mine is a second focal plane version.

For closer shots, you may try turning down the power, especially on a SFP scope. This way the reticle will be larger in comparison to the target.

I just bought a new Bushnell Elite 3-12x44 FFP and am having a similar problem. The reticle is crisp at first but then turns fuzzy for a second and then back to crisp. It does it over and over like its blinking. I have re-adjusted the reticle focus per the instructions I've seen posted here(high power, parallax set to inf. dont look for more than a few seconds at a time). Hopefully this will fix it but I won't know for sure until I can get back out to the range. Any other ideas are welcome...

Have the same problem on very sunny days here in Nevada.You just have to get used to focusing on reticle first and then the target, beleive it or not it only takes a micro second once you have made it a habit.

Are these fine reticles really not useful at 100yds?

This is by far the most I have ever spent on optics, and now the thought of taking a hit on it to switch to something else is not setting well with me.

I am very worried about using mine for deer hunting at this point being that a lot of my shots will be in the 75-125 yd range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these fine reticles really not useful at 100yds?

This is by far the most I have ever spent on optics, and now the thought of taking a hit on it to switch to something else is not setting well with me.

I am very worried about using mine for deer hunting at this point being that a lot of my shots will be in the 75-125 yd range. </div></div>
Just turn down the mag... Especially on a deer sized target at 75-100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having a similar issue with my np-r2. I want to love it and learn to use it, but it is unlike any reticle I have used.

Reticle is also invisible on a black background shoot n-c target at 100yds. This could be because this is my first "precision" reticle and also being a dumbass using a black background target.

So, am I the dumbass for doing it that way? Also it was bright out and could not use ill.</div></div>

Get yourself some white paper targets (most available for free downloads online) for your 100 yd shooting. I dont realy feel a need for shoot-n-c until atleast 300yds. But yes at 100 the black background targets are a pain for thin reticles.

Well guys thanks to a couple of y'all my problem is solved. I only thought I had the reticle focused properly. After reading a few replies on this thread I went back and focused the reticle again and again until I got it right. Went to the range today in very bright sun and can see my reticle no matter what I'm looking at. Black or white or orange targets. No problem from 50 yds to 200. I reckon the Nightforce has a home now.
Many thanks

got the same issue with mine << mlr >>

As others have mentioned, you will lose the reticle clarity if you have the magnification set at a high level at too close a range or if you don't take the time to adjust the reticle clarity before going to the range. My NXS had NPR2 reticle originally. I sent it to NF and Changed to MLR with Mil turrets. I can see it better at close range now.