• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NFO BEAST - first hand accounts?

Mulga

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
Now that the BEAST is out, what are peoples experiences with this scope? Any photos of the BEAST in action?

My buddy just got one with a MIL-R reticle. I can't say it really wow'd me in any way. There was nothing about it that made me want to run out and sell my Premier to get one. It's a decent scope, but I don't see why there's so much hype around it and for the price, there are better options IMO. I would have rather just seen the ATACR in FFP with an MLR2.0 reticle in it. I really didn't like the MIL-R for holdovers and leads on movers (the little gaps in particular).

I think shaggyback did a review on one.

77d26nS.jpg

Last edited:
I have one. The glass is really nice, very clear and it picks up colors better then any scope I have looked thru. I could do without the -.1 lever I think it would make more sense to remove it and just keep the .2 system that everyone is already used to.
The zero stop brake is fine, just like any other zero stop really and the knobs are not as large as represented in photos. Overall I really like the scope and may consider getting another once they revisit the removal of the lever. I hear they are currently redesigning the elevation turret without that lever, which makes me happy.

I have one. The glass is really nice, very clear and it picks up colors better then any scope I have looked thru. I could do without the -.1 lever I think it would make more sense to remove it and just keep the .2 system that everyone is already used to.
The zero stop brake is fine, just like any other zero stop really and the knobs are not as large as represented in photos. Overall I really like the scope and may consider getting another once they revisit the removal of the lever. I hear they are currently redesigning the elevation turret without that lever, which makes me happy.

Just about my exact thoughts. I have only been out with mine for two range trips but so far I'm happy with it. It's not life changing but it is very nice. People seem to be hung up on the size of the knobs but I don't find them to be a problem. I have scopes from S&B, Premier, and Kahles and I feel that the Beast will fit right in my collection.

Getting really tired of some of you trolls, (and you know who you are) you contribute nothing, just run around stirring the pot.

The BEAST is a really great scope and the price point is definitely on track for what you get. Tons of adjustment, solid features, and great glass.

I have taken the BEAST to beyond 2400 yards and was able to spot my hits better than the guy on a Leupold Tactical Spotter. I saw what he didn't, in fact he had to change spotters to a Zeiss to even see, meanwhile was making my own adjustments with it.

The original Premiers don't hold a candle to it, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not weight, length, features, and the glass while being the only Premier strong point, (remember the entire function has been redesigned for a reason with the TT to fix the problems everyone has but nobody acknowledges) The BEAST can hang with thanks to the improvements. The view through a BEAST is top notch.

I get people don't like the lever, but really I find it a non-issue, you barely need it. Coming from the USMC I started with a Unertl, guess what it had, right, a lever. Still 36 Mils is hard to argue with.

Troll all you want, the BEAST in my opinion lives up the goal NF put forth.

I have the C450 and it is a beast for sure. I'm holding out for the 2014 Best Scope Shootout results and see what all comes from that as I haven't been able to get much time with mine. I'm sure only good things will come from his reviews. I just wish the NF-F1 could have been part of the review. With the LV.5 reticle, it doesn't get much easier than that. But oh well, I know that one is tops!

I played with one at Norcal. Nice glass but not WOWing. I think the glass in my Kahles is just as nice if not nicer and it costs less. Plus they lost me with the tower turret

Last edited:
I struggle for the right word, is it comical, or just strange that not a single person mentions their dislike for the Bushnell Tacticals which have a bigger and taller turret than the BEAST.

Nobody tries to to convince people to avoid the XRS because of the turret size. Clearly it stands taller. Weird.

You have to wonder, or not because it's always someone who just spent 5 minutes and never really used it.

I think it looks sick!! I would love the opportunity to look through one and personally, I like big turrets (on a scope at least). I just think they should also make a FFP version of the ATACR or at least start making a 5-22 F1.

I struggle for the right word, is it comical, or just strange that not a single person mentions their dislike for the Bushnell Tacticals which have a bigger and taller turret than the BEAST.

Nobody tries to to convince people to avoid the XRS because of the turret size. Clearly it stands taller. Weird.

You have to wonder, or not because it's always someone who just spent 5 minutes and never really used it.
about five minutes is all it takes to form an opinion.

I think the simple fact is that it was delayed for sooo long and hyped the whole time, that no matter how awesome it was it was still going to be a let down for those thinking it was something other-worldly.

I have shot with it more than 5 minutes, and it is everything it was supposed to be. It has on par glass compared to SB and the like, and it tracks well. Controls are well thought out. I would like the parallax to have approximate distances marked on it, and i wohld appreciate a less complicated reticle than the mil-r, but like anything you can get used to it.

about five minutes is all it takes to form an opinion.

