• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Night Hunting Tripod Setup - Whatcha got?

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
I suppose this thread could fit in more than one sub-forum, but being that the intended purpose is for mounting a night rig, this location seemed more plausible.

I'm rocking a Really Right Stuff TVC-33 with Leveling Base and Vyce (Arca Plate). Some of my rifles are heavy and long which means I have to almost perfectly tension the Leveling Base in order to make swiveling follow-up shots (think large groups of pigs). In some cases, depending on which direction the pigs run, I either loosen or tighten the Leveling Base - frustrating.

For reference, I'm running a few different setups and the solution I'm looking for would standardize across all systems:
- 12.5" 6.8 w/ Reap-IR - Super light and short.
- SCAR 17s ATACR 8x & PVS-30 - This rig isn't light, but it's not too heavy either.
- AI AX w/ ARCA Plate w/ S&B Ultra Short and PVS-30 - Super heavy. I typically wouldn't attempt follow-up shots with this rifle unless in a wide open ultra large field.

What I'm looking for is a tripod solution that allows me to more easily make follow-up shots on running pigs, without the tension pains of a Leveling Base, and can accommodate a large variety of weapon systems, from Short-Long and Light-Heavy.

Is the ANVIL-30 the answer?

With the many different ways to skin a cat, please share your setup and how you feel it's superior to other vendor solutions.

45687493534_ef805881e2_k.jpg

45153539572_4ef27d74ed_k.jpg

43942101915_34bb784434_k.jpg

In Dec 2015 I got manfrotto m190 with 322rc2 ... and subsequently got an m055 also with a 322rc2. And those still work ... but call it "2 moa" ... also got a couple of pig saddles, though usually use direct attach with a rail interface.

Six months ago I got exactly what you're looking at an rss anvil 30 and a vyce although I use a direct rail attach if possible. The rrs is sub-moa for the two guns I've been shooting groups off of it with ...

all are 4 rd groups at 100yds ...

6.5(18) 0.81 inches (12 groups)

7.62(20) 0.96 inches (18 groups)

So you are literally buying precision ...

Also the RRS setup is about a pound lighter.

the 322rc2 provides a bit more support for panning ...

with the anvil, you need to practice.

If you unlatch the head the gun might flop all around ... you can hold it steady. I keep the gun in the pocket and only my trigger hand on the gun when panning for 360s ... my support hand is on the tripod to keep me and the tripod steady as I am stepping around it while doing 360s ... When shooting I then put the support hand up along the forearm, gripping the forearm ...

You can latch down a bit with the anvil 30 ... but that requires practice. Latcch it too much and then panning is hard ... latch it not at all and then too much floppy ... but with practice you can get the right balance. I have. It was a problem for me at first ... but as with many new things ... "training solves it" :)

Setup for the field, with ammo ... my rifles are 15 to 22 pounds ...

I definitely think the rrs + anvil 30 is the way to go ... I think the anvil 30 is the "fastest" head ... and you can control it if you practice ... just don't expect to rush out and use it the first night ... shoot some groups with it .. day and night for a couple of weeks ... if you do that ... your field experience with be positive.

The Manfrottos work ... and are about 20% the cost ... but, I have worn out both of my 322rc2 heads ... they don't tension up tight any more ... 2.5 years of hard use ... So to sustain those I'd have to get new heads ... I'd rather save up for another RRS ...
I will switch the manfrottos to spotters and binos sorts of use ...

Last edited:
Is the Anvil-30's sweet spot repeatable?
In other words, if I tighten down the lever for Shot1, then flip it open to the desired tension for Shots2,...,..., is this process done by 'feel' or is there a limiting set-screw that can be adjusted as a tension stop?

... flip it open to the desired tension for Shots2,...,..., is this process done by 'feel' or is there a limiting set-screw that can be adjusted ...

I have to admit, I'm not sure I am following the question ... but I can say there is no "limiting set screw" ...

So, if I had to guess, I would say "by feel" ... but I don't do it "by feel" ... I do it with my eyes ... I point the gun where I want it to be pointed !

And again, it doesn't have to be all the way "open" ... you can keep a little tension on it and I do ... but it order to move it .. you have to open it up some.

Much easier to understand by doing than by reading I suspect :)

==
With the manfrotto, you had to squeeze the joy stick ... with the anvil you have to release the latch ... it seemed different to me at first ... but something new will seem different ... but I've gotten moving yotes with the anvil ... and I was not thinking about the tripod ... I was aiming and shooting :)

But I go out with the guns and tripods about 3 times every night ... and I shoot groups several times per week ... so I get a lot of practice ... and then the gear is just an extension of me ... and I don't think about the gear ... I think about what i want to do ...

