• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night Vision Scopes on a Civilian Budget?

11BRAVO_NICK

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2020
Jupiter Farms Florida
I've been looking at a couple because just not being able to see at night doesn't sit well with me.. the only problem is I found a couple that have a max range of 400 yds which isn't bad for a $600 civilian scope...I was looking for something closer to 800 yards... Any suggestions?? Did I mention civilian budget period?? LOL

Good info and experience expected

I dont know much about specific nightvision dedicated scopes as there is a reason we use clip ons. Other than not having to remove optics depending on if its day/night and rezero, the dedicated NV scopes generally do both ok but neither very well. If there is one that does, I'm betting its extremely cost prohibative.

Hell, you can barely get a decent non China scope for $600. Nightvision has to do with the generation of NV as well as the clarity the optic/NV unit has. Other than marks/spots/artifacts on the tube, using a cheap NV scope and/or a cheap day optic with a good clip on will make things look like someone smeared vasoline on a 7 up bottle and shined a flashlight through it.

Example; a PVS30 with a Nightforce or anything comparible is only 'good' up to maybe 12x where you start to really lose clarity and everything turns into a shimmering blob. The other problem you'll have is the further away the target at night, the more 'blob' like it will be as well as without legit IR illumination (and sometimes even with it) things get lost behind the smallest amount of cover or shadow; or you just know 'something' is there but don't know if its a person, dog, or a car. Meanwhile, PVS30 + nightforce + PEQ2a or PEQ15 and I'm down to, is that a coyote or a fox?

It all has limitations. I just can't see you getting anywhere near the distances you want with the budget you want to stay in.

Last edited:
I have been happy with the sightmark wraith. At around $500 it has been well worth the price. Just wish we had more hogs to hunt as we seem to have almost cleared them all out.

Sightmark Wraith has excellent reviews around $500. Pulsar digital nightvision unit is around 1200. It gets the job done for shooting hogs.Thermal is the best, but it cost thousands too.

Wraith for sure, I primarily use thermal, but I picked up a Sightmark Wraith and upgraded the IR (Sniper Hog 66LRX) and it is a heck of a scope for $500. It also works as a color daytime scope and it does that well also.

I've used the Pulsar mentioned above and it is thoroughly okay, and that is with a good external IR illuminator (which costs a few hundred$$ more.)

You need to reset expectations a bit. Forget 400 yards and absolutely forget 800 yards, especially on that budget. With the stuff in your price range, you get 100-200 yards, maybe.

Cheap NV is like a cheap hooker: she may get you there, but it might not be as pleasant as you expect. That, and once you've had the really good stuff, the not-really-good stuff is all but unusable.

I have experience with the full spectrum on NV, no experience on the hooker part; but it seems a decent metaphor for this crowd. (And yes, I know it is a simile.)

Carry on.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
From my experience, I would not suggest wasting the money on cheap NV, just simply put the funds aside and save up to get something that actually works really well long term.

Reactions: Rocky59 and Jsp556
From my experience, I would not suggest wasting the money on cheap NV, just simply put the funds aside and save up to get something that actually works really well long term.

Rightly said Just buy once and cry once.