• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes night vision scope

Sharp Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
Ohio
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a night vision generation 1, 2, 3, or 4? Does it go higher?

I herd there is an attachment that fits on your current scope. What is the best top of the line model?

Re: night vision scope

Gens 1-3

3rd is current.

Do some Googling. There is a ton of info about NV out there.

An AN/PVS-22 will attach in front of a day scope. It rocks. It's expensive.

I can't tell you what is "top of the line" per se, but the Trijicon TANS I got to play with awhile back is the tits. It's also more expensive than the truck I currently drive.

Current US military issue would be PVS-10, PVS-22 and PVS-26. There maybe more but I don't know of any. The PVS-10 is a stand alone optic. Meaning, it's not used with a daytime scope. It has it's own magnification. The other 2, PVS-22 and the PVS-26, are used by mounting them in front of your daytime scope. I could not tell you what make a GEN 1 or so on.

The minute details between the generations could be explained, but you wouldn't make any sense to you if you aren't a tech. Plus its really easy to go to ATN or where ever and read about it.

Basically the differnce between the devices is the resolution and signal to noise ratio. In laymans terms, the higher the generation, the better the picture.

Think of it like this:

Gen 1 being your old school, fuzzy, rabbit ear, analog TV
Gen 2 is the first 720i High Definition TV
Gen 3 is the 1080I HD TV
Gen 4 is the super high dollar 1080P, 240HZ HDTV on top of the Best Buy rack that only the insanely wealthy can afford.

A newer technology that recently came out is White Phosporus. Instead of the traditional black on green screen it is black on white. It is really a lot nicer as its a more natural feeling at night, to see in black and white that is.

As far as the finest NV out there, its probably a PVS26, or any of the stand alone Gen 4 devices. But you are talking thousands of dollars. You really can't use a front mounted NV device on any high scope magnification. In all reality the upper most magnification for a NV device is 6x, with 4x being the most common.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You really can't use a front mounted NV device on any high scope magnification. In all reality the upper most magnification for a NV device is 6x, with 4x being the most common. </div></div>

We have not found that to be correct.

For urban/metro operations the user may well want to stay in the 3-5X range on their day scope, but we can easily run the PVS-22 around 6-8X with no problems for extended periods. The PVS-27 (MUNS) can be run at mags up to 12X with no problems for extended period with resolutions on par with the newer SimRads.

Best,
Terry

For the record there is NO such designation as a Gen 4. Just hyper marketing techniques by companies such as ATN and a few others. Same marketing hype from white phosphor that does NOTHING to help you see better in the dark. Once again more marketing hype with ATN doctoring real NV pictures by over exposing the NV image with Photoshop while comparing it to white phosphor photo's. Here is a thread on another board discussing this photo trickery on white phosphor stuff. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=291524 Hope this helps.

Vic

So, if I want night vision for the dangerous mission of eliminating the deadly threat of voracious rabbits in my garden. What is the best way to go for my counter insurgent tactical pellet rifle?

Get an AN/PAS-13 thermal optic!
Only way to kill the bunny's!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxposner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I want night vision for the dangerous mission of eliminating the deadly threat of voracious rabbits in my garden. What is the best way to go for my counter insurgent tactical pellet rifle? </div></div>

Booby trap the carrots. Works every time and in any light conditions.
You can even do a search for old Warner Brothers cartoons that basically are "how to" videos on how to eliminate rabbits and road runners. Careful though, some of it is not for the weak of heart!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxposner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I want night vision for the dangerous mission of eliminating the deadly threat of voracious rabbits in my garden. What is the best way to go for my counter insurgent tactical pellet rifle? </div></div>

You can even do a search for old Warner Brothers cartoons that basically are "how to" videos on how to eliminate rabbits and road runners. Careful though, some of it is not for the weak of heart!

</div></div>

I think ACME INC is the place to purchase such traps
laugh.gif

If money's no object, you may want to consider a thermal imaging scope. As I understand it, Generation 1 - III night vision work by amplifying existing light. Thermal imaging "sees" the infra-red signature of things. It's black and white (the hotter, the whiter) rather than the black and green of night vision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxposner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I want night vision for the dangerous mission of eliminating the deadly threat of voracious rabbits in my garden. What is the best way to go for my counter insurgent tactical pellet rifle? </div></div>

</div></div>

I have it on good authority that Wiley Coyote uses a PVS-26.

Stay away from ACME, they advertise well, but that rocket powered mousetrap burned down my garage! Those sunsabiches sent an anvil for my trouble! No for these rabbits I need serious solutions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxposner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I want night vision for the dangerous mission of eliminating the deadly threat of voracious rabbits in my garden. What is the best way to go for my counter insurgent tactical pellet rifle? </div></div>

a flashlight