• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NF Velocity Reticle Calculator - Live !

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Nightforce went live this morning with their new Velocity Reticle Calculator so if you are interested in seeing what you need to make the Velocity reticle work, stop by and take a look.

Velocity Reticle Calculator

The key to making the most of the Velocity reticle is having real data. Actually choreographing the rifle and load so you can match it to the scope. Once that is done these velocity reticles are very accurate. I have one matched up my 16" GAP AR10 <span style="font-style: italic">(old school, Armalite version )</span> the reticle is matched at 2575fps which is about dead on with this particular rifle and it hammers exactly on the line to 800 yards. I tried this on a 308 with a MV of 2700 and it doesn't work, but put it on a rifle that matches and bingo! Doesn't get any easier.

The second key to the velocity reticle, once you get a rough zero at 100, move to a distance like 500 yards and zero the 500 yard line on paper to fine tune your system. This down you'll find its within the width of the reticle out to distance.

Re: NF Velocity Reticle Calculator - Live !

I run a 2.5-10x32 on my 6x47L coyote rig with the HV reticle with 105 Amaxes. Love it !

same HV runs my 300 WSM with 180 Accubonds .. no brainer hunting reticle.

both match almost perfect !

Don't do me any good ..I gots the 8x32
    frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a 2.5-10x32 on my 6x47L coyote rig with the HV reticle with 105 Amaxes. Love it !

same HV runs my 300 WSM with 180 Accubonds .. no brainer hunting reticle.

both match almost perfect ! </div></div>

I can vouch for the NF velocity reticle also. It's as handy as it gets. The LV ret matches a 75 grain HPBT at 2770 fps perfectly out to 600Y at my location with a slight change in the sight distance.

Lowlight, What bullet are you running at 2575 to match the LV reticle? I have the 2.5-10X32 with LV reticle but running a 168 SMK at 2640, my POI is still a bit below the reticle's hash line at all ranges.

I mess with last night. I don't know if I was doing it right but it seems you need to match your load to the reticle. If your load shoots faster or slower. Then the retcile will be off.If you adjust the load to match the retcile. You will lose accuracy in the load thus defeat the purpose of reloading. Factory ammo should work a little better.
    If this is the case. Why not shoot a P4fine, mildot,etc. and adjust. The purpose of reloading is to find the sweet spot on the load to rifle combo.
    Is this somewhat correct?? Neat concept.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mess with last night. I don't know if I was doing it right but it seems you need to match your load to the reticle. If your load shoots faster or slower. Then the retcile will be off.If you adjust the load to match the retcile. You will lose accuracy in the load thus defeat the purpose of reloading. Factory ammo should work a little better.
    If this is the case. Why not shoot a P4fine, mildot,etc. and adjust. The purpose of reloading is to find the sweet spot on the load to rifle combo.
    Is this somewhat correct?? Neat concept. </div></div>

Were you messing with the calculator or shooting your rifle?

I actually dropped the velocity on my load 30fps but found that the rifle shot a tad better. It could have been the opposite but it worked out for the better. Yes what I did is a form of tuning because I wanted the trajectory and reticle to line up perfectly but before I did "anything" the reticle was only a half moa off from the start at 600Y. Which for practicality's sake is plenty good.

Remember one could always dial for the shot if they felt the need. The NFV reticles are what they are,a BDC ret.They aren't going to be absolutely perfect for every gun,cartridge and trajectory but on the other hand they work a lot better than one would think in the real world.

I will mess with the NF Calculator. The loads for the rifle is been used for a while in the rifle. I will try the Calculator again to try to match the load again. I would like to be able to match 2 loads but I do realize that might not be achievable.

Thanks for the linky...I absolutely love my LV in the 2.5-10x32

You can bump the turrets plus or minus a few clicks to adjust to match the reticle, as well you can use those same turrets to dial the scope to get better accuracy further out.

If you are off 50fps between your load and the reticle it's not a major tragedy, especially if you zero it in the middle of the yardage range. That makes any potential error smaller.

If you change altitude or spring / fall you can simply dial on a few MOA or less to match it back up.

Lots of ways to make it work and work well. I only saw a real problem when I was more than 100fps off the reticle. Once I got close and I am within 25fps of the reticle, the holds are spot on.

I'm looking forward to taking advantage of your first suggestion above about using actual data.

A really nice gentlemen is letting me borrow a 35p so I should be able to really dial this LV in.

Thanks again for the great information:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce went live this morning with their new Velocity Reticle Calculator so if you are interested in seeing what you need to make the Velocity reticle work, stop by and take a look.

Velocity Reticle Calculator

The key to making the most of the Velocity reticle is having real data. Actually choreographing the rifle and load so you can match it to the scope. Once that is done these velocity reticles are very accurate. I have one matched up my 16" GAP AR10 <span style="font-style: italic">(old school, Armalite version )</span> the reticle is matched at 2575fps which is about dead on with this particular rifle and it hammers exactly on the line to 800 yards. I tried this on a 308 with a MV of 2700 and it doesn't work, but put it on a rifle that matches and bingo! Doesn't get any easier.

The second key to the velocity reticle, once you get a rough zero at 100, move to a distance like 500 yards and zero the 500 yard line on paper to fine tune your system. This down you'll find its within the width of the reticle out to distance. </div></div> (I have one)What do you have?

If it is a 2FP scope and you change the power up or down the POA on the hold overs change. The only way this velocity reticle to be close is a fixed power or 1FP scope.
    In the real world no two shots are the same, close or dead-on,Learn to adj. to the world around you it's forever changing.

When I first ran across these reticles I was like ... Great another BDC reticle that won't match my loads and changing conditions and has no ranging ability. Also thought it odd that they o ly do MOA/MOA, but that isnt a bog deal. However, I'm starting to come around to them, especially the 1000 series that gives you an MOA field above and to the sides of the cross hair to range. Wish they could incorporate ranging ability into the 600 series in the 2.5-10 x 32 for use on an AR.

IMO it would be nice if NF could offer an elevation knob set up like a windage knob with a certain # of MOA up and down with a limiter. The scope would then run lsimilar to the old USMC Unertls. You'd have the base BDC reticle to use as a starting point and then your dope can be set up as +/- a set MOA to get you to a dead on hold. Now if they wanted to truly spoil tech geeks, they could come up with an App that can connect to NOAA weather stations near your location and give you a new set of dope based in the atmospheric changes from your zero data.