• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Niche, urban sniper/handy precision rifle scope: NXS 2.5-10x42mm or something else?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    I'm looking for a scope to put on a bolt action 308 with an 18" barrel that needs to fit particular parameters.
    I need to keep it light and handy, and it will be used primarily to engage targets from 75m-300m. I wouldn't mind taking it out to 600m, but that's not the primary intention of this rifle.

Criteria:
    Needs to be robust, hold zero preferably over the course 2,000+ rounds with the same ammo/lot/etc... I don't want to have to use the warranty.
    Needs to track reliably.
    Less than 24oz.
    Needs to have smaller objective bell no bigger than 50mm, but preferably 42mm or 44mm.
    Should be SPF, or if it is FFP it needs to have an illuminated usable reticle at low power. I will only be dialing and holding at max power.
    Max power of 10 to 15. It will primarily be used on max power.
    Mil based reticle (Mil-dot, Mil-r, etc...). No trees.

Based on my criteria, I feel like the NXS 2.5-10x42mm is one of my best options. I could get away with the SWFA's HD fixed 10x42, but I would be sacrificing the versatility of the variable magnification.
    Side question, how does the glass quality compared between the SWFA HD's and the NF NXS line?

I don't necessarily have a budget per se, but I will be spending my own money on this, so I want to get the most value for what I'm spending. Lets cap it at $2000 for now.
    I'm trying to not be myopic, so what brands and models am I overlooking within this range of criteria?

Have you taken a look at the PA 2.5-10 gold line? I think they have some on ebay, but they fit most of your criteria

Have you taken a look at the PA 2.5-10 gold line? I think they have some on ebay, but they fit most of your criteria
    I just checked them out.
    That reticle is a deal breaker.
    Also, I don't know that I've heard enough about PA scopes [particularly their products in the <$1000 range] to trust their durability and overall quality.

I too like the 2.5-10 NXS. Mine does have a bit of barrel distortion, which gets annoying when staying on the scope for awhile.

To throw a possible monkey in the wrench, the SS 3-9 is an awesome scope, no illumination, but the reticle (simple mil dot, sadly) is useable at all power settings.

I didn't look at the weight of anything, so that doesn't factor into my answer.

For reliability, both are damn near bombproof. For glass, not sure, I always suck at that - but tracking has been spot on for me, admittedly n=4 total of both.

The illumination is the real kicker, NF has it, SS does not.

I have a few rifles fitting your general description, and my favorite wears the NF, but only due to illumination. The barrel distortion - or pincushion - or whatever - gives me a headache after about 10 minutes on scope. Others have mentioned it, you might not care, and maybe they have addressed it; but there you have it.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bakwa
    The NF compact is a great option.

Recommendation is that if you think you will be dialing don’t go with a capped turret version if you stumble across one cause the turrets are really small and not as easy to grip. Good side is that the capped turret version seems to be very uncommon so probably not something that would even come up.

I am a big fan of the NF for holding zero. In a tactical setting out to 600 yds I would still recommend a tree reticle because it allows you to spot shots accurately and make an immediate hold over correction to re-engage the target. For those reasons I would go with MilXT reticle. But here is a couple scopes you can't miss being happy with:

$1750
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforc...top-2mrad-Capped-Windage-PTL-FC-Mil-C598.aspx

$2099 - But I would swear by this scope allllll day long

NXS 2.5-10 (my favorite is the 32mm) with RP-R1 or RP-R2. Piss on dialing, just hold over. To 300y, unless you’re shooting mice it won’t matter.

NXS 2.5-10x42 is a nice scope, I have one, and like it. For the price, the durability and adjustable parallax is nice, and it's not too heavy. I like the x42 better for lower light scenarios, it's not that much larger.

Reactions: Leftie and Bakwa
    Vortex Gen III 1-10
    The Razor III is no doubt a great optic. However, I do not think it's smaller objective would be well suited for this particular task. I'm trying to remain compact, but still bring in some light for those lower light shots.

Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42?
    It seems to check a lot of your boxes.
    I just had a chance to look at this Credo in greater detail. That is quit the package. Trijicon has really expanded their lineup since I've last given them a look.
    Do you [or anyone else] know how the Credo's stack up to NF and other competitors durability wise? How about the glass quality?
    I've heard more than one story of an Accupoint not holding up to general use [and abuse].

I have NXS 2.5-10 x 42 on my 18” KAC LRP. I love the scope in terms of size, weight and performance. However, i always have feeling of this lacking enough power at 10x. If I’m trying to shoot a group at 10 yards, it’s kinda hard for me to see. In my opinion 3-15 or 4 -16 might be better options.

If I were in your shoes I'd look really hard at the NX8 2.5-20 if the weight & size work for you.

I'm mostly in an urban/suburban/industrial area and I'm running a K318i on my work sniper rifle. The extra power is nice for looking into/through/past things & actually seeing what you need to see. Can always dial back on the mag if needed, but you can't really boost a 10x so you can see into a room that's just a little too far away.

I have NXS 2.5-10 x 42 on my 18” KAC LRP. I love the scope in terms of size, weight and performance. However, i always have feeling of this lacking enough power at 10x. If I’m trying to shoot a group at 10 yards, it’s kinda hard for me to see. In my opinion 3-15 or 4 -16 might be better options.

If I were in your shoes I'd look really hard at the NX8 2.5-20 if the weight & size work for you.

I'm mostly in an urban/suburban/industrial area and I'm running a K318i on my work sniper rifle. The extra power is nice for looking into/through/past things & actually seeing what you need to see. Can always dial back on the mag if needed, but you can't really boost a 10x so you can see into a room that's just a little too far away.

Thanks. These are the kind of responses I was looking for.

I ended up buying a NXS 2.5-10 anyway from Doug. I'm going to play around with it just to make sure it won't work for my purposes, but in the end, I'm almost expecting to buy something with a bit more higher end magnification for my end product.

If I want to try and cheat my weight requirements, that begins to leave open the NX8 2.5-20, ATACR 4-16, Vortex's, and a whole lot of other great options.
    The question becomes, how much more weight do I want to run around with before setting up for a shot?

Cheers

Last edited:
    Reactions: Moose
    I am sure you are going to enjoy the NXS 2.5x10 it is a handy little scope.

The nxs 2.5-10 was just ok for me
    -lighter than my Vortex
    -compact and
    -reliable dialing
    -good glass
    -mil/mil

The night force 2.5-10 optics are excellent and it’s a shame the x24 and x32 are discontinued.

You can pair a x32 or x24 with a RMR in a Geissele mount and hit <27oz.

NF’s digillum is stupid and parallax adj in an urban setting is totally unnecessary. You want a 2.5-10x32. They can be had used for<$1500