• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10 or Leica Magnus 1.5-10

scale

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2018
Kekaha, Hawaii
Any experience with the above scopes? Which scope would you prefer for hunting on a light weight bolt gun or ar-10? I’m considering these two since they are compact and about same weight. Let me know your thoughts.

I have a Maggnus 1.8-12x50 and a few NF (ATACR 4-16 and SHV 3-10). Depends on how you hunt. The Magnus glass is the best I have ever seen and I see why you do no need illumination in a scope. It's like looking through my SLC bino's. I was able to see a dillo come out into a field :40 after sunset. In the woods and field it is great, NF glass is good and gets the job done every time, no complaints.

The NF I use more at the range and I think that I might end up needing a MOA or MIL reticle. At the end of the day is the glass good enough...that is all you need. Does it track, how does it hold up to your style of hunting, those are the big factors that make a good hunting scope.

Farthest shot I have on a deer is 300 yards...I have never needed to dial and the duplex reticle on my VX2 did the job knowing my drop. They both look good on a rifle and gas gun. You will not be disappointed with either. I do want to pick up anther Magnus due to the price right now...that will be gone soon and I can always pick up a NF.

As far as QC and you get what you pay for? Not necessarily...this is how my NF SHV showed up NEW from NF...VORTEX, Burris, anyone can let something slip through regardless of price. New scope FedEx'ed overnight. No big deal but I was surprised.

I was testing the Magnus out on a 6.5 Grendel, I just swapped the SHV 3-10 on this gun and the Leica is going on my 6.5 Creed hunting rifle. The size of the 1.5-10x42 would be real nice. Hard to pass up.

2F83142F-3130-4354-9164-D53828560F92_1_105_c.jpeg

E75B77D6-6126-4E22-AB4E-59EB7DDADE82_1_105_c.jpeg

Magnus sits well on any gun...

5DEE21D7-9AA7-4CFE-B6A8-A8D92F551FB4_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: scale
Thanks for the reply. Deals are good right now on Leica. Also makes me think what must be coming out soon from them.

I have a Maggnus 1.8-12x50 and a few NF (ATACR 4-16 and SHV 3-10). Depends on how you hunt. The Magnus glass is the best I have ever seen and I see why you do no need illumination in a scope. It's like looking through my SLC bino's. I was able to see a dillo come out into a field :40 after sunset. In the woods and field it is great, NF glass is good and gets the job done every time, no complaints.

The NF I use more at the range and I think that I might end up needing a MOA or MIL reticle. At the end of the day is the glass good enough...that is all you need. Does it track, how does it hold up to your style of hunting, those are the big factors that make a good hunting scope.

Farthest shot I have on a deer is 300 yards...I have never needed to dial and the duplex reticle on my VX2 did the job knowing my drop. They both look good on a rifle and gas gun. You will not be disappointed with either. I do want to pick up anther Magnus due to the price right now...that will be gone soon and I can always pick up a NF.

As far as QC and you get what you pay for? Not necessarily...this is how my NF SHV showed up NEW from NF...VORTEX, Burris, anyone can let something slip through regardless of price. New scope FedEx'ed overnight. No big deal but I was surprised.

I was testing the Magnus out on a 6.5 Grendel, I just swapped the SHV 3-10 on this gun and the Leica is going on my 6.5 Creed hunting rifle. The size of the 1.5-10x42 would be real nice. Hard to pass up.

View attachment 7196714

View attachment 7196715

Magnus sits well on any gun...

View attachment 7196716
I’m leaning to the Magnus since there are great deals right now and clarity. Like you said you think you might have to dial but never really do. Most shots I have are 300 and under in my hunting areas. Less tha 10% are over that and if they are you have seconds most times before the animal disappears back in to the bushes.

Would love to try one of those Leica's if they had a decent reticle. Really comes down to how you shoot.. for me, I ended up with the NF since I needed wind holds and not just Kentucky windage.

Reactions: longshot2000
Reviving an old thread, but for future readers making the same decision--I would go with the Leica Magnus over the NF ATACR. The Magnus is the best scope I've ever had. I got the 15x and loved it so much I got the 1.5-10x. I've had quite a lot of scopes, including two Atacrs, TT and S&B. The Magnus is the best. Turrets are solid and repeatable. Holds zero. Lightweight. And the glass is extraordinary.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Would love to try one of those Leica's if they had a decent reticle. Really comes down to how you shoot.. for me, I ended up with the NF since I needed wind holds and not just Kentucky windage.

^^^ this.

Personally, I think the glass is similar. Some prefer the Leica, and who I am to argue. Nightforce is clearly going to win on durability. I like NF better for tactical turrets, but that is a personal thing. Same with reticles. I think NF has some of the best selection of smartly designed reticles out there, except for maybe the MSR2, found on a number of European scopes.

Since you will be spending time with the scope, you decide based upon the reticles and your need for durability, i.e., how often will the scope possibly be thrown on the ground.

Too bad you can’t find a Leica Magnus anywhere these days.
Yeah, they are unobtainium now. I won't surprised if Leica brings them back one day. I've heard great things about the Amplus, but nothing beats the Magnus

Yeah, they are unobtainium now. I won't surprised if Leica brings them back one day. I've heard great things about the Amplus, but nothing beats the Magnus
Available in Europe.

Want to throw a 1.5-10 in a box and send it my way? 😂
Reloading international could maybe import one for you. Or one would think you could special order it from Leica.