• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night Vision Goggles

titus7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Ridgecrest, California
I am contemplating buying some night vision goggles, and was wandering what the best thing out there right now that I can get for around 10k-ish? Any input, pics, reviews from people who have used them is appreciated.

Here are the ones that I am looking at but not stone set on them.
Night Vision Binoculars

Re: Night Vision Goggles

Hi, I would also take a serious look at the BNVD's. http://tnvc.com/shop/bnvd-g-binocular-night-vision-device-w-gain-control-gen3-pinnacle/ One of the most robust systems out there with the true ability to swing one or both housings out of the way to wear like a PVS-14 if needed.

The unit also is equipped with one of the best on-board focusable IR illuminator with an effective range out to 70 yards.

There is one other goggle system coming out we've been testing called the Sentinal you can see our review. This is shaping up to be another piece of impressive kit. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3663471#Post3663471

Give us a call Friday if you wish to discuss the multitude of options. You can also read all the reviews we do on our web site that gives a good review for most. Thank you.

Vic

Question for you, Are you completely wedded to dedicated Dual tubes? There are several systems coming that put Monoculars together into Binoculars. these will have a versatile advantage over the Dedicated Systems and what we are going to offer will be something that is collimated so that each tube's optical path will be aligned. these systems (assuming your using two $3400 PVS 14s) will be in the $7500Kish range.

In Pure Dedicated systems I agree, the BNVDs are the best developed dual tube systems on the planet. My partner likes the PVS15, I like the BNVD. One advantage of the BNVD is they are available in a variable gain model, the BNVD-G. If you not in a super Hurry there is a new version of the BNVD-G coming out that has a single gain Knob. One other advantage for the BNVD is we build a geometry correction mounting block that will get the BNVDs closer to your eyes, and we can get BNVDs built with whatever tubes you would like!

The arguments for the BEST tube will run hot and heavy but for a dedicated system I would recommend L3 Filmless tubes over the ITT Pinnacle tubes. Low light performance and highlight performance will exceed the ITT tubes. I make this recommendation owning and using both ITT tubed BNVDs and a set of Rock Star Performing PVS 15s with REAL L3 Infinity tubes. I had to prepay and wait months for, the Infinity tubes.

I'm not locked in on anything yet I'm just slowly starting to learn and look but for me and my budget, I want and can only buy once so I want the best I can get in my price range. I do like the idea of being able to separate them. So if I get ones that separate I can get another head mount for my wife and I to be able to run monoculars, correct? And then when she isn't with me I can run them as duals? If I'm understanding that correctly then that is even better because I was looking to buy goggles for me and a monocular for her a couple of months later.

Will you guys have the latest at SHOT in Jan and how far out are we talking as far as availability? I would really like to have something in the next couple of months.

And thank-you to both of you for the responses and help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not locked in on anything yet I'm just slowly starting to learn and look but for me and my budget, I want and can only buy once so I want the best I can get in my price range. I do like the idea of being able to separate them. So if I get ones that separate I can get another head mount for my wife and I to be able to run monoculars, correct? And then when she isn't with me I can run them as duals? If I'm understanding that correctly then that is even better because I was looking to buy goggles for me and a monocular for her a couple of months later.
</div></div>

Yes this is exactly correct. The mount that is coming will allow for instantaneous removal of the monocular (ideally a PVS 14) and allow for again Instantaneous weapons mounting and then, back to your head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you guys have the latest at SHOT in Jan and how far out are we talking as far as availability? I would really like to have something in the next couple of months.

And thank-you to both of you for the responses and help </div></div>

Yes these will be a shot show, and available thereafter.

I would look at the BNVD and new sentinel google. I am running film less anvis-9 right now love them the performance is flat out awesome even on dark nights but will admit a more hardened ground dual system would be ideal in rough conditions. I don't plan to sale my 9s they aren't built cheap by any means and should last me many many years as I take good care of my gear plus are lite weight and have great balance on my helmet. ISPC guy is right the film less tubes are wonderful performance wise but the ITT pinnacles are great also so either tube type will serve you very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phantom223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look at the BNVD and new sentinel google. I am running film less anvis-9 right now love them the performance is flat out awesome even on dark nights but will admit a more hardened ground dual system would be ideal in rough conditions. I don't plan to sale my 9s they aren't built cheap by any means and should last me many many years as I take good care of my gear plus are lite weight and have great balance on my helmet. ISPC guy is right the film less tubes are wonderful performance wise but the ITT pinnacles are great also so either tube type will serve you very well. </div></div>

Some GOOD news for ANVIS system owners! We are about to release an UP Armor kit that strengthens the ANVIS PAS bridge. I will try and get some teaser pics of the prototype, up this weekend. We are working on a whole ANVIS improvement program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if u had to pick only one which would you guys pick the sentinel or the bnvd? </div></div>

BNVD over Sentinel. The Interpupillary adjustment on the BNVD swings as opposed to the ANVIS style adjustment of the Sentinel. This Swinging action allows you to rotate one mono up out of the way. This is HUGE!

What do you guys think of the AN/PSQ-20 DSNVG do they compare to what we have already been discussing. I can't find a price anywhere but they look pretty impressive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think of the AN/PSQ-20 DSNVG do they compare to what we have already been discussing. I can't find a price anywhere but they look pretty impressive </div></div>

They are in the $14,000 range but are still restricted from open Civilian Sales. They are a pretty cool fuzed Thermal and Night Vision system. In addition the set up is a Monocular.

I will be posting a review of the COTI clip on system for a "poor mans" fuzed system here shortly.

Ah ok. Well has the price of the AN/PVS-21 LPNVG dropped any? I know a couple of years ago they were running somewhere around 20k? Also how do they compare to other goggles? And last but not least how do the PVS-14s do behind an Aimpoint T1? I keep reading mixed reviews that for night vision the Eotech's seemed to give you a better sight picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah ok. Well has the price of the AN/PVS-21 LPNVG dropped any? I know a couple of years ago they were running somewhere around 20k? Also how do they compare to other goggles? And last but not least how do the PVS-14s do behind an Aimpoint T1? I keep reading mixed reviews that for night vision the Eotech's seemed to give you a better sight picture. </div></div>

PVS-21's are in a league of their own due to the fact you're not ever looking into a intensifier tube, but rather into a clear piece of glass with a NV image basically overlaid onto it. There is no depth perception limitation at all and walking from lighted environments into dark environments is where the 21's shine incredibly well. I also like the HUD features that allow other video and signal sources to be overlaid over one of the EP's. I wear these units constantly and enjoy the freedom they offer.

PVS-14 are OK (some body housing obstruction) with a T1 except when using a PVS-14 3x magnifier which can cause some POA/POI issues due to lens differential sizes and F/Stops between the two. EO's do have better FOV at night with a 14 behind it.

With that said, I still like the AP's for LE work especially that the unit does not auto shut down after 8 hours along with the 50K batt. life on the T1's and 70K on the M4's.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Vic

Thanks Again Vic for the reply! Ill see ya in a couple of weeks. Are you guys going to have your entire line at the show?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Again Vic for the reply! Ill see ya in a couple of weeks. Are you guys going to have your entire line at the show? </div></div>

You bet, our entire TNV line will be there along with a few other surprises we're announcing. There is also a SF shoot we're a big part of again this year with some very cool night ops. It's a closed event, but all the adult toys are out there.
grin.gif

Looking fwd to seeing you and the rest who can make it out to our booth. Always great to place the user names to the faces and shake a few hands.
smile.gif

Vic