Looking for same solution too. Currently use Demon ball and carbon fiber for my walk around use with Hog Saddle. I find for most of what I do with this setup I just loosen the tension on the horizontal and have the ball pretty much locked up and the Hog Saddle loose enough for vertical adjustment.

This is probably a crap setup for heavier rigs but for those I have a Feisol and RRS universal leveling base and Arca adapters on SR25/PVS30 and JAE700. I’m still looking for a better solution but it works.

At one time wanted a do it all solution but now I’m kind of happy I’ve got two and sometimes set up the SR25 ahead of time over a field and carry the other around during the same hunt.

I just switched to a carbon fiber tripod that is outfitted with a 75mm bowl. I've got a half ball leveling head on order that is capable of 17° of adjustment in any direction. I'll marry the rifle to the leveling head with a "three legged thing" quick arca clamp. Haven't tested it yet though....might be a turd, but I dont think so

Skyscrapin, I use a tvc-24 with a series 2 levelling base. The series 2 levelling base has the butterfly for adjusting tension similar to rrs universal levelling base. Once on the rifle, I can easily adjust the tension with my left hand using the butterfly, allowing me to pan onto another dog quickly. One of the reasons I stayed with series 2 tripod because of this feature on the levelling base, rather than the tension/twist handle below the base on the series 3, which I find difficult to manipulate quickly.20181227_131131.jpg20181227_131244.jpg

The second pic is just an arms 17 attached to a cheap arca rail to use with the ar. Although cheap looking, it works and serves its purpose, eliminating any play using a hog saddle.

Bh55 works great, set the tension to tight enough to hold the gun stable but when you apply pressure you can track/pan/follow moving targets and you dont have to hit any knobs
Or the bh40 or whatever other smaller ones there are too if you dont want to have the size of the 55

I've gone through at least 8 different tripod set ups looking for the right answer. Had to overcome several physical hurdles (constant small muscle twitching/tremors) which prevented me from decent accuracy. Went ahead and spent the money on an RRS 34/Anvil set up. My search is over. It has so outperformed my expectation that I was shocked. Best purchase I've made in years.

Swinging on moving targets is not a problem. And the ability to instantly switch between ARCA and Picatinny rails is really really nice for the weapons I use.

While the Anvil-30 and BH55-LR appear to be the best rifle mounting night hunting solution, does anyone also use them for day hunting with a Spotter? This has me wondering if a fluid head, though significantly more expensive, might provide the best solution. Using the Leveling Base and my Spotter45 is far from a smooth operation. If I need to buy a second RRS tripod and head for day hunting, I’m cool with that too, but I would also ideally shoot of off it. No idea if a fluid head is to fragile or not.

I use my bh55 for spotting as well, it works great for that as the pan function is smooth as hell and I can manipulate the spotter easily using the larger knob on the side if I want to move it up down around or whatever and can tension it to hold the spotter in place hands free and apply pressure to move it as I need to just like with the rifle and not just pan across an area if i need. I do want an anvil30 but at this time I dont see enough of a need for it over what I have to justify it for myself.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
@SkyScrapin Been talking to Michael at RRS, for spotting, FH-350 is money, but not ideal for shooting. You can do so, but wasn't designed for the weight, leverage or recoil of a rifle.

I'm looking to get a FH-350 combo in the future and use my Anvil30 setup for shooting and matches that I have to fly to....

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Thats like a 2000 dollar head, know some that use similar setups for camera work. For my spotter just using an old manfrotto pistol grip that I got cheap, fine for a spotter not built for weight. I'll stick with the levelling base I have, maybe if I get some time behind the anvil 30 and if it changes it my mind I might switch over.

I'm running a TVC3-4 and have both the BH55 and the leveling base with the ~4" handle on it. My primary predator rifle is a 243Ai that(with can, scope, clip on, full mag) weighs north of 20lbs.
I have found the same issue as you in that if I pan to the right, it locks up and to the left, it loosens. With practice and fast hands/feet, it can be worked around. Im still running it over the BH55 this year, due to the (slightly) increased rigidity of the leveling base as well as the (greatly) decreased weight. One thing that I've found to help, although tedious, is to coat all contact surfaces of the leveling base with dry teflon lube.
No issues running a spotter with either head.
I have considered an Anvil, but I'm waiting to try one out, which should be possible at the Eastern US Coyote Calling Contest in 2 wks.
Also, for whatever it's worth, I much much much prefer direct mounting to using a saddle whenever possible.

