• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night Vision Clip On for Hensoldt 60 Spotter

the_oleksandr

Fortis fortuna adiuvat 🔱
Supporter
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
California
Looking to consider a clip on night vision device to go in front of the Hensoldt 60. Plenty of rail space available. To work in conjunction with a Illuminator.

The CNVD is a bit magnification limited. 27 will be better on the spotter for sure. I have one of each, I only use the 27 on the spotter

Reactions: MSTN
I used a PVS 27 in front of my Spotter 60. Was considering trying a CNVD-LR myself, but was concerned about the magnification limits too. I know a PVS 27 will work.

Couldn’t find any PVS-27 with L3 WP. Reached out to SureShot. We’ll see.

Meanwhile acquired a CNVD-LR, and will test it with the Henny 60.

My original plan was to keep the CNVD-LR for the weapon and find a PVS-27 for the spotter.

But I was advised that CNVD-LR is not designed for .338 recoil (although L3 spec sheet says that it’s designed for “higher caliber weapons and snipers©”) , so I’ll think what to do there.

Reactions: Eliteuas
Jay at SureShot is a great guy. He’ll give you good advice. If he has a PVS-27, he’ll take care of you. If not, watch the for sale section. You will see green ones occasionally. You can get one and send to Jay.

CWJ

There is a green one out there tight now…it seems to still be available. Want to see what SureShot says first…maybe they have a built one

FYI: Our mutual Ukrainian buddy in Portland is the new owner of my 2800 FOM L3 WP PVS-27.

You should hookup with him and see how it works.

First off I will note that the spotter 60 is not ideal for a clip on as I have found 20x mag to be too much for even the best white tube devices. I have a Spotter 45 and most of the time even 15x is too much, especially for scanning.

The PVS-24 has the smallest objective lens, and its performance shows that. It is also only rated for .308 which doesn’t include a SCAR. A re-tubed PVS-27 will give you the best image since it has the biggest lens. But as mentioned above, Jay only guarantees them on .308 since that’s what he test shoots them with. I’ll let him correct if that has changed.

So for a .338 you need a factory 27 or 30. I have only seen one factory white 27, while you can still get factory white 30s. That being said, most of the green ones still perform well enough. I personally have a 24 and re-tubed 27, and have compared them to just a bout every other combo including a re-tubed 30. While the improvement is noticeable and I am glad I did it, I have not found it to significantly increase the capability of the device. For example I have been trying to get to 1,200yards at night, but couldn’t make out the target well though. After the re-tube, I still couldn’t make it out… For a step function change we had to switch to thermal as in this scenario we were beyond the capability of night vision.

We've had surprisingly good luck with an extremely high spec pvs 14 behind a Leupold mk4 spotter (good enough to spot 5.56 splash at 650 yards). Might be worth trying out if you have a 14 handy. Makes for a much more manageable package than the spotter with clipon in front, plus significantly less expensive. I'm not sure how it'll work with the Spotter 60, but I have to imagine it'll be better than the Leupold if anything. Good supplemental IR lighting helps as well.

I often use a 14 behind the Leupold with the Badger Ordnance SNAP. if you can use an illuminator it work just fine, much simpler setup that a clip on. I will also use a 14 on the Vector, at 7x it's a fine spotter/LRF combo. Don't neglect the use of a 3x or 5x lens on the 14, I will make up a 3x bino using bridged 14's as well, works quite nicely.

• Love
I often use a 14 behind the Leupold with the Badger Ordnance SNAP. if you can use an illuminator it work just fine, much simpler setup that a clip on. I will also use a 14 on the Vector, at 7x it's a fine spotter/LRF combo. Don't neglect the use of a 3x or 5x lens on the 14, I will make up a 3x bino using bridged 14's as well, works quite nicely.
Picture, Cory?

14's as a set of 3x binos on an RQE bridge mount
IMG_0722.JPG

The same 14's set as a 7x rangefinder bino via the Vector IV set to night mode, using the standard PVS-14 mount along with a MonoLoc to stabilize the setup.
IMG_0723.JPG