You are exactly right, and for the record I think the Bushnell turrets are "comical" as well. Any turret that's large enough to get caught up on your pack putting it in or out is to big. As far as five minutes goes I've been completely sold on a scopes ergonomics in 5 mins and completely turned off a scope in 5 minutes. Unfortunately this one was the latter. AGAIN, MY opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Furthermore what is with all these TT followers for a scope that isn't even out yet? Have all of you spent any amount of time with them or is it just a blind following type of thing? I don't get it....

Last edited:
Hey Frank. What does that lever actually do? I have never understood it.

Hey Frank. What does that lever actually do? I have never understood it.

The turret adjusts in .2mrad increments, to provide 20mrad per revolution without resorting to itty bitty micro clicks to fit them all in.

The lever provides a means to add .1mrad more than what's dialed on the turret.

You need 1.0mrad of elevation? It'll take 5 clicks up from zero. Leave lever in "off" position.

Need 1.1? You'll need 5 clicks, plus move the lever to "on" position.

Need to go up to 1.2 from 1.1? Turn lever to "off" and put one more click on the turret.

Ok still does not make sense.

It just adds 0.1mil to the number shown on the turret. The turret reads 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6...

If the switch is off, you will get 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6...
If the switch is on, you will get 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7...

If you want to go to 1.1 from 1.0, you just turn the switch on when the turret is at 1.0. Turning the turret will bring you to 1.2 because it's in 0.2mil increments.

I like the lever, but I wouldn't pay extra to get it. I think it would be a popular feature in an F-Class scope as a way of getting 1/8 MOA increments.

It just adds 0.1mil to the number shown on the turret. The turret reads 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6...

If the switch is off, you will get 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6...
If the switch is on, you will get 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7...

If you want to go to 1.1 from 1.0, you just turn the switch on when the turret is at 1.0. Turning the turret will bring you to 1.2 because it's in 0.2mil increments.

I like the lever, but I wouldn't pay extra to get it. I think it would be a popular feature in an F-Class scope as a way of getting 1/8 MOA increments.
Thanks I get it.

NFO BEAST - first hand accounts?

I've had mine for a few months and have used it on my main comp rifle for 2 large matches and several local ones. First of all it's a scope not some magic unicorn shit, for those thinking it's going to solve all their shooting issues or be able to see into the future you're thinking way too much. I'm not here to convince anyone to buy it but what this scope does/has for me is: reliable tracking, excellent glass, quick adjustments. I like tall turret designs as I can see where I'm at while behind the gun, I had to get use to the reticle but now it's fairly intuative for me, and the brake on the turret is really a non issue for me as you don't need it (as long as you know what you are doing) if you're transitioning from one target to the next. I do find it amusing as a pevious scope compared earlier in this thread is one I had to get rid of because it would track worth a shit. I like the Beast and if I had the cash would spend it on another.
10317643_10152378891822211_363951558538156001_o.jpg

Last edited:
I've had mine for a few months and have used it on my main comp rifle for 2 large matches and several local ones. First of all it's a scope not some magic unicorn shit, for those thinking it's going to solve all their shooting issues or be able to see into the future you're thinking way too much. I'm not here to convince anyone to buy it but what this scope does/has for me is: reliable tracking, excellent glass, quick adjustments. I like tall turret designs as I can see where I'm at while behind the gun, I had to get used to the reticle but now it's fairly intuative for me, and the brake on the turret is really a non issue for me as you don't need it (as long as you know what you are doing) if you're transitioning from one target to the next. I do find it amusing as a pevious scope compared earlier in this thread is one I had to get rid of because it would track worth a shit. I like the Beast and if I had the cash would spend it on another.
View attachment 41337
I'm a bit perplexed. When you say it doesn't see into the future......what exactly do you mean by that?

I've had mine for a few months and have used it on my main comp rifle for 2 large matches and several local ones. First of all it's a scope not some magic unicorn shit, for those thinking it's going to solve all their shooting issues or be able to see into the future you're thinking way too much. I'm not here to convince anyone to buy it but what this scope does/has for me is: reliable tracking, excellent glass, quick adjustments. I like tall turret designs as I can see where I'm at while behind the gun, I had to get use to the reticle but now it's fairly intuative for me, and the brake on the turret is really a non issue for me as you don't need it (as long as you know what you are doing) if you're transitioning from one target to the next. I do find it amusing as a pevious scope compared earlier in this thread is one I had to get rid of because it would track worth a shit. I like the Beast and if I had the cash would spend it on another.
View attachment 41337

What kind of cheek pad is that?

