• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Force Comparison

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I am going to buy a new long range scope. I was considering the Huskemaw, but I think I have decided to go with a NF.

I have been studying and reading a good bit about the NF scopes. I have been comparing the NXS to the BenchRest model. The BR model is considerably less in price.

The major difference I have found is the MOA adjustment in the scopes. The NXS has greater adjustment. Also the NXS is a bit heaver.

I am interested in what the real differences are.

I would not have any problem with the 8X32 power in the BR, the power range would work just fine. I would probably go with the 5.5X22 if I bought the NXS, however either scope would work just fine for my intended purpose.

What is the real low down on the differences??

I am going to be purchasing in the next week or so. Anybody have any special deals right now?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: Night Force Comparison

Hogghead,

Just what is your intend purpose?? If your seeking a Bench-rest scope then just buy the 8-32x56mm PB.

If your seeking a Hunting/tactical/General Shooting, out to 1000 yds then buy the NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1.

If your not sure what your really going to use it for, like more leaning towards target, then hunting, then buy the 5.5-22 x 50 NXS, with MIL-Dot or MLR, and mil-radian adjustments.

To summarize:

The 8-32x56 PB is a Bench-Rest scope, that is it's only function. It is not used for hunting or tactical shooting.

The 5.5x22x50 NXS is a LR Tactical scope, that will work for some hunting and some bench-rest disciplines, and all LR tactical applications.

The NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 is a pure Tactical Scope, and will work for general hunting better than the 5.5-22 due to it's power range. With FFP and mil reticle and mil adjustments it is the best general purpose scope in the NF line. And you can hit any target that is bigger than a breadbox @ 1000 yds with it.

3 scopes, three different functions. Now go pick the scope that fits your PURPOSE......

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm better order the popcorn and beer keg now, this is going to get real ugly! </div></div>

I can assure you that "ugly" is not my intent. I really want to make an educated decision. I have done a lot of reading and searchs but I can not seeem to really find the lowdown differences. Personally I hope this thread becomes very constructive. Thanks for your comment. Tom.

Lowdown difference-go to a tactical precision rifle or F-Class match and see how many Huskewhatevers are on the rifles. Then count NF's.
Report back your findings.

What is your intended use?

Sorry, I didn't see that your real question was what the differences were in the NF models.....

The BR model is a benchrest scope: smaller covered turrets, 1/8th moa adjustments, objective parallax adjustment and an easily adjustable illumination dial.

The NXS is a tactical scope and is made to take abuse: larger exposed turrets, more coarse adjustments, side parallax knob and an illumination that is a PITA to adjust in the field.

Different scopes for different purposes. If target shooting at the range is the game, the BR may be the one for you. For anything else, the NXS is probably better suited to meet your needs.

I own, or have owned, both and consider them both to be good scopes for their intended uses. The only NF I currently own/use is a 5.5-22x NXS, though the F1 is definately tempting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your intended use? </div></div>

I will be using it for a fixed position LR deer rifle. And probably spending a lot of afternoons at our 1,000 yard BR club.

The scope will not be beat around the mountains. I only wish I was physically capable of beating one around the mtns. I am a handicapped shooter and hunter so my traveling is done on a modified Kawasaki Mule. And most of my hunting is done in ground blinds, or hunting shacks. I will only use this rig in open areas. In the woods I will be using my 30-06 that has an A-Line Swaro. on it. Thanks, Tom.

IMG_0540.jpg

If the scope is going to be bumping around on an ATV and used for hunting I would go with the NXS series as they are a tougher scope. Yes a little heavier than some other scopes but it's there for a reason.

For power range, seeing as you'll be doing alot of 1000 yard shooting and long range hunting where you will probably want to see your target well I would say go with the 5.5-22x50. At 31oz it is lighter than the BR models, 36oz, also.

So you are saying that the BR models are not made to as strict or as heavy of a standard?? Tom.

The BR are made for BR comps. The NXS is made for tactical use and the military. Both are made very well for their intended purposes. If you plan to beat it around the NXS would be the better option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm better order the popcorn and beer keg now, this is going to get real ugly! </div></div>

I can assure you that "ugly" is not my intent. I really want to make an educated decision. I have done a lot of reading and searchs but I can not seeem to really find the lowdown differences. Personally I hope this thread becomes very constructive. Thanks for your comment. Tom. </div></div>

I have seen this question before and people start fighting about different scopes, it turns into a Ford vs chevy vs dodge. ITs nothing you did dude, its just this place. sit back and its going to be a good firefight.

I think you answered your own question...if you are hunting with this rifle..and I see it shows you from WV..then first ask yourself what your average shot will be on the animals you hunt. They (who ever they are) have been shooting 1000 yard targets with 10 power scopes for quite some time...so remember that. You will have no problem with the 3.5-15 or the 5.5-22...however the lower power is better for hunting at closer ranges.
For what it's worth.
Malc

But the higher may come in handy for target work at 1K...
I'd go 5.5-22NXS like Rob suggested. 5.5 on the low end should be fine, esp as you said " fixed position LR deer rifle". Sounds like you have the up close work covered with the '06 setup you have.

NXS 5.5-22x50 with reticle of your choice.

Do all of you ranging before your hunts, setup land marks or markers with designated ranges. Dial up your new NXS and you will be ready for business. Good Luck! Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of my long range hunting spot. Tom.

IMG_0328.jpg

</div></div>

Looks to me like you already have a Leupold LR scope that's in good service ... just send it back in to Leupold and have them add M1 turrets to the elevation and windage dials and be done with it ... that scope will do everything you want it to, and then some ... and will cost you a lot less in the long run compared to selling it and buying an NXS to replace it ...

on another note ... if that's your long range hunting setup, looks like you don't need any kind of "heavy duty use" scope that will get beat around ... you could use the Nightforce BR model since you're basically setting up with bags/rests and just sitting over a field ... that alone will save you money over the NXS models ...

New poster here. I have read this site for a while, so today I joined. I have handled a huskemaw, these scopes are on the order of lower end scopes, priced in the $200-$300 range! I can't believe the price they are asking for them. It is as if they think, "If we charge like they were a high quality scope, peopel will believe they are a high quality scope". Their hype is shameful. I am surprised they don't guarantee you will become the world champion supershooter if you just buy one.Their glass may or may not be made in Japen, but the rest of it looks like Chinese workmanship to me. I do not work for any scope company or have a dog in that fight, but look at these things real close, in your hand, before you lay down your money. The idea that we are so behind, send us your money first and then we'll let you see it, is a dead give-away.

Go with the NSX, if your handicap allows you to move around the mil-dot may be helpful. I don't know if you are allowed to shoot from your "mule", move a loaded weapon on your mule from site to site. But hunting involves shots at unexpected ranges, unknown ranges. Not having quickly adjustable turrets is a disadvantage to wildly varing ranges of several hundreds of meters. if you can move(lawfully) to other locations on your mule in that hunting area, thats a big advantage, use it. Don't constrain yourself to one spot, if movement allows a better chance to hit your target(s).

Prices http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1289891#Post1289891