• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night vision primer

jcwarrior87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Selah, Wa
I have been looking for days for some starter information to read about night vision. I am wanting to pick up a few different set ups(goggles, and a clipon) but I like to be informed on what I am getting. So I am wondering if there is a good read out there that will give me a lot of starting knowledge before I start pestering you all with questions.

I would start with the two sticky threads labeled Night Vision, in green. I was in your shoes 6 months ago and ended up with a PVS-14 and a thermal scope (Hogster 25mm).

I would start with the two sticky threads labeled Night Vision, in green. I was in your shoes 6 months ago and ended up with a PVS-14 and a thermal scope (Hogster 25mm).
What he said! Then, just start working through all the threads here. There is a LOT to read and learn.

Reactions: Lowdown3
Most folks start with a PVS14 (single) or a set of binos (dual tubes). A PVS14 is going to be cheaper and also "expandable" in the sense that later if you decide you want to "bridge" two PVS14s you can find a close matching set to your first 14 and then get something like a Panobridge to "bridge" the two 14s.

Advantages to this route- it can spread out cost- you buy one 14, some times later when budget recoups you buy a 2nd, then a bridge, etc. It also allows you to have that 2nd 14 for another party that may be with you. Also a good bridge like the Panobridge allows you to run (2) PVS14 or a 14 and a Flir Breach (thermal) to try that dual band setup.

Disadvantages to two bridged 14s- heavier, won't have the features a dedicated dual tube set will have, two separate gain controls to work, won't have the auto shutoff feature and individual pod shutoff, etc. Also depending on what you buy and when, can actually end up cheaper to just begin with a set of dual tubes from the start.

Stick with a standard PVS14, not one of the bastardized commercial offshoots and you won't have problems finding parts, common accessories, etc. for decades into the future.

Also you can get (2) PVS14s professionally converted into a dedicated dual tube set as well.

Dual tube sets- I talk to many of folks now just getting into NV that have "researched" and decided to go to a dual tube set right off the bat. It used to just seem as everyone "started off" with a 14 and later got duals but we see a lot of folks jumping right into duals. That's not a bad way to go also if budget allows. You can do anything you will realistically need to do with a single PVS14- walk around, navigate, shoot, drive, etc. Don't let alone tell you that you "have" to buy a $12K dual tube set to be able to drive, that's BS. My son was barely driving on the road legally when I taught him to drive our Ranger at night with just a single tube. If a 14 year old can learn it, so can you.

That being said, most would agree that things do tend to get easier with two eyes aided versus one.

Features- Well it's 2021 so know that you don't have to settle for an old 1980's PVS5 style brick platform any more. You can get a set of dual tubes that offers manual gain control, full articulation, individual pod shutoff, unit shutoff when flipped up, etc. A quality articulating dual tube set will be very durable so don't assume just because a platform articulates it's weak, that's not the case. Again, it's 2021 so yes you can have a very tough durable set that articulates, is American made and has single gain control.

Clip ons- These are kind of a specialty item in a way. The idea is that you put one of these ahead of your daylight optic to shoot distance with. If your looking to shoot "passively" (without IR) at distance these are the way. This would be units like the PVS30, PVS24, UNS SR in green phosphor and UNS A3 in White Phosphor.

Note that the clip ons are for the most part heavy, especially the 30, it's a frickin beast. This is why you normally see these on rifles with 57 other gadgets and a tactical cowbell on them while sitting on a shooting tripod- no one really wants to patrol with a rifle like that. For more static shooting at night they can't be beat, but a 10 mile patrol with one would suck....

Hopefully that helped a bit OP. Feel free to post up any questions. There is a WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE here on the Hide with some awesome folks willing to help.

Reactions: stefan73
Most folks start with a PVS14 (single) or a set of binos (dual tubes). A PVS14 is going to be cheaper and also "expandable" in the sense that later if you decide you want to "bridge" two PVS14s you can find a close matching set to your first 14 and then get something like a Panobridge to "bridge" the two 14s.

Advantages to this route- it can spread out cost- you buy one 14, some times later when budget recoups you buy a 2nd, then a bridge, etc. It also allows you to have that 2nd 14 for another party that may be with you. Also a good bridge like the Panobridge allows you to run (2) PVS14 or a 14 and a Flir Breach (thermal) to try that dual band setup.

Disadvantages to two bridged 14s- heavier, won't have the features a dedicated dual tube set will have, two separate gain controls to work, won't have the auto shutoff feature and individual pod shutoff, etc. Also depending on what you buy and when, can actually end up cheaper to just begin with a set of dual tubes from the start.

Stick with a standard PVS14, not one of the bastardized commercial offshoots and you won't have problems finding parts, common accessories, etc. for decades into the future.

Also you can get (2) PVS14s professionally converted into a dedicated dual tube set as well.

Dual tube sets- I talk to many of folks now just getting into NV that have "researched" and decided to go to a dual tube set right off the bat. It used to just seem as everyone "started off" with a 14 and later got duals but we see a lot of folks jumping right into duals. That's not a bad way to go also if budget allows. You can do anything you will realistically need to do with a single PVS14- walk around, navigate, shoot, drive, etc. Don't let alone tell you that you "have" to buy a $12K dual tube set to be able to drive, that's BS. My son was barely driving on the road legally when I taught him to drive our Ranger at night with just a single tube. If a 14 year old can learn it, so can you.

That being said, most would agree that things do tend to get easier with two eyes aided versus one.

Features- Well it's 2021 so know that you don't have to settle for an old 1980's PVS5 style brick platform any more. You can get a set of dual tubes that offers manual gain control, full articulation, individual pod shutoff, unit shutoff when flipped up, etc. A quality articulating dual tube set will be very durable so don't assume just because a platform articulates it's weak, that's not the case. Again, it's 2021 so yes you can have a very tough durable set that articulates, is American made and has single gain control.

Clip ons- These are kind of a specialty item in a way. The idea is that you put one of these ahead of your daylight optic to shoot distance with. If your looking to shoot "passively" (without IR) at distance these are the way. This would be units like the PVS30, PVS24, UNS SR in green phosphor and UNS A3 in White Phosphor.

Note that the clip ons are for the most part heavy, especially the 30, it's a frickin beast. This is why you normally see these on rifles with 57 other gadgets and a tactical cowbell on them while sitting on a shooting tripod- no one really wants to patrol with a rifle like that. For more static shooting at night they can't be beat, but a 10 mile patrol with one would suck....

Hopefully that helped a bit OP. Feel free to post up any questions. There is a WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE here on the Hide with some awesome folks willing to help.
I have spent many long nights directing my old Bradley when I was Mech from the top of the turret with my issued 14 and later I spent a lot of time driving around in HMMWV's with my PVS-14 and doing patrols. A PVS-14 is a very capable system, you just have to understand the system and where it has shortfalls.

I still had to ask a LOT of questions before I bought my first PVS-14. Being issued night vision versus buying an expensive set are two different things and I would rather cry once but, I think I want to grow my "kit".

Reactions: Lowdown3
I invite anyone to Photonis Defense's Night Vision demo lab in Lancaster, PA where they have a calibrated demo room to test your NV equipment. You can use your own equipment, or their equipment. This is on a "as time allows" basis for the Photonis team as their manufacturing plant also produces various other types of tubes (traveling wave tubes) for jammers and radars. You need to contact them vis their website at Photonis Defense.com.