• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors NFA contractors

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
Some on reddit posted that the contractors were let go due to the shutdown and they will have to rehire and train new ones. I guess the goal is to keep f4 time below 18 months. Anyone heard anything like that?

Had to go find the Reddit thread after reading this post.

Reddit thread on post shutdown wait time

Really depressing if true. I can't help but wonder though, at what point does a delay become so long and onerous that it's effectively a denial without justification? Could an 18 mo wait be grounds to drive a lawsuit? Does the 2nd even apply to anything in the NFA post Heller? It just seems like there has to be some recourse to a continually ballooning ATF wait time at some point.

I thought the goal was to get to 30 days.

You would think the NFA people are funded by our tax stamps. The ATF guy I know said the FBI was going to be handling the background checks differently starting this year as they would have people dedicated to do them instead of doing them as a courtesy.

But like normal government red tape BS who knows.

Yeah the guy that posted made a comment that he was at the meeting, but idk. It would make sense. All the contracts could get messed up with the shutdown but I don’t know why they couldn’t rehire them. But there may be a rehire rule for contractors.

18months would be bad but as I understand about half the people approving forms were contractors so it makes sense. Add in the hiring freeze from a few years ago coupled with the immense increase in popularity and we are at 18 months.

I am curious if there is any opportunity to streamline.

For example if you already have approved items, their is less oversight

Allowing people to batch forms. If I have two forms in, once I get in a background check process both.

Or a system by which you put in for a background check then you get a window of like 30 days to purchase and everything is processed. So if I knew I wanted a can I could file for a background. Say it clears x months later they say hear is your background, then I submit the proof of background with all of my forms in one sitting. This could alleviate a lot of issues imo.

Reactions: LSUbeatUby40
In fiscal year 2017, ATF had 5,113 employees, including 2,623 special agents and 828 industry operations investigators. The agency’s 2017 enacted budget was $1.258 billion.

They have no excuse for long processing times. The small number of peeps who process these in done on purpose. The fact that this is not all electronic is absurd also.

pure speculation on my part, but I wonder how much of the increased wait times are due to ATF and FBI employees "resisting" the current presidential administration and "protesting" gun ownership.

I have wondered about this also.....even if trump was not going to let the hpa etc pass.....I was hoping he would revamp the entire system and add more processors.

I have wondered about this also.....even if trump was not going to let the hpa etc pass.....I was hoping he would revamp the entire system and add more processors.
I'm sorry that you have to hear it from an internet stranger, but neither trump, nor the rest of the republican party care about the 2nd amendment. All they care about is getting your vote, and they know that gun owners are a reliable single-issue group of voters.

I'd argue Trump was better than the alternative in the 2016 election, and I admit I was relieved he won. But don't forget that Trump was a life-long democrat up until he ran for president, that he pushed for a ban on bumpstocks with no reciprocal return, and has been on record saying "take the guns first, ask questions later." Trump has objectively hurt gun owners more than he has helped, and there's no sign of things getting better with his administration, congress, or state level rights as a whole.

Reactions: Gtscotty
trump is not a dem either....he is a me, myself, and I only person. I tried watching someof his interviews from the past, and I was hoping he was good at making deals and bringing rival party's together...sad to say I was wrong. He has the mentality of a 14 YO.

I should have some say in where my tax dollars go. Since the atf has a budget over 1 billion, if they can't figure out a way to make it faster, cut their funds. I have been waiting on my new cans for 8 months. Right now I am hoping they get here by the end of the year.

Reactions: Dirty D
The wait times are nothing new, it's been an ongoing thing since the late '90s at least. They said it would be faster when they moved to VA, it did for just a little bit, and then back to business as ususal. There is no reason that it shouldn't be completed in 90 days at the most, but they can make you wait, so they do. Nothing more to it than that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190210-184730.jpg
    Screenshot_20190210-184730.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 56
Wouldn't it be interesting if ATF processing times were anywhere remotely as close to the IRS's income stream from us taxpayers ? :unsure::whistle:

I dunno........just a thought. The IRS gets my money every two weeks. Why shouldn't I be able to get a form 4 approval in the same amount of time ? :unsure:

I'm trying, but I can't think of a good reason why/why not..........