• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 12-42x56 1/8 moa impressions

cap2031

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I'm waiting on my kilo 66 from Tac Ops and thinking about getting out far as I can with it. I currently have a Leupold 8.5-25x50mm TMR Mark 4.

I'm looking at a nightforce 12-42x NXS just for power alone, what are your impressions with this scope?

With a budget up to $3000 what would you use to get out to 2000+ yrds?

What would you use if there was no budget and you wanted to compete in competitions, use it for big game hunting, and overall top performance? What's the most important reason/factors why you want that scope

I think of power when thinking out to 2000+, what about the mirage? Does this really affect the scope with more power or is it the same with any power at that distance?

I've never shot that far, not saying that I can, but I want the right gear to go for it.

Re: Nightforce 12-42x56 1/8 moa impressions

I would really recommend getting a scope that will best suit your majority of shooting. If you plan on shooting 2000 yards once or twice and hunting between 100-500 yards and target shooting up to 1000 most of the time I would really consider another model. The 12-42 Nightforce is a great scope, for its intended purpose. It is not the ideal hunter at under 300 yards or so. But it will be a great choice for extreme distance target shooting. S&B also has their 12.5-50x56 which I would opt for over the Nightforce is you really wantt he maximum magnification.

If you are ready and experienced to this point, to spend this amount of money and have the time at the range, my vote is for a S&B PM. However, the NXS would also be a great choice.

With that being said, If you want something more ideal for shorting hunting shots and long range the 5-25 S&B police marksman is a great buy. This can be used for almost anything. Very capable of 1200+ yard shots as well. I believe this is the model that has the longest kill shot record by Craig Harrison when he took out the two achine gunners and the machine gun from over 2700 yards. Granted, amzing shot and extreemly gifted shooter, but he had the best equipment as well.

Re: Nightforce 12-42x56 impressions

Thanks Trevor,

I'd like some versatility.

Most of the shooting will be wild hogs and coyotes from the porch at a range of 400 - 1800. (30%=400 - 600yrd, 50%=600-1000yrd, 20%=1000+yrd).

I'll be doing a lot of target (any distance, but wanting to develop the 1500 - 2000 yrd steel plate hits).

Deer hunting several weeks out of the year no closer than 200 yrs.

I want to go big game hunting in the mountains with it (couple times a year).

I'm also thinking about getting into competitions. But active competitions (looking for stress shots, and physical fitness events that will keep me training and in shape). I'll be using a suppressor as well, but that doesn't make that much impact on scope.

The S&Bs are nice! Just don't know if that much diff in $ is worth it...(I'm all about quality though, so it probably is worth it). I wonder if we asked Mr. Harrison if the S&B made that shot possible or if he could have done it with iron sights...I meen a NF, Leupold, Hensholdt, USO, or whatever.

I think you're right on. Could he have made a shot with a USO, Nightforce, Hensoldt, maybe. But that scope was chosen for its all around features for that rifle and purpose. YOu honestly need to put the scopes side by side on tripods to preform an accurate test. Would you notice a difference from a NIghtfore to a Hensoldt or S&B in that case? I think you would, but it will be minimal. I like to compare scope choice to car engines. In order to get a .1 second better time for your 1/4 mile you sometimes need to put $500, $1000, $1500 or more into it. Just like a scope, to get a little more optical clarity, to reduce a bit more chromatic abberation, to see those fine lines, you might need to upgrade to the next level. Would you be happy with either? Certainly, no doubt about it. Are they both worth the price they sell for? I would say certainly as well.

Kilo66,
Thanks for this post, I'm in the boat as you. I'm builing a 338 snipetac, and finding the right optic is challenge at best.
I have a Nightforce 8x32NPX NP2-DD on a 7mm SAUM, it is a awesome scope, and more than capable of a 3/4 mile shooting.
I shot it yesterday out to 1200 yards, the targets were 8" square and 12"x16". The 8" was more than visible. But we have a 5" square at 1k that was not that easy to depict.
The S&B is a First focal plane scope, and that means the reticle gets larger with magnification, that 5" target would really be tough to see, the reticle would have to cover that size target.
A drawback with 12x42 NF is it only has 45 total MOA of elevation with a 30mm tube. The way I see it, to make a 3000 yard shot with the 338ST, I would need a 1000 yard zero, with a 20moa reticle and maybe a 30moa base?
Both the scopes are great. In a perfect senario, S&B would have a 10x40+ class scope with their 34mm tube, giving the best of both worlds, making the decision easy to make.
Please post what you buy, it is a good predicament to be in!
I'm 50+ so I like the magnification.
Don't want to be a DS, but what is a kilo66??
A newbee here,
Miles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kilo66,

A drawback with 12x42 NF is it only has 45 total MOA of elevation with a 30mm tube. </div></div>

+1
I would avoid the 42x due to its lack of elevation unless you plan on mounting it ontop of an adjustable base or rings.

