• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision night vision help and ????'s

kylongshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2006
owensboro,kentucky
id like to buy something i could scout fields with. (deer,coyotes,foxes) we cant use lights here so id like to have a nv piece that is good clarity and hopeful to see maybe 300 yards WITHOUT breaking the bank!
i know ill prob need a illuminator too

Re: night vision help and ????'s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Bushnell Stealth View. On some nights I have been able to see well over 200 yards with this unit. Also, this is a digital unit so you will not have to worry about damaging the intensifier tube by exposing it to excessive light.

Chase B.
</div></div>

A Bushnell Stealthview is not really useful for spotting something like that over 100m. At 100m? It's pretty useful but no more than a good Gen1 and it's way overpriced and eats batteries. I have one.

For spotting? If you want to get a really good spotting scope, then make your own with a cascade tube. Or take a look at a Zeiss Orion which are cheap at the moment.

But for serious use? I'd recommend a PVS-14... You can get a 3x and 5x lens for them, but they are not cheap.

If you want to shoot? I'd say go the D740...

Regards
David

kylongshot,

I'm lucky enough to sell, use, and train with a variety of NV devices from various manufacturers, ATN, USNV, Morovision, Yukon (Pulsar), Bushnell. One thing I've learned about night vision devices and manufacturers is that what I notice from using them to what they are marketed for can be very off. Most manufacturers claim to have a recognition/dectection range of much further than I notice. Sure, you can take a gen 1 device and at 200 yards on a starry night with a moon see an object (deer, dog, hog) running. Now realitically, a gen 1 device will give you adequate recognition with good ambient conditions at 100 yards and in. Now one of may favorite monoculars for a good price is the Yukon Digital Night ranger. I would take this unit over ANY gen 1 device. I've used this guy and recognized a raccoon walking through brush at just over 100 yards. Thats a pretty small object for a $400 unit at 100 yards. This is realistic. I also recognized a man and his body movements, arms moving and walking and even that he had a hat on, at around 150 yards with the ranger. Thats about the limit though. To get over the 200 yard mark you are certainly looking at nice gen 2 units and for the 300 yards mark definitely gen 3 units. Everybody claims theirs is the best, but its good to look at who made the intensifier tube, which is 80% of the unit. ITT makes most of them and the same generations will be similar between manufacturers. I've actually been working with a group of customers who purchased some Mars4x scopes from ATN in gen 3A (just a hand picked tube) who said they scouted hogs out to over 400 yards from movement and recognized them at 300 yards and could tell the sizes between them and took shots and had kills at over 300 yards!

Back to point, to get over the 200 yard mark you're looking to spend close to $1600-$2000+. 300 yards closer to $2200-$2500+. A nice digital unit like the Ranger would be a good choice out to the 150 yards mark or so.

Trevor B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cj7hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Bushnell Stealth View. On some nights I have been able to see well over 200 yards with this unit. Also, this is a digital unit so you will not have to worry about damaging the intensifier tube by exposing it to excessive light.

Chase B.
</div></div>

A Bushnell Stealthview is not really useful for spotting something like that over 100m. At 100m? It's pretty useful but no more than a good Gen1 and it's way overpriced and eats batteries. I have one.

For spotting? If you want to get a really good spotting scope, then make your own with a cascade tube. Or take a look at a Zeiss Orion which are cheap at the moment.

But for serious use? I'd recommend a PVS-14... You can get a 3x and 5x lens for them, but they are not cheap.

If you want to shoot? I'd say go the D740...

Regards
David

</div></div>

A key point to remember about night vision is that is still requires light; whether it be from the moon, stars, IR...

While in the U.S. Army I was issued a generation 3 PVS-14. On nights with a quarter moon I could clearly see out to 400 yards! And then on a moonless night I was only able to see 200 yards! Same unit...Different ambient lighting conditions.

Chase B.

ive always been told to stay away from ATN, i could prob spend 2k for something that would do the job for me

Did somebody say ATN ?? I am in !! My old Night Shadow now doubles as my boat anchor after it broke in half.

This should be entertaining and one of my favorite topics.

That guy by the name of Dino1130 has a long history with ATN. I love to see those night vision photos with guys wearing sunglasses at night in ATN ads.

Photoshopping with ATN ads is rampant. Cheap Gen 1 is as useful as smearing Vaseline on the bottom of a green beer bottle and looking through it. Digital ?? Not a whole bunch better.

Cj7Hawk is spot on.I just hope he is in a merciful mood. LOL

My apologies for dropping the ball over here. I am back in the game !!

Trevor ?? You ready for the pain and education ? It is coming !!

LoL!... I don't really hate ATN at all. I just have a problem with the support they show their customers and the misleading advertising with faked images that they are reknown for using. I've spoken to too many of their victims to be a fan and it's only fair to say the housing is worth 20% of the weighting if you understand the tube and with ATN, they should know better but they mislead their customers a lot.

OK, yes I agree. Time to make sure the people on SH realize the truth about NV. It's not a bunch of boyscouts here out looking for wildlife. Some of these peope risk their lives and depend on their equipment. NV is life-support gear for the professional shooter in many cases and misunderstanding it is going to get people killed.

