• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

NF scopes - Made in USA or Made in Japan?

Re: NF scopes - Made in USA or Made in Japan?

There are different versions...

The F1, 1-4X are Made in USA

The other NXS series are Made in Japan... more and more they are moving them to USA...

I think the 2.5-10X is also moving to USA, and the new models yet to be released is 100% USA.

2.5-10 Is made in the USA as well as the others that Lowlight listed. The Made in the USA ones are imprinted right on top in front of the elevation.

Got it, thanks. My buddie just bought a new 3.5-15 x 50mm ZS and I saw the "Made in Japan" and told him I thought all NF were made in USA. He looked very concerned as he just paid $1700 for it! I better call him and tell he didn't spend all the cash on a fake!
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with the Jap models. They are all quality bits of gear...

NF would not risk their rep by releasing crap quality, PERIOD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: East County</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it, thanks. My buddie just bought a new 3.5-15 x 50mm ZS and I saw the "Made in Japan" and told him I thought all NF were made in USA. He looked very concerned as he just paid $1700 for it! I better call him and tell he didn't spend all the cash on a fake!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yeah he's fine, tell him not to sweat it.

better yet, tell your buddy it is a fake and offer him a hundred bucks for it,lol

i think i have one of each, both are great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.5-10 Is made in the USA as well as the others that Lowlight listed. The Made in the USA ones are imprinted right on top in front of the elevation.</div></div>

I'm pretty sure the glass is made in Japan for the 2.5-10 as is the glass for the other scopes as well. The Japan glass is made to Nightforce requirements and from my experience it is excellent. I have one of the 2.5-10 scopes and I shoot with it on 800 yard range no problem.

Guys with the higher magnification scopes often have to turn their power down to 10x anyway due to mirage issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm pretty sure the glass is made in Japan for the 2.5-10 as is the glass for the other scopes as well. The Japan glass is made to Nightforce requirements and from my experience it is excellent. </div></div>

That was also my understanding of it all.

From a business perspective theres nothing wrong with outsourcing when it comes to make or buy decision, and clearly in this case Nightforce has chosen to outsource for some high quality glass.

The benefits are lost if both quality and costs are increased from producing something locally.

If the new NF scopes are receiving all american parts then surely the lightforce business has picked up the fundamentals and mastery of quality glass making. I will be keen to test out an "All American" NF scope in the future
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrong with Jpn?</div></div>
Nothing.

But my first choice if it was made would be a Nightforce with Schott Glass from Germany.

From what I have heard all NF scopes are made in Idaho, but they contain enough parts sourced from Japan to have to carry the "made in Japan" lable. They are working hard on getting parts that meet there QC up to speed made in the USA. NF as a company are very quality oriented and if the parts have to be out sourced to be "good enough" for there scopes then they will out source. I think they are working on having all there scope labled " made in the USA".

Just checlked my 2X10. It's made in the USA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: East County</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it, thanks. My buddie just bought a new 3.5-15 x 50mm ZS and I saw the "Made in Japan" and told him I thought all NF were made in USA. <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"> He looked very concerned as he just paid $1700 for it!</span></span> I better call him and tell he didn't spend all the cash on a fake!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I know that feeling . Looked at the first one I got and was like WTF ! I had myself all worked up over nothing .
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I have heard all NF scopes are made in Idaho, but they contain enough parts sourced from Japan to have to carry the "made in Japan" lable. They are working hard on getting parts that meet there QC up to speed made in the USA. NF as a company are very quality oriented and if the parts have to be out sourced to be "good enough" for there scopes then they will out source. I think they are working on having all there scope labled " made in the USA".</div></div>

I think you just hit the nail on the head,.."made in the USA" actually means just assembled there. The parts come from Japan and elsewhere. Its common practice.

My NF 5.5-22 says made in Japan. I try to buy American as much as I possibly can, but sadly that ship has sailed and is unlikely to ever come back.

If I recall correctly the NightForce glass comes from Japan and is Schott glass made in Japan. Schott has a number of factories around the glode. I imagine thay all make quality glass. This was from an old post about the source of US Optics glass. It did not speculate as to where the glass was cut and ground????

Pat

Article on success of Schott Japan http://www.us.schott.com/magazine/english/sol107/sol107_06_sun.html

Now thats an interesting article,...I had no idea that Schott had a Jap arm to the business.

The Chinese are prolific in supplying optical components and I guess it wont be long before we do see top end complete scopes from them?

Well I can tell before I went in to see the new scope, which Jeff said has US Glass, the guy from Schott USA was in there before me. I am pretty sure he was from Pennsylvania and they were the ones working on the "Made in USA" scopes as he was the guy who did the glass for the new prototype I saw.

http://www.us.schott.com/english/index.html#worldwide

Yep, Schott is in the US, Japan Malaysia etc. Don't know if they drop the glass in Germany and grind it in the respective countries or what their operations entail but I would imagine all of the Schott glass is high quality.

Pat

I had a friend who worked in DOD contracting, she told me that companies like Nightforce and S&B have to have a certain percentage of the parts assembled and or made here in the US in order to get contracts (based on some law or criteria from a committee. That is why the few models that Nightforce has that say are made in the USA are those that have all been contracted to the Military one time or another.(Like the F1 with 1 MOA turrets BDC set for 190 smk .300 winmag). She used to do go to new barracks buildings at military posts and take off an outlet cover(or anything else) and if it said made in china they all had to go and on the contractors dime. That is one of the reasons why I think Steiner is going to have Burris in Greely CO assemble their scopes, as to in the future perhaps be able to get a contract with DOD. I know they make exceptions for the made in the USA part because I have seen and used equipment from all over the place.

So was Schott Japan making their lenses intially or someone entirely different?

My new Nightforce NXS 8-32 w/ a NP-2DD Varmint reticle is marked Japan and the turrtes dont have NF on them like there web site shows.

I allso bought there light weight rings and pic rail for my 700 remington.Im wondering if they are made in Japan also????

Rob