@wigwamitus may I ask what the device is that is mounted to the left of your Simrad equipped rifle up there^?

Reactions: Squibbler
@WHBD why sure !!! that's a good ole HPR102 !!! :)

==

45833584574_2e1bb92e04_k.jpg

H = Heading = 244 (degrees) WSW (West South West)

P = Pitch = -26 (degrees) = 0.89 (cosine)

R = Roll = -1 (degrees)

==

Last summer I was looking around for night usable CANT and INCLINATION shooting aids ... and not finding much, other than the Accuracy First tritium bubble level ...
Also, in my BAE UTC-x display on the upper left ... there is an HPR display with the heading (azimuth) the pitch (in degrees) and the roll (in degrees) and I thought it would be cool to replicate that in a separate box, so it could be moved from rifle to rifle and used with devices which did not display that data to the shooter. Hence the idea for the HPR was born. A good buddy happens to be an amateur board guy and have several 3D Printers ... and he needed a project, so we got started. I'm a software guy for my day job, so I helped with the code. And the HPR102 is our second prototype.

Here's the HPR101, which was considerably smaller than the 102.

xmrvGcE.jpg

The 102 takes two c123 and the 101 takes only one. My spec said the unit should be able to run 24 hours at 70F (in the house) ... and the 101 could not. So the 102 doubled the batts. However, later we found why so much power was being used and the 103 will revert to one batt and be the size of the 101 again. So third prototype will be in my hands to test shortly. They are usable day and night and water proof and shock proof. I sold my barrett .50BMG ... so I will only be able to test up to .300WM ... but we designed it to be able to handle .50BMG.

I'm running a TVC3-4 and have both the BH55 and the leveling base with the ~4" handle on it. My primary predator rifle is a 243Ai that(with can, scope, clip on, full mag) weighs north of 20lbs.
I have found the same issue as you in that if I pan to the right, it locks up and to the left, it loosens. With practice and fast hands/feet, it can be worked around. Im still running it over the BH55 this year, due to the (slightly) increased rigidity of the leveling base as well as the (greatly) decreased weight. One thing that I've found to help, although tedious, is to coat all contact surfaces of the leveling base with dry teflon lube.
No issues running a spotter with either head.
I have considered an Anvil, but I'm waiting to try one out, which should be possible at the Eastern US Coyote Calling Contest in 2 wks.
Also, for whatever it's worth, I much much much prefer direct mounting to using a saddle whenever possible.

@wigwamitus may I ask what the device is that is mounted to the left of your Simrad equipped rifle up there^?

I also have used the same strategy. I lube my leveling base before use so it pans smooth. When hunting I don't place any tension (loosen up a full turn) on the level base and then grip the 4" handle to leverage and stabilize for shooting. Using this method I have found that I personally preferred the leveling base to the BH-55.

Now the Anvil might be a different story. Please let us know your thoughts when you get your hands on one. I'm definitely interested in this option too.

Based on conversation with @wigwamitus and Michael @rrs about my (mostly) hunting application, I'm going with the TFCT-24L with Anvil head for a rifle tripod solution. There's a good chance I get rid of the leveling-base on my 33 series and get another Anvil, FH, or Fluid-Gimbal for my Spotter 45.

Reactions: jordan0317
I think you will love the 24L w/Anvil. Good talking with you over the phone. Sorry I wasn't available to respond over the holidays.

A few things to answer, The Anvil -30 is retimeable. You asked earlier if it had a sweet spot. You can find/set/make a sweet spot on the low end or high end for whatever system you are using by watching the youtube video on how to retime.

A fluid head or fluid gimbal is very nice for spotting!! But super heavy so I wouldn't take that on a long hike. Now if I were going hunting with a person who only wanted to observer and help then so be it. They can carry that.

A lower cost method for you guys that want to pan easier while suing a leveling base is a simple part called an PC-LR, Link here. It works I just don't use leveling bases anymore now that something stronger is out.

The Bh-55 is a great ballhead and still sells awesome, but when you are adding all this weight on to your system you can start to see sag due to the height and neck of the bh-55, that type of leverage wasn't apart of the design brief for almost all of these ballheads people keep using.

The Universal leveling base is a pretty cool option as well. The butterfly style lever just has never meshed well with my like of ergonomics.