ATN have a poor reputation and unless you're just a backyard shooter and the integrity of your equipment doesn't matter, I'd stay away from them. The combination of poor quality control and lack of support for their victims is pretty devastating to those unfortunate enough to get caught out. I'm not saying that all of their equipment is junk or anything, because I've also heard from people who never had a problem. But as they say, Caveat Emptor.

Now, onto the harder stuff. Perhaps it's time to cycle a few articles though the 'Hide to provide a basis for understanding technology but for this post, I'm going to stick to the questions posed by the original poster and explain a few things.

First... In the context of Gen1/Digital vs Gen2 and Gen3. What is the real difference? First, it's possible to get digital and Gen1 that has higher MTF, S/N, Resolution etc than any Gen2 or Gen3. I personally have a Gen1 tube with a resolution well over 100 lp/mm... So why is there such a big gap between Gen1 and Gen2?

The answer is GAIN. Because for Night Vision at this level, this is the single most important feature to understand. NODs ( Night Observation Devices ) will take an image formed on the photocathode of the tube and create a brighter image on the screen of the tube. Now people who have used Gen1 and Digital together with Gen2 and Gen3 under truly dark conditions will understand this instinctively but those who use Gen1 under moonlight will not. The reason is because Gen1 devices have a tube gain that is typically aroung 300... So the amount of light that comes in is amplified 300 times before it comes out. There are some losses with the lenses and the system gain is lower than this, but that's how it works.

However Gen2 and Gen3 devices amplify this light around 30,000 times. That's right. Thirty Thousand times. That's 100x more amplification than a Gen1 tube can provide. Gen2 and Gen3 have special microchannel plates inside that amplify the signal substantially.

You see, back in the days of WW2, they had Night Vision. In fact, the US army were the first military to actively use it and it was devastatingly effective against the Japanese on Iwo Jima. But it had a few problems, like needing a set of IR lights that were so large, they were fixed to a truck.

They refer to that as Gen0, though that's a title it's been given more recently. Then later ( around the Korean war era ) they brought out Gen1, which was better, but only worked in bright moonlight. Without this it needed a VERY good illuminator. These two modes of operation are known as "Passive" and "Active". Active night vision has the illuminator and it's basically like an invisible torch. Passive means that it uses ambient light.

Now the US army did get clever. They always knew active ( or Gen0/1) night vision wasn't much good against an enemy with Night Vision because it was like holding up a big neon sign saying "I am an American soldier. Please shoot me."

So they put three Gen1 tubes together and created a cascade tube. These multipled the gain and with losses it was still pretty spectacular. Interesting fact - the best cascade tubes made by the british still outperform many early Gen3 devices... However these are VERY large and VERY heavy.

So they invented the Gen2 tube and Gen2 and Gen3 are pretty close for this argument, so I'll go into that in another article.

Anyway, the difference? Gen2/3 can see under ambient STARLIGHT... So when Gen1 goes completely dark, Gen2/3 can still see very very well. In fact, the Human Eye can see better than Gen1. That's right. On the nights that you can't use Gen1, you can still see better with your own unaided eyes. I can't tell you how frustrating this is if you've just purchased a brand new Gen1 and you discover you can see better without it on when there's not much moon around.

I'm also going to lump ALL CURRENT COMMERCIAL DIGITAL in with Gen1, because in testing, that's the sort of performance it gives gain-wise, which is pretty critical.

Now if you're a soldier, police officer, ranger, government employee or professional user of Night Vision, there's not much choice. It's Gen2/3 or nothing... But what if you're not?

Well, keep in mind that you can only see as far as your IR spotlight goes. So it's basically like shooting with a spotlight. You can't see what's past your shooting range, it's no use to you in SHTF scenarios ( because people can see IR spotlights ) and guess what? Animals can see it too. In the UK where the lack of Gen2 and Gen3 at reasonable prices makes Gen1 a must-have, they use extra IR and even have stuff like high powered IR lasers which US citizens are not permitted to own, import or buy. And they find that the animals eventually figure out the danger and can see the red dot of the illuminator. It's still more effective than spotlighting or lamping, but it's not perfect.

Also, the illuminators use a LOT of batteries, so if you're just going out shooting once in a while with a LOT of preparation, they are fine, but if you're on an extended trip or use it regularly, you're going to have a problem. Some people use illuminators with Gen2/3 as well, but remember they amplify light 100x more so they use just 1% of the power for the same illumination. And digital use even more batteries, so be prepared to put 8 new alkaline AA batteries in your digital every night and use it for less than an hour.

By comparison, modern Gen3 use 1 x AA battery and run continuously for 40 hours.

Now, I am not against Gen1 *or* Digital. Indeed, I still have them and still research them. However my experience with a Bushnell Stealthview, which works very well due to the VERY good illuminator built in, however even against a large fox, while I could spot it out to 150m and maybe a little further, it had to get into range at about 100m before I could indentify it. Maybe that would be further under a full moon, but I rarely go shooting under a full moon.

Furthermore, I want my equipment to work whatever night I need it, no just when I don't need it.