The excitement surrounding the announcement of a new scope such as the Beast, a Tangent Theta, or whatever the next wonder scope will be is simply:
1. It's new and different and we all like the newest shiniest toys and want to be the first on the block to have one.
2. Some shooters actually think that they will shoot better or their groups will shrink, or it may give them an advantage in a match.
3. We are gear whores to a certain extent and we damn sure don't want anyone out gear whoring us.
4. There is a small chance that it may actually have some new feature, better glass, or be more user friendly than our last scope.

Really at the end of the day all the top scopes are so very close that it just comes down to personal opinion. The Beast, S&B PM11, Kahles, Steiner, TT, March, Razor HD, USO, are all badass scopes. Your probably not gonna shoot tighter groups with one over the other. They will all bang steel no problem at 1,000 plus yards. So much bickering about what amounts to splitting hairs when it comes to these scopes. Pick the one ya like and be happy. At this point in the scope game any improvements in glass and scope design will be hard for the human eye to see. Each improvement to new scopes will be so minor that it probably won't matter much. Just remember there's probably a shooter out there that will out shoot ya with some cheap ass scope or another because he or she shoots thousands of rounds a year and only has one rifle and one scope. Rant over.

Can someone confirm if ATACR and BEAST wearing the same glass

No first hand knowledge, but I read that the ATACR glass is made in the USA and the BEAST glass is made in Germany.

Can someone confirm if ATACR and BEAST wearing the same glass

They both utilize ED Glass but different prescriptions.

ATACR uses Japanese glass and the BEAST uses a combination of German, US, and Japanese.

Both yield superb results with the edge going to the BEAST, but most healthy eyes have a difficult time discerning.

So has anyone tried one with the H59 reticle? Likes or dislikes?

Some folks feel an irrational need to tear down superior products; especially if they can't afford one.

So all this .2, .4, .6 flip lever = .1, .3, .5 stuff is becuase it gives you 20 mils in one rotation? Why didn't they just use 2 rotations with a secound rotation indicator?

So all this .2, .4, .6 flip lever = .1, .3, .5 stuff is becuase it gives you 20 mils in one rotation? Why didn't they just use 2 rotations with a secound rotation indicator?

Because rotating twice is for bitches.
I've got a beast heading my way. We'll see if the lever bugs me. I'm looking forward to checking out the scope. I've always felt my f1 was my toughest scope with the best clicks I ever felt.

Damn, even the horses in Africa have bigger schlongs.

I have replaced most of my scopes with either a HDMR or S&B with a H59. I love them and wonder how I got along with out them. I have TReMoR2 also and am not in love with it although I can see the value on wind calls with it but I am just used to the H59. The first 4 HDMR's were 3.5 x 21 and I got the new ERS 4.5x30 and that is favorite even over the S&B. I think for the money they can't be beat.

My BEAST arrived on Monday the 23rd. Overall I really like it, but there is one feature that has me scratching my head: The 360 degree secondary zero lock. What's the point? Maybe I don't understand yet how it is really supposed to be used, but I don't see why I need to be able to lock the turret down from moving. I could do without it, and it would lower the profile of the elevation turret.

The lock was an Military requirement because the people from Horus sold them on locking the turrets off so you only use the reticle. This also meant if you dialed on some elevation you would lock it there in place. Blame Horus and their trainers for mandating this to their military clients making it part of every scope solicitation. It's on all these scopes because of the Horus reticle.

if you don't need it, just ignore it.

Thanks Lowlight. That makes more sense. I figured it was a military requirement but didn't know what for. You know, when I read the original descriptions for the scope a year ago, they made it sound like it would be a secondary zero stop, that you would still be able to dial above, much like the primary zero stop for your near zero. So I was a bit disappointed to find that all it is is a turret lock. But it makes sense now that you explain it is for doing holdovers on the reticle. Overall I am pleased with the scope and look forward to putting it through it's paces...

Are you referring to the Bushnells? I only ask because I am planning on getting an ERS...

I'm assuming he's referring to the Premier's which have had these issues in the past. Now re-branded to Tangent Theta and the internals redesigned to fix that particular problem along with others.

No, all the Bushnell scopes I've ever owned tracked perfectly.

I'm assuming he's referring to the Premier's which have had these issues in the past. Now re-branded to Tangent Theta and the internals redesigned to fix that particular problem along with others.

Thanks guys... I got a little nervous/surprised because I have heard nothing but excellent things about the Bushnells. Really looking forward to getting my ERS. If I could afford a BEAST or a Kahles I'd be going that route but there are some great deals out there on the Bushies!