• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night Vision Goggle Suggestions $10k-$12k Budget

GriffSniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the whole night vision game and as such I've been doing a lot of research online. I've got about $10k-$12k to spend on a good night vision binocular setup and I wanted to get some advice from guys who know all about it. These will be helmet mounted (already have team wendy ballistic exfil) and will be used primarily for hunting at night as well as training. Based on what I've read, there seems to be a lot of talk on DTNVD, PVS15, RNVD and PVS31A. I've tried a few times to get in touch with the people at TNVC but haven't heard back from them yet. Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds like I want to go with white phosphorus unfilmed as it seems to perform the best. I absolutely don't need to spend my full budget, but I live by the buy once cry once philosophy so I want to make sure I get a quality unit that can take a beating as this unit WILL BE USED quite a bit. What's your advice? What would you spend my budget on? Thanks!

OP, thank for the consideration. Please don't hesitate to PM me. I give my cell out a lot around here. Even if you purchase somewhere elese, be happy to educate the best I can to assist with the high dollar purchase.

Jay (Sureshot) is also a good source for NV here as well.

We build all in-house and have 10 year tube and lifetime system housing. We also give discounts to Hide members as well.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the filmless white phosphor DTNVG/DTNVS from TNVC right now which runs about 10k. Let me know about other similar quality options that I should consider.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the filmless white phosphor DTNVG/DTNVS from TNVC right now which runs about 10k. Let me know about other similar quality options that I should consider.
Many consider the NVD BNVD UL to be a better built, more durable and refined system than the DTNVG. If I was considering a nice set of Binos I would also reach out to JRH Enterprises. Lowdown 3 here on the Hide. Robert is excellent to deal with. These units also carry a solid 10 year warranty from Night Vision Devices which is one of the premier long standing manufacturers.

Many consider the NVD BNVD UL to be a better built, more durable and refined system than the DTNVG. If I was considering a nice set of Binos I would also reach out to JRH Enterprises. Lowdown 3 here on the Hide. Robert is excellent to deal with. These units also carry a solid 10 year warranty from Night Vision Devices which is one of the premier long standing manufacturers.
What's your opinion on how well built the BNVD non-UL is compared to the UL?

What's your opinion on how well built the BNVD non-UL is compared to the UL?
The regular BNVD is a very well built solid unit that is pretty light. The UL is a more refined lighter version IMHO.

They are both very solid equipment.

The regular BNVD is a very well built solid unit that is pretty light. The UL is a more refined lighter version IMHO.

Any takes on the Armasight/Flir BNVD-51's? Don't see much out there on them, and I guess they are recently discontinued?

Any takes on the Armasight/Flir BNVD-51's? Don't see much out there on them, and I guess they are recently discontinued?
There is a reason you don't see much about them. I would stay away from those for sure.

I'm super interested in getting the BNVD conversion from NVD since I have 2 x 14's. The polymer lens on the UL's turn me off.

I am not an expert on the lens by any means, but my understanding is that all NV lenses have some polymer in them. I think most of them have some glass on the outside for wear resistance and the rest is made up of polymer. Or some are made like a sandwich. I think glass -polymer - glass.

NVD has been building systems a long long time and are top of the line. The UL is one of their premier systems so I doubt there would be any cutting corners on optics. In fact I would suspect they have some of the better optics in them.

Also, importantly NVD is ISO 9001 Certified which not many builders/manufacturers are so that tells you their facilities and people are highly rated to get that accreditation.

Last edited:
Hm I’ll call and ask. My concern with polymer is if it’s the outer ocular lens. I want to be able to finger wipe it without worry

An arfcomer posted a review earlier this year that was a home brew (I believe they're a builder) and posted good results. But going back to the thread they literally deleted the entire review, just the thread is still there. The first few posts by the op are blank...

TFB nick reviewed them and stated smaller eyebox and a weird lasso affect around lights.

Sig academy apparently had some kind of contract with flir to run these as loaners for their nvg course. So are they unusable hot trash, no. Does it seem like people buying their own prefer other alternatives cuz they may be hot trash, yes.

Reactions: Blackhalo
An arfcomer posted a review earlier this year that was a home brew (I believe they're a builder) and posted good results. But going back to the thread they literally deleted the entire review, just the thread is still there. The first few posts by the op are blank...

TFB nick reviewed them and stated smaller eyebox and a weird lasso affect around lights.

Sig academy apparently had some kind of contract with flir to run these as loaners for their nvg course. So are they unusable hot trash, no. Does it seem like people buying their own prefer other alternatives cuz they may be hot trash, yes.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I'll just start a new thread with the options I'm considering. I've hijacked this one enough.

What is the difference between PVS-31A's and 31C's?

There's a thread about the 31c recently and explained it. In short 31A is mil contract desig for L3 binos. 31c made in Canada by different manufacturer using 31 name to gain prominence.

Yeah their commercially available as the F5032, the housing is made by Theon sensors in greece and elbit supplies tubes and build them up for the contract with a weight around 17-18ozish.

Like I originally said, later this year the revised NVD mini b and Noctis BNVD should be out. Both should be around the weight of the 31A at 16oz with adjustable diopter and on board ir (debated feature in some circles but nice to have).

What is the difference between PVS-31A's and 31C's?
It is a complete different bino but also has L3 tubes. It has aluminum housing, Lemo port, stow safety,pods turn off when articulated, Illuminator, etc...
Total comes in at 23oz

Reactions: TheHorta