These are REALLY important considerations for anyone purchasing Gen1. Gen1 and Digital have their place, but in my opinion, it's not for the professional. People who have seen Gen2 and Gen1 together on a dark night will usually never touch Gen1 again. Night Vision should be useable at all times and needing an illuminator makes that problematic. Many Gen3 shooters don't use an illuminator because they don't need to, though it does make spotting eyeshine easier.

Also important is that you can't see past your spotlight, so the overshoot area being unseen is a big problem for me. I like to know exactly where I am when I am shooting and what is beyond my shooting area. Bullets travel way past 100m.

But no matter what, there's nothing you can do about the low gain of both Gen1 and Digital. Manufacturer ratings like "Detection Range" and "Recognition Range" are difficult for most people to understand and to be honest, have more to do with technical parameters of the system such as system resolution and MTF. They are no use for normal people to work out how far they can use their NV gear.

So I think it's really important to qualify what is going on. When those around here say "Gen1 sucks" they do so because they know from experience that most of the time it is not sufficient for most purposes under which you need night vision. They are not being bigotted - they are just demonstrating experience.

Peope will still buy Gen1 and Digital, but they will usually find it lets them down or doesn't work as they expected it to.

The truth is, serious night vision needs a budget of around $2000... Digital and Gen1 really is not a "cheap" way in because it doesn't do the job. It's like saying a cheap plastic hammer is sufficient if you can't afford a metal one.

Anyway, I think it's important for new purchasers to fully understand. I'll write up an article in the main forum on Gen1 vs Digital vs Gen2/3... Time to pull out the old images again and post them up
smile.gif

Regards
David.

Warned ya Trevor !! You will lose and get beat into the ground. Many guys here have no clue but MANY do !!! Ya Ready??? Let's get it on !! LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Oh my, there's a train-wreck ahead.. I can't watch!!!" </div></div>

I predict he will disappear. I hope he does not as it WILL be fun !! The Trevor smack down will be epic to say the least. Buy decent night vision and stay away from ANYTHING ATN !!!

ATN is Russian garbage and if OPTICS PLANET stands behind these fools then shame on them.

I suppose ATN has its own niche market amongst the Bass Pro Shops crowd who want an entrance into the NV world on a budget. My advice would be that if no one is currently shooting at you, these items shoud be classified as a "want" as opposed to a "need". That said, take your time, do your homework, save your dough and buy the best you can afford. I guess thats just not the "American Way" anymore! On a side note, I went to the aforementioned store the other day to nose through the ammunition and asked the friendly salesperson if they carried Black Hills Ammunition and he replied, "Whats that?" I think ATN would fit in quite nicely in their catalogue!

Trevor ?? I am lonely. Come talk to me !!!

Omegaman,

If you would like to chat, feel free to give me a call. 800-504-5897 x234. I would gladly talk to any member about my experiences with any of the units I have worked with. As I said, I have been lucky to use and train with multiple manufactures, ATN, USNV, Morovision, (ITT) and others. What seems to be lost here is that certain customers sometimes only have $200-$400 and they would like to use night vision and start with something more basic. There are pros and cons to any unit, gen I or digital. Its finding out the customers/users needs and wants that can determine the appropriate unit. Truly, feel free to give me a call if you'd like.

Trevor B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">id like to buy something i could scout fields with. (deer,coyotes,foxes) we cant use lights here so id like to have a nv piece that is good clarity and hopeful to see maybe 300 yards WITHOUT breaking the bank!
i know ill prob need a illuminator too </div></div>

whats your budget? i've used the LGND3SZ for a few years now, and i like it for a budget option. as for nightvision, i don't recommend anything below gen 3, i just haven't found that the gen 1 and gen 2 stuff work well enough to justify bothering with thst crap, i'd just save and get something decent. knowing what your doing would also help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Omegaman,

If you would like to chat, feel free to give me a call. 800-504-5897 x234. I would gladly talk to any member about my experiences with any of the units I have worked with. As I said, I have been lucky to use and train with multiple manufactures, ATN, USNV, Morovision, (ITT) and others. What seems to be lost here is that certain customers sometimes only have $200-$400 and they would like to use night vision and start with something more basic. There are pros and cons to any unit, gen I or digital. Its finding out the customers/users needs and wants that can determine the appropriate unit. Truly, feel free to give me a call if you'd like.

Trevor B. </div></div>

I also have used night vision of all types. In fact my main interest is in buying broken gear and repairing it. It is what I do for fun and a hobby.

I have went through hundreds of scopes and regularly swap tubes and/or fix broken parts. The main goal was to gain experience and in the process I found I can make a few bucks to finance my hobby.

I don't work for ANY night vision dealer and have 0 financial interest. That is why people trust what I tell them because it comes from the heart and is the truth.

$200 to $400 budget ? Not enough for anything decent but you can go plink some rats or bunnies with a good illuminator. I am glad you guys are here, just make sure the truth is told at ALL times or the pictures and proof will fly. I am better known as Dino1130 on most forums.