I use a 5.5-22x on my 50bmg and shoot it out to 2000y. Targets are still fairly easy to see on anything larger than a silhouette depending on conditions and it has around 100moa elevation

Kilo66,

Btw, nice selection of rifle; please create a thread with posts when you get it. One thing to remember is that more distance does not equate with the necessity for more magnification. For your rifle, if you are set on nightforce, go with the 5.5-22x50. That scope will give you all the elevation and magnification you need.

Thanks guys....as always....I never know if it makes it any easier but it does get you thinking.

Yeah I get 62 MOA on my Leupold now with a 20 MOA base and its kind of limiting. The 100 MOA with a 34 MOA base would be nice.

@ Miles: The Kilo66 is a Tac Ops build but on an A3-5 adjustable stock in 300 win mag. (Kilo51 is .308 Kilo66 is .300 winmag this is his designation for all his series) (check out the Delta series on his website www.tacticaloperations.com and just throw on the adjustable A3-5 instead of the A3 McMillan stock). Mike R at Tactical Operations tries to get the guns shooting down below .1" moa but guarantees .25" moa (most I've seen are below .1" and one even down to .022") I'm really excited about it and getting some custom engraving done on it too. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Also, if you are needing a bigger MOA base, Mike R at Tac Ops makes a 34 MOA (that is what I'm getting), and a 40 MOA. He lists his number on these forums just give him a call...Top Notch guy, can't say enough about him.

@ Palmik: I'm not necessarily set on Nightforce. I'm set on getting the best quality scope for getting out as far as I can with a 300 win mag (or using on another rifle in the future). I know it may hurt and I'll cry a little when I pay for it, but that goes away in time
grin.gif

I grew up shooting on $99 scopes from Wal-Mart, and since getting my higher end Leupold it really made a difference, huge (maybe the age and experience helps too)! So now I'm looking for what seem to be the top 2-3 scopes that are under $3K (give or take) to really get out there and possibly make 2000 yrd shots...(if there is one that really stands out at 5K, I want to know about it too).

I'll take another look at the NF 5.5-22x50....

Guys any other recommendations?

Kilo66,
Sent a pm.
Miles

The Hensoldt and S&B are right around 3k, so limiting the budget to 3k might set you about $100 short of what you are looking for. If the budget is under 2k, I would go with a NF or Vortex Razor.

Just has a look at the March scopes. 5-50x56 & 8-80x56!? With MTR up to around $4200 for the 80 mag. Interesting. I've never heard of these before. Anyone have any experience with March scopes? 60 MOA elevation, out it on a really big base and might have something you can use.

Glass quality, anyone seen this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cap-Kilo66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question....does anyone have a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 setup on a 30 cal with high rings? How much MOA do you have? What base do you use with it? </div></div>

I have a NXS 5.5-22x50 on a Rem 700P w/high rings. NF 20 MOA base. Its about 1/4inch off the barrel from the objective.

Premier or S&B 5-25.

No further investigation needed.

I just posted this but its not showing up...sorry if it duplicates somehow.

I'm leaning towards the S&B 5-25x56 PM II LP P4 Reticle with .1 mrad turrets.

Does anyone know why the MOA vs mRad S&Bs have different elevation adjustments ranges?

MOA version is offered with 56 MOA of 1/4 MOA clicks, or 273cm (93 MOA) of 1cm clicks.

So 56MOA elevation versus 93MOA??? I wouldn't think that they actually had a difference in total range if you're making the same scope with different calibrated range increments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier or S&B 5-25.

No further investigation needed.

41 </div></div>

He's right. And your spec of S&B 5-25x56 PM II LP P4 Reticle with .1 mrad turrets is pretty good too but P4f would be better.

Who cares about the moa issue you raise if you are going mil, which you should be, imho. I recall seeing the same issue when I was shopping the Schmidts but went with mil, of course, and haven't thought about it since.

Any high quality 5-25 is plenty of magnification out to 2000yds. I sold my 8-32x56 NSX simply because it was over kill other than when I was shooting IBS. If you feel that you need to upgrade your glass then there are plenty of options out there. Premier S&B NF USO IOR just look around and find what you like best.

Be careful about the NF 12x42 in a hunting application. All the reticle choices have very thin cross hairs that are fine for target work bu hard to pick up against dark targets in a hunting or tactical situation