• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NFA question/Help

neuma330

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2017
Hello, I am looking at building an AR10 with a 12.5" barrel. I was recently told that if the overall length of the rifle is over 26'' than it doesn't have to be a registered SBR. Is this true? I'm not looking to make a pistol out of it FYI. Thanks for the info.

You cannot put a stock on it, it would then become an SBR, requiring a form 1.
If you don’t want to register it as an SBR then you need a virgin lower, or one that has started life as a pistol, put a pistol brace on it, and then you can run your desired barrel length, plus a vertical foregrip if you’d like, given you’re over 26” OAL.

Pistols have many advantages over SBRs. No tax stamp. Don’t need permission to take it out of state and you can have it any where a handgun is legal

If the barrel is less than 16” and you want to put a stock on it, you have to make it an SBR.

If you don’t want to register it as an SBR then you need a virgin lower, or one that has started life as a pistol, put a pistol brace on it, and then you can run your desired barrel length, plus a vertical foregrip if you’d like, given you’re over 26” OAL.
^this

Great advice

Reactions: WirgmanUSMC
Pistol braces are popular with the chicks at my range