If we all stick to the truth and facts I believe everyone will get along just fine. I am no fan of Gen 1 or digital unless it is a cascade Gen 1. That is the ONLY Gen 1 tube that has ever impressed me. The rest are toys best sold to Boy Scouts. Not serious shooters.

Good day sir, Dino

One brand I never buy ?? ATN. I have A LOT of stories to share. Just ask me.

You know, on thinking of this, I realize that sometimes people only have $200 or $400, but often they don't understand the gulf between Gen1 and Gen2/3...

It is possible to build a capable spotter DIY for that kind of money though, with surplus cascade tubes.

But often when the real needs are determined, people re-adjust their budget.

For those who are genuinely unable to adjust their budget however, patience is the best attribute. Given time, budgets will increase slightly and great deals do come up. Gen2 and 3 even under $1000 is not unheard of and if someone has spend all their cash on Gen1, they will miss out when the really great deals come along.

My advice? If the budget is really that limited and the user is shooting more than mice and small pests up close, then wait and learn and look. You'll be surprised at what comes up on Ebay.

LoL! I remember when a well known member of these and other forums wasn't so well known and he almost couldn't give away good Gen3... IIRC, he ended up selling top-level Gen3's for around $700 each at the time and Gen2's for a few hundred.

Patience is a virtue, especially in the NV world. Christmas is tempting, but taking longer shots in starlight is worth waiting for
smile.gif

Regards
David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The truth is, serious night vision needs a budget of around $2000... Digital and Gen1 really is not a "cheap" way in because it doesn't do the job. It's like saying a cheap plastic hammer is sufficient if you can't afford a metal one.
</div></div>

I find this to be the most ignorant comment I've seen on this forum. Plastic hammer to metal one...

I have a Z06 Corvette, by your philosophy, I should have waited and saved $40,000 more to get a ZR1, right? The ZR1 is far superior in every way and I'm sure if I drove a ZR1 I would certainly see how and why its better. OF COURSE IT IS. Certainly, price reflects quality with most things, especially in optics. I didnt want to spend $100,000 on a car, I was and still am very happy with my Z06 for $55,000. It filled my needs, but of course there are better options. I don't mean to sound rude but you are telling people here that you need to spend $2,000 to be serious even if all they want is a simple unit to go camping with. I have the pulsar recon, $550, I've had more fun with this unit and its done for me everything I wanted it to...which is 50-75 yards in brush and woods viewing any little creatures out there. thats all I wanted it to do and it does it very well. I didnt want to spend any more, so I am very happy with my $550 unit.

Please take away from this is that some of us dont want to spend money on the higher quality items if we don't need those capabilities. I know the $3000 PVS14 is much better and would blow my mind, but I dont need to see 200 yards and certainly don't want to spend $3000 on something I use a few times a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5thDaNang69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The truth is, serious night vision needs a budget of around $2000... Digital and Gen1 really is not a "cheap" way in because it doesn't do the job. It's like saying a cheap plastic hammer is sufficient if you can't afford a metal one.
</div></div>

I find this to be the most ignorant comment I've seen on this forum. Plastic hammer to metal one...

I have a Z06 Corvette, by your philosophy, I should have waited and saved $40,000 more to get a ZR1, right? The ZR1 is far superior in every way and I'm sure if I drove a ZR1 I would certainly see how and why its better. OF COURSE IT IS. Certainly, price reflects quality with most things, especially in optics. I didnt want to spend $100,000 on a car, I was and still am very happy with my Z06 for $55,000. It filled my needs, but of course there are better options. I don't mean to sound rude but you are telling people here that you need to spend $2,000 to be serious even if all they want is a simple unit to go camping with. I have the pulsar recon, $550, I've had more fun with this unit and its done for me everything I wanted it to...which is 50-75 yards in brush and woods viewing any little creatures out there. thats all I wanted it to do and it does it very well. I didnt want to spend any more, so I am very happy with my $550 unit.

Please take away from this is that some of us dont want to spend money on the higher quality items if we don't need those capabilities. I know the $3000 PVS14 is much better and would blow my mind, but I dont need to see 200 yards and certainly don't want to spend $3000 on something I use a few times a year. </div></div>

The most ignorant comment you've ever seen on this forum??? Thats quite a grandiose assertion for someone who has made a whopping 3 posts in the full 24 hours of membership to this forum. If you wish to see ignorant, look no further than a few of my posts! First of all Mr. DaNang, the OP's topic was NV for use at THREE HUNDRED YARDS!!! Now I won't go so far as to call you ingnorant, I'll just state that you are "willfully unobservant". Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but Mr. DaNang used the word "I" or it's proper functionaries a total of 20 times in that short little blurb about his Corvette and his camping preferences. Well, at least he's a humble man...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5thDaNang69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The truth is, serious night vision needs a budget of around $2000... Digital and Gen1 really is not a "cheap" way in because it doesn't do the job. It's like saying a cheap plastic hammer is sufficient if you can't afford a metal one.
</div></div>

</div></div>

Hi 5thDaNang69,

I don't mind being called ignorant, but you really need to highlight what part of it you think is ignorant, especially since you referred to an analogy within the comment and not to any content within the comment itself.