Bog Pod tripod, Pro camera adapter with a Pig or Hog saddle has worked for me, but my Rigs aren't over 15 pounds.
I'm getting back pains looking at the NV rigs posted here.

SJC

@WHBD why sure !!! that's a good ole HPR102 !!! :)

==

45833584574_2e1bb92e04_k.jpg

H = Heading = 244 (degrees) WSW (West South West)

P = Pitch = -26 (degrees) = 0.89 (cosine)

R = Roll = -1 (degrees)

==

Last summer I was looking around for night usable CANT and INCLINATION shooting aids ... and not finding much, other than the Accuracy First tritium bubble level ...
Also, in my BAE UTC-x display on the upper left ... there is an HPR display with the heading (azimuth) the pitch (in degrees) and the roll (in degrees) and I thought it would be cool to replicate that in a separate box, so it could be moved from rifle to rifle and used with devices which did not display that data to the shooter. Hence the idea for the HPR was born. A good buddy happens to be an amateur board guy and have several 3D Printers ... and he needed a project, so we got started. I'm a software guy for my day job, so I helped with the code. And the HPR102 is our second prototype.

Here's the HPR101, which was considerably smaller than the 102.

xmrvGcE.jpg

The 102 takes two c123 and the 101 takes only one. My spec said the unit should be able to run 24 hours at 70F (in the house) ... and the 101 could not. So the 102 doubled the batts. However, later we found why so much power was being used and the 103 will revert to one batt and be the size of the 101 again. So third prototype will be in my hands to test shortly. They are usable day and night and water proof and shock proof. I sold my barrett .50BMG ... so I will only be able to test up to .300WM ... but we designed it to be able to handle .50BMG.

@wigwamitus thank you very much! Genius! Ive been searching for the exact same sort of product, likewise with minimal success. Assuming you might market these eventually , but please let me know how much youd like for 102 once youve moved on to 103!

@Squibbler I will definitely share my thoughts on the Anvil. Ive had conversations with RRS's Michael and have been told that the Anvil is what I am seeking. I just dont want to switch up my setup until ive actually handled one.

Bog Pod tripod, Pro camera adapter with a Pig or Hog saddle has worked for me, but my Rigs aren't over 15 pounds.
I'm getting back pains looking at the NV rigs posted here.

SJC
@shoots100
All I can say, as someone who at one point thought a Bog Pod tripod and Triggersticks were the shiite, is dont try anything better. Youll stay happy, youll have more $ in your account, etc. Once you realize how much of an impact better legs/head have on your precision, it is a slippery slope. However, after deciding i wanted nice enough thermals/NV that i needed to get a side job to fuel my night hunting addiction, even the best tripod setup is less than a tenth of what the rest cost and it has been one of my least regrettable decisions. Make that zero regret.
Who wants to have a .25moa rifle that cannot be grouped less than 2-4moa once you leave the bench?

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
I still like trigger sticks for some purposes. There are situations in which MOBILITY is king. And there are situations when 2-4 MOA will get the job done. Then again, there are other situations when .75 to 1.5 MOA is necessary ... from a real tripod.

:)

Reactions: WHBD and Fongman
My HD bog pod setup has held my 50cal serbu semi for kill shots out to 600 yards with no problem and I have other bi pod set ups for steadier shooting too, I just don't like carrying them around.
The bog pod is my most used tripod, as I'm usually never in a stand location more than a 1/2 hr.
Most of my shots are at or under 100 yards, and my rifles will usually shoot 1 moa all day long at that range.
I'm not knocking your set ups, I'm just giving another option that has worked for me and for someone who doesn't own a bank.

SJC

Reactions: deersniper
I'm not knocking your set ups, I'm just giving another option that has worked for me and for someone who doesn't own a bank.

SJC

It can easily cost a small fortune to figure out what you don't like.

I have one of the bog-pod setups too. It's never been out of the sock it came in. I went to a mono-pod setup for the past year or two, mixing in the RRS TCV-33 with leveling base. They both have a purpose and I generally bring both with me. I have a feeling that when comparing the weight, panning features, tripod height, and compactness of the 24L and Anvil30, it will probably sunset my other tripod setups for 95% of what I do.

The 24L and Anvil30 setup should be hear sometime next week. Will give feedback compared to the TCV-33 and Leveling Base.

ive killed a shit ton of runners with a 20lb nv bolt rifle from a tvc-33 and leveling base. never found it to be an issue at all.

ive killed a shit ton of runners with a 20lb nv bolt rifle from a tvc-33 and leveling base. never found it to be an issue at all.

