• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night force nxs mrad. noob Frustration

B

boomer81

Im just getting into long range stuff. A couple of months ago i bought my first night force nxs 5.5x22x50 with mrad reticle. On a 700 vtr in .308 nf rings and bases. As recomended by a guy who shoots in tactical matches. Before that Ive used trijicon accupoint mildots for the last couple of years on a 700 in 7mag. And i had no problem hitting out to 700 yards.

I am a total noob to a scope of this precision. I know it me and im totally missing somthing. When i purchased the scope i mentioned i wanted mildot because im used to it and the basic formulas. and he really pushed me on the mrad. I may be in a bit over my head. But i bore sight it. Take it out and i cant hardly get on the paper at 25 yards. I adjust and im all over the place. Ive read the manual a few times. I accept that im doing something wrong. But i also sighted in a cheap mark ar scope on my rock river in two mins last week and was hitting a 8 inch gong repeatedly at 400 yards. Any tips to simplify this for a simpleton. Thanks to all

Re: Night force nxs mrad. noob Frustration

Check your mounts, rings, etc. for proper installation, and torque values.

Boresight it at 100 Yards, not 25.

Lock it up on sandbags, take the bolt out, look through the bore at the target (make it a big target like an IDPA cardboard with a smaller set of 1" dots in the center) and adjust the scope reticle so that it coincides with what is seen through the bore.

Your first shot should be on paper.

When you get it there, put the magnification on 22x and reticle on what you were aiming at, and count how many mils over horizontally the impact is. Use the reticle as a 'ruler.' That's what it's for! It's important to be on 22x for this part.

If the impact is 2.5 MILS RIGHT of target, dial the windage knob 2.5 MILS to the LEFT.

Do the same with the vertical deflection. When you are putting five shots in a 1" dot, remove your elevation knob and adjust the zero stop to your liking, then re-affix the elevation knob with "0" positioned at the indicator line. Loosen the windage knob and also move that to "O." Very important that you do not feel clicks happening during this process.

Then with both knobs at "0" crush another dot just to be sure.

HTH,

--Fargo007

Sounds like something is loose or the scope is broke. Expensive scopes do fail on occasion.

You said you were used to Mildot scopes but have you used mil turrets before? If not this may be your issue. I believe the accupoint uses moa turrets but the one you have now is mil/mil.

Scot E.

Are you zeroing with the scope at 22x? As fargo007 said, that's critical with this scope. 22x is the only magnification where the reticle markings will be accurate. Try it again at 100 yards, not 25, after you've boresighted as described above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaaron11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you zeroing with the scope at 22x? As fargo007 said, that's critical with this scope. 22x is the only magnification where the reticle markings will be accurate. Try it again at 100 yards, not 25, after you've boresighted as described above.</div></div> why would it only be accurate at 22x just askin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bug guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaaron11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you zeroing with the scope at 22x? As fargo007 said, that's critical with this scope. 22x is the only magnification where the reticle markings will be accurate. Try it again at 100 yards, not 25, after you've boresighted as described above.</div></div> why would it only be accurate at 22x just askin</div></div>

Because its not a FFP scope. The reticle stays the same size no matter what power setting you are on. 1 mil on the ret. is only 1 mil on 22x on 11x it is 2 mil, 5.5 is 4 mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bug guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaaron11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you zeroing with the scope at 22x? As fargo007 said, that's critical with this scope. 22x is the only magnification where the reticle markings will be accurate. Try it again at 100 yards, not 25, after you've boresighted as described above.</div></div> why would it only be accurate at 22x just askin </div></div>

For a second focal plane scope, you need to be at max power to be able to utilize the reticle markings. If you try holdover at any power other than 22x, you'll be off.

Because a graduated reticle in a second focal plane scope is only accurately graduated at one magnification.

If the OP is measuring the difference between POI and POA with a SFP scope set at a magnification other than the reference magnification then dialing a correction based on that measurement, it's not gonna work as intended.

Joe

I've got the same scope (x4) as the OP.

There are useful techniques for using an SFP reticle at half and .25 magnification levels, and I employ those all the time, but those are beyond the scope of what the OP needs to accomplish right now. I gave him what I believe is the quickest path for him to get from where he's at now to a good, reliable zero.

Boomer, please let us know it worked out. If you need more help, post up again.

--Fargo007

Ok im going to the range this weekend. Will report back. Thanks to all for your help

Just out of curiosity and I ask this because I've seen it happen... are the adjustments in moa or mil? If you or your spotter is calling adjustments in inches... 1 mil on your scope does not equal 1 inch, it equals 3.6 inches.