The gulf between Gen1 and Gen2/3 really is that wide and to some extent, there's a similar gulf between what most people consider to be Gen2 and Gen3.

But the topic here is whether Gen1 or Digital is a suitable alternative for people who really do need Gen2/3 but can't afford it and the answer is no. It is not.

This doesn't take anything away from alternative circumstances where perhaps someone only really needs Gen1 or Digital and I've been known to recommend them at times. But the circumstances where this occurs are infrequent.

For the rest, there's a belief within the community that Gen1 might be an alternative - that like with Optical Riflescopes, if you can't afford a $2000 optic, well a $100 optic will work just as fine for most. Afterall, I have a cheap Simmons optic on my air rifle? Why do I need more? This simply isn't true or even close when it comes to night vision.

In fact, due to the extremely high concentration of professional shooters on this forum I expect most would even question whether a $100 optic can be trusted at all. It's fine for an air rifle for most use but even then, I use a $3000 NV scope on my air rifle, because Gen1 simply isn't going work work at all for what I do.

And that's the difference. You spent $550 on a digital monocular ( which is a little expensive IMO - around $300 to $350 is more realistic ) and it works OK for you, but it would not work OK for me - or most people's needs on this forum.

And for that matter, why did you spend $550? You could have bought a second-hand Gen1 from Ebay for $80 that would do exactly the same? If you need to video record things, then you could have gotten a Ranger or Stealth for much less. Whichever way you look at it, you spent a lot of money you didn't need to.

This is the problem with Gen1 and Digital. Performance-wise, there's not much between them, except perhaps the really junky models. My advice to someone with $900 to spend would not be "Buy a $550 monocular and save $350" but "Buy a $100 monocular and save $800." If you find it meets your needs, then great - I've helped you save $800... But if it doesn't, you are $800 closer to the piece of equipment you really need.

And Need is the primary concern here. Because if you need Gen2 or Gen3, then there's no point spending anything on a Gen1 or Digital, except perhaps to help you work out if you really can get away with a very limited gain NV device.

Regards
David

</div></div>

Please take away from this is that some of us dont want to spend money on the higher quality items if we don't need those capabilities. I know the $3000 PVS14 is much better and would blow my mind, but I dont need to see 200 yards and certainly don't want to spend $3000 on something I use a few times a year. </div></div>

Are you really going to compare models of Corvettes to night vision ??? After 3 posts of night vision experience ? Seriously ?? Both cars are fast and will pin you back in your seat. The ZR1 is damn near a street legal race car.

Has nothing to do with night vision at all and is a terrible analogy. Both cars can run the quarter mile really fast. A $300 dollar scope will not get you 300m performance. A $600 dollar Pulsar won't either but a $1100 hundred dollar Gen 2 D-300 just might with a decent Illuminator.

As CJ7Hawk has explained the gap between Gen 1 , Digital and Gen 2 or 3 is wider than the Grand Canyon. You want to plink some rats in your barn ? Fine, get a Gen 1 or Digi scope. You want to hit a hog at 300m and the guys see you break out your Pulsar ? Hilarity will ensue in short order. Shit, the hog will even be laughing at you.

Nobody here is an elitist just because we own Gen 3. You will find we own many scopes of all kinds. Night vision is what we do on a daily basis and after 3 posts you are going to berate one of the smartest guys in night vision I know?? Got a lot of schooling to learn ! Just my .02

Did I mention the guy you just berated knows a thing or two about race cars ?? Google Cams Steward. He let you off easy. To easy IMHO.

Does that model come with air conditioning ?? My girl wants to know... LMAO

Hey guys. I have been a fan of this forum for some time now. I have not posted until now because I never have much to say. I was a door kicker for a number of years and would say I have a few thousand hours using various forms of night vision. I have been following this thread for a few days bitting my lip. Can't we all just get along!
cj7hawk, 5thDaNang69, NoveSPR, OmegaMan, and Trevor B.; you all make great points. The gen3 and gen4 stuff I have been fortunate enough to use is not even close to to gen1. However, digital ain't that bad...Would I take it Afghanistan? Hell NO! But using it to scout my property.... I have done it many times. There have been many nights were I have been able to see 200 yards + with my Yukon Range Pro...Period! No amount of "pictures" or "posts" will convince me otherwise...Sorry guys... However, on most nights 100-150 yards max.

Also, ATN is shit (for the most part). I believe they are geared more towards the amateurs and boy scouts (as OmegaMan puts it)
grin.gif
I wouldn't touch a generation 1 ATN unit with a ten foot pole. Or a generation 2 Night Spirit for that matter. Their NVM14 and PVS 14, on the other hand, I find pretty darn good. I would take them to Afghanistan any day (wouldn't be my first choice tho). I don't hold OP in poor regard for supporting ATN or digital night vision. Some people don't want to pay 2 grand when a $500 digital unit can get them pretty darn close.

OmegaMan, did you call Trevor B. at OpticsPlanet. He called you out buddy... and you have been talking some serious smack... LMAO Sorry OmegaMan, I had to. Seriously, did you talk to him? They are okay over there. They sell to the whole spectrum.