KSE, I can tell you, you'll be far more effective with the Anvil30. My 24L Anvil setup came in, and it makes for some incredibly smooth panning without the 'flip flop' side to side action that you get with a leveling base when it's too lose. Candidly, this head might be the last one I need to buy for my rifle mounted tripod setup.

I've also got a Fluid Head and Gimbal Fluid Head in hand from RRS. While I originally wanted something like this to shoot off of, I really don't see myself doing anything of the sort. Both of these solutions fit right in with my Spotter 45 smooth panning needs. I'm not ruling the Anvil out in this role, either.

Edit to add: This kit is going to make top 3 best acquisitions for 2019, and it's fucking January. Bold. I know.

Do you guys think changing o rings to different sizes or stiffness would affect the sweet spot much on anvil 30?

Go on the soar website, search for the Anvil-30 listing by itself, not included in the tripod but. Look at the bottom tabs and watch the video how to retime it. You can change the stiffness and zone to how you want it.

http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/Anvil-30-Ballhead

Here is the link I believe to the actual video:

That has helped a few people so far. We time it kinda tight from the shop.

Reactions: jordan0317
I retimed it and I like where it’s at. Do you think a different oring would change the feel? I’m thinking no after all since it actually tightens from those large threads. oring just keeps lever in one spot?

My HD bog pod setup has held my 50cal serbu semi for kill shots out to 600 yards with no problem and I have other bi pod set ups for steadier shooting too, I just don't like carrying them around.
The bog pod is my most used tripod, as I'm usually never in a stand location more than a 1/2 hr.
Most of my shots are at or under 100 yards, and my rifles will usually shoot 1 moa all day long at that range.

SJC
What were you killing with a 50 at 600? How’s the accuracy with that rifle? Thanks

It can easily cost a small fortune to figure out what you don't like.

I have one of the bog-pod setups too. It's never been out of the sock it came in. I went to a mono-pod setup for the past year or two, mixing in the RRS TCV-33 with leveling base. They both have a purpose and I generally bring both with me. I have a feeling that when comparing the weight, panning features, tripod height, and compactness of the 24L and Anvil30, it will probably sunset my other tripod setups for 95% of what I do.

The 24L and Anvil30 setup should be hear sometime next week. Will give feedback compared to the TCV-33 and Leveling Base.
How did the 2 set ups compare?

How did the 2 set ups compare?

Have two RRS with Anvil heads. Still best purchase of 2019, bar none.

Of the fluid heads, the FH350 was better for me. It’s not a necessity, but it does make scanning for animals quite a bit quicker. I still wouldn’t shoot off of it. The Anvil 30 is the ticket.

Have two RRS with Anvil heads. Still best purchase of 2019, bar none.

Of the fluid heads, the FH350 was better for me. It’s not a necessity, but it does make scanning for animals quite a bit quicker. I still wouldn’t shoot off of it. The Anvil 30 is the ticket.
Thank you I appreciate it. How did the 2 series compare to the 3 series. Is the reduction is size worth the reduction in stability? In other works for your use do you prefer the 2 or 3 series. Thank you.

... Have two RRS with Anvil heads ...

Ditto, added a second RRS with Anvil head in 2019.

But also re-headed (with a new 322rc2) one of three manfrotto m190/m055 ... two of these will be m055/322rc2 and the m190 will become a spotter tripod.

And still have a primo 3 leg and a primo 1 leg as required.

Thank you I appreciate it. How did the 2 series compare to the 3 series. Is the reduction is size worth the reduction in stability? In other works for your use do you prefer the 2 or 3 series. Thank you.

The 33 is rock solid, but sort of overkill for night hunting where shots on average are less than 150 yards. Mostly inside 100.

Even for LR use, the 24L continues to be my go too. If I could do it over, a pair of 24Ls is where it’s at.

I use an older 24 with a levell8ng base pre series2, to be honest used a lot tripods over the years and none compare. I use my 24 and levelling base for hunting a lot, compact, height is about 50, works great for me. As for a reduction in stability I don't see any to be honest. With regards 2 and 3 series a lot has to do with height and what you want to use it for .

For shooting off of it’s hard to beat a Really right stuff 34L with a BH55

Attachments

• A366EA1D-F6F6-4D33-8C11-EE3119989602.jpeg
    A366EA1D-F6F6-4D33-8C11-EE3119989602.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 91