• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nickel LC Cases

dan46n2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2006
I've only loaded brass cases so far and just received some nickel 223 LC cases, probably from some TAP ammo. Should they be treated any differently than brass? Do they have the same life span as brass?

Re: Nickel LC Cases

A lot of people don't like nickel-plated brass because the nickel can flake and embed inside your die. Once that happens, the die is toast.

That said, I have some nickel .357 Mag brass that I bought in the mid-1970s. I've lost a few pieces due to split case mouths, but I've loaded that brass at least 15 times - off the top of my head. It's 8,000 miles away, else I'd go check.

Hmmm... I better not take the chance then out of a few thousand 223 cases I bought maybe 20 are nickel.

Wise choice in my opinion. I've never fooled with it because of the horror stories I've read about. Younger brother bought a set of 308 comp dies off E-bay. When we were setting up the FL die we noticed the necks had a uniform lines all around the neck and the full length of the neck. You could run your finger nail around the neck and feel the ridges. We called RCBS and the first question they asked was "Have you been reloading Nickel cases?" With what I've read and with that being the first question asked, that's enough for me not to deal with Nickle brass. If I did I don't think I would load it over twice. With all the prep I do to a piece of common brass it ain't worth the time.

man what a bummer, i have at least 1500 of those nickel lake city cases that have yet to make it to my reloading bench, ive reloaded several hundred rem 308 nickels with no problems thou

I'm not saying not to load them, I just chose not to. Not from experience because I know there has to be many out there that does. I have loaded some in 708 but only did it once and did because of identical case weights with good known brass loads and didn't know when I might get around to shooting them. I do know people that load Nickel but won't load it over 3 times and if they see it flaking they will can it then. I just spend so much time in my brass prep I choose not to use it for just 3 firings and as far as I know if you anneal it,it will flake for sure.

<span style="font-style: italic">Nickel is harder than brass</span>, your sizing operations will be more difficult and you run a better chance of scratching up the die body in the process. The only nickel cases I reload are straight walled pistol cases and they get run through hornady's FL die with the nitride insert as well as case lube. To be fair I also have a set of nickel .300wm cases I reload, but they get neck sized only. When I initially tried FL sizing them I ended up pulling a case through the shell plate and got the expander stuck in the neck a few times as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of people don't like nickel-plated brass because the nickel can flake and embed inside your die. Once that happens, the die is toast.

That said, I have some nickel .357 Mag brass that I bought in the mid-1970s. I've lost a few pieces due to split case mouths, but I've loaded that brass at least 15 times - off the top of my head. <span style="font-size: 17pt">It's 8,000 miles away, else I'd go check. </span> </div></div>

Would you mind, I need to know!
laugh.gif

I have reloaded a bunch of TAP cases, and other than just not being quite as accurate as regular Win cases, I found nothing usefully different. However, note, I neck size with a TiN bushing most of the time (With body die the rest of the time).