Well, guess i had more to say then I thought! Thanks guys! Hope to learn a lot from this forum and pass on some of the experiences I have had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys. I have been a fan of this forum for some time now. I have not posted until now because I never have much to say. I was a door kicker for a number of years and would say I have a few thousand hours using various forms of night vision. I have been following this thread for a few days bitting my lip. Can't we all just get along!
cj7hawk, 5thDaNang69, NoveSPR, OmegaMan, and Trevor B.; you all make great points. The gen3 and gen4 stuff I have been fortunate enough to use is not even close to to gen1. However, digital ain't that bad...Would I take it Afghanistan? Hell NO! But using it to scout my property.... I have done it many times. There have been many nights were I have been able to see 200 yards + with my Yukon Range Pro...Period! No amount of "pictures" or "posts" will convince me otherwise...Sorry guys... However, on most nights 100-150 yards max.

Also, ATN is shit (for the most part). I believe they are geared more towards the amateurs and boy scouts (as OmegaMan puts it)
grin.gif
I wouldn't touch a generation 1 ATN unit with a ten foot pole. Or a generation 2 Night Spirit for that matter. Their NVM14 and PVS 14, on the other hand, I find pretty darn good. I would take them to Afghanistan any day (wouldn't be my first choice tho). I don't hold OP in poor regard for supporting ATN or digital night vision. Some people don't want to pay 2 grand when a $500 digital unit can get them pretty darn close.

OmegaMan, did you call Trevor B. at OpticsPlanet. He called you out buddy... and you have been talking some serious smack... LMAO Sorry OmegaMan, I had to. Seriously, did you talk to him? They are okay over there. They sell to the whole spectrum.

Well, guess i had more to say then I thought! Thanks guys! Hope to learn a lot from this forum and pass on some of the experiences I have had. </div></div>

Hi 11B2P,

It's OK to speak your mind. After all 5thDaNang69 accused me of ignorance and I felt I went pretty easy on him in my response, but perhaps my post didn't come across that way
frown.gif
. As for getting along? LoL! We don't all need to agree to get along
smile.gif
This would be a pretty boring forum with just one opinion LoL!.

You'll find my posts about digital are pretty close to your experience. In fact, if you go through enough of my posts, you'll even find me recommend digital once in a while
smile.gif
Digital is interesting and I've done a fair bit of research into it.
smile.gif
But the value of Digital is about $300 or less so I wouldn't want people thinking that $600 was the norm for it, because then they will lose out on getting a good deal. ( A quick scan of Digital NV on Ebay shows a range of kit from $99 to $369 that is very well priced and new, some of it good kit too )

And that's the main motivation of my posts - just helping people find what is right for them. If I think that someone needs equipment that's out of their budget, I'll recommend it. If I think they can use Digital or even Gen1, I'll recommend that. This isn't the sort of forum I expect to recommend Digital or Gen1 often though.
smile.gif
Too many professionals.

Also, there's a lot of tactical users here and digital is usually active-IR, so it's not so great for stealth - which is a shame, because it works fairly well in urban areas.

Personally, I think there is a place for Gen1 and Digital, but a lot of it's overpriced at the moment. At around $150 to $200, I think it's a useful purchase.

Likewise I think the Pulsar riflescope would be better value around the $600-$700 mark and at around that price would actually fill it's niche quite well. And Gen1 riflescopes around the $300 to $500 mark would be OK too.

However with much stronger Gen2 Milspec scopes available under $2000 still, I'd hesitate to recommend it anywhere near it's current price, except perhaps in countries where options were limited. Especially where Gen2 has two to three orders of magnitude more gain than commercial digital presently does.

I guess to stick to the car analogy;

Gen0. A small cart that is electrically powered and can carry one person around at a top speed of 5 MPH for one hour. It needs to be recharged a lot.

Gen1. A small car that only goes around 10 MPH top speed and carries two people comfortably to the shops and back. it takes normal fuel and has a duration of a few hours.

Digital. Like Gen1, but runs on electric power. Batteries have to be charged a lot, but runs at up to 15 MPH.

Gen1 Cascade. Three of these small cars welded together. The extra HP means that you can now carry two people at a top speed of 30 MPH. But just two people.

Gen2. A series of vehicles with a MCP ( Motor Car Performance ) engine that will drive up to 40 MPH and has a fuel tank that will last 10 hours straight.

Gen3. Like Gen2, but streamlined and with a turbocharger. These will go up to 55 MPH and even faster.

smile.gif
I think this handles it well. Consider under what circumstances the Gen1 would be useful.

But I think the majority share your opinion of ATN.
smile.gif
LoL!... Omegaman will give your evaluation there an emphatic approval I'm sure
smile.gif

But I certainly am not taking any offence at the conversation. I just see the estimates getting out a little beyond where I think they should be or perhaps some comments missing context so I offer my two bits and I figure between us all, we add value
smile.gif

And I still learn something new every week too!
smile.gif

BTW, how long do you think it will be before people realize you can make a cascade out of Digital and Gen1 LoL!... One day I have to try making one to see how it goes. I have some nice Gen1 inverter tubes with FO output that would probably mate to a 2/3" CCD quite well. Might be a fun experiment over Christmas if I get the time.

