• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Force or Vortex

Deets

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2020
Ive always wanted to try out a Night Force, just never buckled and spent the coin. I’m in the market for good scope, I currently have 2 gen 1 PST’s 6x24x50’s and like them for the money.
I would Probly upgrade to the gen 2 Razor 5x25 or 4.5x27 for this rifle. Which are priced really good at the moment.
Is the Night Force really worth an extra grand? Looking at the NX8 8x32.

Sorry if you guys get asked this stuff all the time.

🍿 I personally don't you give up much except a wee bit more clarity by going with the Vortex Razor gen 2 4.5-27 over the 5-25 NF. Don't have any experience with the 7-35 NF.

I was in the same boat decided to go with Vortex. Nx8 is around $2000 though, unless you are talking about ATACR. Just couldn't justify the extra $1000 right now and most people say that difference is not that big between two. If you are not happy with Vortex you can usually sell it for $100 less than what you paid for. Check with Liberty Optics their price is the best for Vortex unless you live in Florida, I got mine from Sport Optics should be here in couple days.

Reactions: Center556
I’m pretty happy with the Vortex glass I have so far, it’s hard to pay double for a little extra clarity. I’m also a fan of USA made products. I know some of Vortex’s stuff is made over seas. I assume the Razor is made here?

AMG is made here. G2 is made in Japan. I’ve yet to own a Nightforce I hated. NXS 2.5-10x42, SHV 4-14x50, ATACR 4-16x42, ATACR 7-35x56. The price a new Vortex can be had for even used makes it hard to pass up if the scope is your thing. I’ve always found NFs to be really easy to get behind and look through. The diopter takes more time and if a rotating eyepiece isn’t your thing a NF won’t be your thing. I much prefer the ATACR turrets to the LTEC turrets. No experience with the NX8 series which look to maybe have the NXS turrets. Way different than what is put into the ATACR line. I assume you mean the ATACR being worth it at a grand more since the NX8 line isn’t far from a G2. If it’s worth the extra depends on if NF will provide you something that the G2 can’t. I like the Mil-XT reticle better than the EBR series. All subjective of course.

🍿 I personally don't you give up much except a wee bit more clarity by going with the Vortex Razor gen 2 4.5-27 over the 5-25 NF. Don't have any experience with the 7-35 NF.

NF ATACR 7-35 is a wet dream. Do you need that much omph... probably not. But it will make you smile every time you get behind the rifle.

If you want to maximize return and save money, a SWFA 3-15x42 is hard to beat IMHO.

AMG is made here. G2 is made in Japan. I’ve yet to own a Nightforce I hated. NXS 2.5-10x42, SHV 4-14x50, ATACR 4-16x42, ATACR 7-35x56. The price a new Vortex can be had for even used makes it hard to pass up if the scope is your thing. I’ve always found NFs to be really easy to get behind and look through. The diopter takes more time and if a rotating eyepiece isn’t your thing a NF won’t be your thing. I much prefer the ATACR turrets to the LTEC turrets. No experience with the NX8 series which look to maybe have the NXS turrets. Way different than what is put into the ATACR line. I assume you mean the ATACR being worth it at a grand more since the NX8 line isn’t far from a G2. If it’s worth the extra depends on if NF will provide you something that the G2 can’t. I like the Mil-XT reticle better than the EBR series. All subjective of course.
A brand new gen 2 Razor can be had for $1180 I believe. And the NX8 is $2150.
If I could get a used NX8 in moa, ffp, 8x32 around the $1600 range I’d Probly go for it

If I could get a used NX8 in moa, ffp, 8x32 around the $1600 range I’d Probly go for it

4-27 for $1180? It is a shoe-in at that price. I have never seen them that low, including used scopes full of dumb stickers and MOA reticles.

I think that $1180 price tag is for the 1-8, can't possibly be for a new 4.5-27.
Anyway, from the nightforce I've been behind, I can't see where all the extra money goes. I'm sure they're very durable and accurate, but I can say the same for all the Gen2 razors that I own. I've never had any problems with them, and the clarity shouldn't ever cost you points at a match. That being said, they're very heavy, and the reticles are getting to be a bit dated for me. They need to come out with something a bit finer and simple, kinda like a Gen3XR reticle or something. So, you can usually find a used Gen2 for around 1600 or so in the PX, and you'd have a hard time finding any nightforce with comparable options for anywhere near that price.

Reactions: ken226
It was at liberty optics, they had em on sale. But I’m thinking I was looking at the wrong scope.

Not sure where you found a G2 new for that price but if so it’s really a no brainer.