• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Force 5.5-22x56

Salty_McGroin

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Hello all,
I am sorry if I have jumped the gun, pardon the pun, I am new to the forum, a friend of mine said this is the best place for info....
I am starting to get into precision rifle, I recently picked up a nightforce 5.5-22x56 to go with a nice Savage rifle... now most of it is all greek to me, I am trying to learn about setting the focus, the paralax, and zeroing the scope and setting the zero stop. I am not saying that the owners manual is not informative, but I feel it is lacking a touch...
Any how I would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thank you again

Re: Night Force 5.5-22x56

For setting paralax your going to want to get a good checkweld and a full picture threw your scope the "wiggle" your head up and down (BUT DO NOT MOVE THE RIFLE) if the recital moves when your head (and by default your eyes) move then you need to adjust your paralax - keep moving the knob a little at a time until the recital becomes stationary regardless of head movement

skip to 5:10 into this clip and you can see him adjusting his paralax on a NF scope so it should be the same for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzg_TgUQE...I7GiBtlI6Q_alCG

To zero the scope I would first boresight it - can do it by eye if you have a bolt action (its what i did and it was my first firearm ever - im still extremely new)

I would recommend sandbagging your rifle to zero it during this process (do not move the rifle after you have it centered - the rifle should not be adjusted until you are completely done)

To boresight by eye remove the bolt and set the rifle up so that you can see your target centered down range in the barrel (get it as centered as possible)

WITH OUT MOVING THE RIFLE adjust the elevation and windage of the scope to be centered on the target - fire the rifle - you should be on paper if not adjust accordingly until you get on paper - once on paper shoot a group - 3 / 5 rounds should do it

adjust the scopes recital down to center of that grouping - at that point your setup should be "zeroed in" adjust the rifle to be center target and confirm - adjust as needed

how to set zero stop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyzA6V2ne...rHk1AfgbpyiosQA

The owners manual left alot to be desired for me aswell....i think they assume that people who are dropping the kind of dough their product cost must have enough experience to not really need it to be that informative hehe

thankfully this site was here to guide me along the way
smile.gif
and it still is of coarse

Re: Night Force 5.5-22x56

Focus the reticle by adjusting the eyepiece at the rear of the scope. Loosen the lock ring, adjust, then relock the ring.