Always happy to talk,
smile.gif

Regards
David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys. I have been a fan of this forum for some time now. I have not posted until now because I never have much to say. I was a door kicker for a number of years and would say I have a few thousand hours using various forms of night vision. I have been following this thread for a few days bitting my lip. Can't we all just get along!

grin.gif

Well, guess i had more to say then I thought! Thanks guys! Hope to learn a lot from this forum and pass on some of the experiences I have had. </div></div>

LOL. I am sure Trevor does want me to speak in private. No, I have not called him. I don't hide behind private phone calls or IM messages. I will speak to him only in the open forum where EVERYONE can see what is said and there is a public record of it.

The better question to ask is why does he feel it needs to be a private discussion. He seems to be as proficient in typing as I am.

However, I do agree with your comments of ATN. But I won't buy anything ATN. To much deceptive advertising and confusing tube designations. Specs is what sets one tube above another, not what label you put on it.

Lots of people with only a few posts and a very recent join date showing up as of late. Just an observation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[I will speak to him only in the open forum where EVERYONE can see what is said and there is a public record of it.
</div></div>

I'll buy that
smile.gif

On another note...

I don't know if I have the heart to try my luck purchasing a used gen2 or gen3 unit. I know there are some great deals out there, but have seen many "burned out" tubes before... I have a lot of practical experience with this stuff and hope to learn more of the technical aspects from you guys!

Looking forward to the spirited debate
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[I will speak to him only in the open forum where EVERYONE can see what is said and there is a public record of it.
</div></div>

I'll buy that
smile.gif

On another note...

I don't know if I have the heart to try my luck purchasing a used gen2 or gen3 unit. I know there are some great deals out there, <span style="color: #FF0000">but have seen many "burned out" tubes before...</span> I have a lot of practical experience with this stuff and hope to learn more of the technical aspects from you guys!

smile.gif
</div></div>

Really, I've kicked in a few things over the years and worked and trained with hundreds, if not thousands of Gen 2, Gen 2SHP and Gen 3 units and have NOT burned out ONE piece of kit from use from high light or ANY other environments. Of course, things can go out such as power supplies, but burn out from high light with some of the posts above indicate vs. digital? Not so...

With the current Autogated power supplies, even rarer. Strange....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[I will speak to him only in the open forum where EVERYONE can see what is said and there is a public record of it.
</div></div>

I'll buy that
smile.gif

On another note...

I don't know if I have the heart to try my luck purchasing a used gen2 or gen3 unit. I know there are some great deals out there, <span style="color: #FF0000">but have seen many "burned out" tubes before...</span> I have a lot of practical experience with this stuff and hope to learn more of the technical aspects from you guys!

smile.gif
</div></div>

Really, I've kicked in a few things over the years and worked and trained with hundreds, if not thousands of Gen 2, Gen 2SHP and Gen 3 units and have NOT burned out ONE piece of kit form use from high light or ANY other environments. Of course, things can go out such as power supplies, but burn out from high light with some of the posts above indicate vs. digital? Not so...

With the current Autogated power supplies, even rarer. Strange.... </div></div>

Oh yes Sir!

My very first issued AN/PVS-14 had big old dark spot smack dab in the center. It was still very much useable, just distracting. Needless to say it was a good day when i was issued a brandnew, or relatively new, unit before my first scheduled deployment. My description of "burned out" might have been poor. I guess <span style="font-style: italic">damaged</span> is more appropriate.
Although, the stuff we had was used and abused... There were some missions where my NOD was on for damn near 8 hours, and that's no joke! I would go out with a brick of AAs for me and the rest of my squad. Seriously.

Understood with "blemishes." The Mil-Spec criteria specs out size, zone location, and number of blems. I've seen some Mil-Spec leopards in my time.

The center zone damage you speak of is common with recoil damage we see from time to time. Not burned out as you mentioned, but definitely damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood with "blemishes." The Mil-Spec criteria specs out size, zone location, and number of blems. I've seen some Mil-Spec leopards in my time.

The center zone damage you speak of is common with recoil damage we see from time to time. Not burned out as you mentioned, but definitely damaged. </div></div>

Yeah, maybe so. Thanks for the info!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood with "blemishes." The Mil-Spec criteria specs out size, zone location, and number of blems. I've seen some Mil-Spec leopards in my time.

The center zone damage you speak of is common with recoil damage we see from time to time. Not burned out as you mentioned, but definitely damaged. </div></div>

Yeah, maybe so. Thanks for the info! </div></div>

Not "maybe so". It is EXACTLY SO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood with "blemishes." The Mil-Spec criteria specs out size, zone location, and number of blems. I've seen some Mil-Spec leopards in my time.

Not "maybe so". It is EXACTLY SO! </div></div>

Haha. I don't disagree with Victor. The only thing is I can count how many times we had our AN/PVS-14s mounted on our M16s and M4s one one hand. We ran with our NODs helmet mounted with an AN/PEQ-2 for aiming. I assume by recoil damage he meant the damage sustained while the unit is weapon mounted. A weapon mounted NOD might work well if you are stationary... Not so much when you are on patrol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[LOL. I am sure Trevor does want me to speak in private. No, I have not called him. I don't hide behind private phone calls or IM messages. I will speak to him only in the open forum where EVERYONE can see what is said and there is a public record of it.
</div></div>

Omegaman,

I am here to help any member with any questions or concerns they have on any nightvison devices, day optics, hunting equipment, shooting equipment. I'm a lucky guy, I combined a career with this industry with my passion. I have hunted all across the US, both in day and at night, and have been very fortunate to have many experiences that I can share. I will gladly help, assist, and share what I've learned with any member. If you don't wish to call, that ok. I've shared my experiences on this thread. Looking forward to the next topic to help with.

Trevor B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood with "blemishes." The Mil-Spec criteria specs out size, zone location, and number of blems. I've seen some Mil-Spec leopards in my time.

Not "maybe so". It is EXACTLY SO! </div></div>

Haha. I don't disagree with Victor. The only thing is I can count how many times we had our AN/PVS-14s mounted on our M16s and M4s one one hand. We ran with our NODs helmet mounted with an AN/PEQ-2 for aiming. I assume by recoil damage he meant the damage sustained while the unit is weapon mounted. A weapon mounted NOD might work well if you are stationary... Not so much when you are on patrol. </div></div>

Not sustained fire usually, it may happen on one shot with a black spot dead center.

We train by mounting a 14 on a carbine when stealth is an absolute and when using an IR laser could get you killed faster than a white light.

Just another tool for the tool box. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B2P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Victor-TNVC said:
Understood with "blemishes." The Mil-Spec criteria specs out size, zone location, and number of blems. I've seen some Mil-Spec leopards in my time.

Haha. I don't disagree with Victor. The only thing is I can count how many times we had our AN/PVS-14s mounted on our M16s and M4s one one hand. We ran with our NODs helmet mounted with an AN/PEQ-2 for aiming. I assume by recoil damage he meant the damage sustained while the unit is weapon mounted. A weapon mounted NOD might work well if you are stationary... Not so much when you are on patrol. </div></div>

Not sustained fire usually, it may happen on one shot with a black spot dead center.

We train by mounting a 14 on a carbine when stealth is an absolute and when using an IR laser could get you killed faster than a white light.

Just another tool for the tool box. :) </div></div>

Wow! That's crazy. I felt our AN/PVS-14s were way more durable than that!

Also, how do you keep your head on a swivel with your NOD on your weapon?

I love this forum.
grin.gif

i can spend about $2000 and all im really asking is can this happen with good clarity and reliable is what im asking

I purchased (2) PVS-14's earlier this year for 2k and 2200 respectively. They were used but in good working order. 1 was in "used" condition w no supporting kit and had an outstanding tube w minimal blems and excellent clarity. The other was "like new" condition w a full kit and had a large blem on the outside and lacked in clarity. Cest la vie! In my opinion, they were both well worth the money and I was pleased w their performance for my needs at the time. I still need one more, but will be more discerning in my search as I will be looking for a BMF to round out my monocular needs. My point is... yes you can. Search, be patient, dont be afraid to buy used no matter what some people say. Be informed, do your homework, and accept the inherent risks involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kylongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can spend about $2000 and all im really asking is can this happen with good clarity and reliable is what im asking </div></div>

kylongshot, save yourself the potential headache and the second guessing... Buy new. You can get a great generation 2 unit from TNVC or Optics planet for under 2K. Do some research, see what their return policies are and give them a call... Or just save up and get a good generation 3 unit.

Or Huntler or ASM1 for that matter if youre going to go the new route... Who knows, they may even point you in the direction of a demo unit or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[LOL. I am sure Trevor does want me to speak in private. No, I have not called him. I don't hide behind private phone calls or IM messages. I will speak to him only in the open forum where EVERYONE can see what is said and there is a public record of it.
</div></div>

Omegaman,

I am here to help any member with any questions or concerns they have on any nightvison devices, day optics, hunting equipment, shooting equipment. I'm a lucky guy, I combined a career with this industry with my passion. I have hunted all across the US, both in day and at night, and have been very fortunate to have many experiences that I can share. I will gladly help, assist, and share what I've learned with any member. If you don't wish to call, that ok. I've shared my experiences on this thread. Looking forward to the next topic to help with.

Trevor B. </div></div>

I look forward to the next topic as well. I just hope we don't have to revisit Gen 1, Digital, Yacht races at night, Guys wearing sunglasses using night vision, Gen 4 , White phosphor and the list gets long and goes on and on for a few miles.

Happy Holidays, Dino

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OmegaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I look forward to the next topic as well. I just hope we don't have to revisit Gen 1, Digital, Yacht races at night, Guys wearing sunglasses using night vision, Gen 4 , White phosphor and the list gets long and goes on for on for a few miles.

Happy Holidays, Dino </div></div>

LOL. Those are pretty funny... Bad, but funny...

Happy Holidays to you to as well!